Duke Nukem Forever

Discuss Other Games Here That Don't Have a Section For Them
Grubb Industries

Duke Nukem Forever

Unread post by Grubb Industries »

By Adrian Kingsley-Hughes | June 16, 2011, 10:20am PDT

I’ve written a lot about Duke Nukem Forever here, so now that the game out it’s only fair (and right) that I complete the record. Verdict - What a total and utter disappointment.

I could say a lot about this game, but it would mostly consist of pointing out what’s wrong with the game. The game is ultimately a first person shooter (and a pretty rough, tedious, linear) that features Duke Nukem. There’s some lip service paid to nostalgia and the heritage of Duke, but it’s clumsily handled and quickly gets on your nerves.

I could say more. A lot more, but it’s all just so depressing. There are a few gems within the game, but almost all of the good stuff is buried under tons of tedium, scripted events and cut-scenes. The graphics are indicative of a game that’s been in development for twelve years, and while I didn’t expect the graphics to awesome, I expected them to be better. The game is hobbled by being a console game shoehorned onto a PC. The map is horribly linear offering little or no replay value (and it’s not like there’s much there in the beginning). You’re only allowed two weapons. And yeah, it’s also pretty offensive, which was to be expected I guess, but the problem here isn’t that it’s offensive, it’s the combination of unfunny and offensive that’s the problem.

But maybe the worst criticism of all I have of Duke Nukem Forever is that it’s a first-person SHOOTER game where you spend most of your time doing EVERYTHING BUT shoot at things.

I’m not sure who’s to blame for this mess - 3D Realms, Tryptich Games, Gearbox, or just everyone involved. I don’t even know if there’s any point in having an autopsy. Maybe it’s just a case of too many people being involved and too much time having elapsed since the last game. The Duke is dead on the slab and while the game hints at a sequel at the end, I really don’t see that happening.

Rather than prattle on more about the game I’ll leave you with TotalBiscuit’s excellent three-part review of the game. This guy manages to not only offer up a decent review, but also riff the game and make it funny.
Fighting for peace is like
Screwing for virginity
GRouND ZeRo

Re: Duke Nukem Forever

Unread post by GRouND ZeRo »

More disappointment when they delayed the launch date and locked out mostly everyone for the demo. Who want's to pre-order a game with a custom label on a GTX560 when the GTX560Ti can do much better. Laugh at those who got the cheap NUKE belt buckle because they pretty much got ripped off!

There is a question with the games out there now when it comes to DLC's and online playability. Are they actually worth paying more for?
{DOU}

.:Isabella:.

Unread post by .:Isabella:. »

Please..., do not piss me off... :x
I love Duke Nukem.... :D
P. S. : I hate UT2004... :puke:
Evil

Unread post by Evil »

This makes me sad.
Tommy
I Worship His Shadow

Unread post by Tommy »

I was watching some videos of the game yesterday. The multiplayer looks very very good.

Also, there is a sniper rifle and giant maps (sort of, something to explain later).

As well, the ability to mod the game with mutators.

I am gonna look and see if Linux binaries are out there.

Of course, most of us do not have the game and may not for some time.

T
GRouND ZeRo

Tommy wrote: I am gonna look and see if Linux binaries are out there.

Of course, most of us do not have the game and may not for some time.
Don't wait too long for those Linux Binaries, grab them while you can!

As far as prices go for a game.... $50.00 worth it for any game these days?? $20.00 would be a heck of a lot better!

You can now grab the Demo of it off of Steam for free! GET IT NOW!

- GZ
{DOU}

GRouND ZeRo

EyE CaNdY!!!

{DOU}

Tommy
I Worship His Shadow

Unread post by Tommy »

GRouND ZeRo wrote:Don't wait too long for those Linux Binaries, grab them while you can!Z
Server binaries. Once released, they will be available forever.

T
GRouND ZeRo

Tommy wrote:Server binaries. Once released, they will be available forever.
Just jump on it when it comes out... You may find someone sitting on the only copy asking for $$$ for anyone to D/L'd it. What was that crummy service called again??? Nevermind...
{DOU}

Return to “Other Games Of Interest”