UT99 video rendering..etc tutorial

Computer Related Topics Can Be Found Here
PaKDoA

UT99 video rendering..etc tutorial

Unread post by PaKDoA »

ok for starters i'm not a pro at this and everything i learn't was through trial and error, but if you have truble's pm me i'm allways around, or if you have something to add just post it.

first i would like to add the newest texture files..i only assume most ut gamers are using a nicer system now a days but if your not i sujest not getting the extreme end textures.

download all zip files and extract them to your textures folder in unreal tournament 99.

unzip and replace in this order

first-HighEnd(http://www.unrealtexture.com/UT/Downloa ... d/StockUT/)
second-MasterFiles(http://www.unrealtexture.com/UT/Downloa ... sterFiles/)
third-ExtremeEnd(http://www.unrealtexture.com/UT/Downloa ... d/StockUT/)
make sure you get all the files!

now some player's say patch 451 is for server's, not true, patch 451 was not made by epic, it fixes some small issus so i sujest getting the latest one 451b

Patches/GamePatches/Windows(http://www.unrealtexture.com/UT/Downloa ... s/Windows/)
UTPGPatch 451b.exe

and of course make sure you have all the bonus packs installed

BonusPacks(http://www.unrealtexture.com/UT/Downloads/BonusPacks/)

now for the GOODS, alot of player are using d3d, good on ya if you are, BUT if your only using d3d it is still the original render that came with ut, after d3d came d3d-7, d3d-8, d3d-9, and d3d-10 wich i run, d3d-11 is still beta testing so i don't trust it..i sujest getting both 9 and 10 to be safe, unzip these files to your ut system foulder, now the tricky part open ut and in options -> Preferences -> Video and then click on Change button. now hit the show all devices and select the d3d 10, if the game hangs or doesn't start, go back and select d3d 9, once ut starts up again hit the tild key(~) and type preferences..

here is where you can find the new d3d renders

D3D9 / (http://www.ut-files.com/index.php?dir=V ... ders/D3D9/)
utd3d9r12.zip

D3D10 / (http://www.ut-files.com/index.php?dir=V ... ers/D3D10/)
d3d10drv-v19.zip

OpenGL / (http://www.ut-files.com/index.php?dir=V ... rs/OpenGL/)
newest opengl drivers for those who use them i won't cover anything in this render only because i don't use it.

now in preferences i'm gonna start in the system just to make life fun, now i hope you can folow along or have another computer or printer for this next part because it get's tricky..lol,
ok in the advanced options window that should have poped up is where were gonna be doing all the fun, first go to the advanced-->game engine settings-->cache size megs(it should be around 4Mb) were gonna change this to 64Mb unless you have a rather abundant amount of ram(4+gig's), i have mine set to 256Mb because some of the texture files are huge... i did some playing around in my audio setings(effects Channels=32,OutputRate=48000Hz), but i don't sujest this if your not having any isues with it :), now into display it should go as follows

brightness--your setting 0-1.0--mine is at--0.7
capture mouse--true
curved surfaces--true
decals--true
mindesired frame rate--45
no dynamic lights--false
no fractal anim--false
no lighting--false
particle density--0
screen flashes--true
skin detail--high
slow video buffering--true
start up fullscreen--true
texture detail--high
use direct draw--true
use direct input--true
use joystick--false(unless you do, looser)

now finally the good stuff, go to the bottom Rendering :)
i'm gonna touch on direct3d,direcr3d9, and direct3910, only due to the fact that some of you didn't follow as close as they should have :), and that there can still be
glitches in d3d10 that i have yet to find.

now in direct3d it should go like this(some might have diferent options that i wont so ask if your not sure)

coronas--true
desc flags--1
description--(your videocard)
detail textures--true
high detail actors--true
shiny surfaces--true
use32bit z buffer--true
use 3dfx--false
use agp textures--false
use gamma correction--true
use mipmapping--true
use multitexture--true
use palettes--true
use precache--true
use trilinear--true
use triple buffering--true
use vertex fog--true
use video memoryVB--false
use vsync--true
volumetric lighting--true

now in direct3d 9 should go like this

buffer clipped actor tris--true
buffer tile quads--true
cache static maps--false
colorize detail textures--false
coronas--true
desc flags--0
description(your videocard)
detail clipping--false
detail max--2
detail textures--true
dynamic tex id recycle level--100
frame rate limit--62
gamma correct screenshots--false
high detail actors--true
masked texture hack--true
max anisotropy--16
max log texture size--8
max log UoverV size--8
max log VoverU size--8
no aa tiles--true
no filtering--false
num aa samples--16
one x blending--false
request high resolution z--true
scene node hace--true
shiny surfaces--true
single pass detail--false
single pass fog--true
smoothe masked textures--false
texDXT1 to DXT3--false
use 16bit textures--false
use 565 textures--false
use AA--true
use alpha palette--true
use detail alpha--true
use fragment program--true
use multi texture--true
use palette--true
use precache--true
use pure device--false
use S3TC--true(this is the new textures you installed earlier)
use software vertex processing--fales
use sse--true
use sse2--true
use tex id pool--true
use tex pool--true
use trilineat--true
use tripple buffering--true
use vertex program--true
z range hack--true

now after all that were on the direct3d 10 the one that you should be using(because it's the newest one lol)
my settings are like this and this is only becaus this is what works BEST for me, and i'll try and explain each setting so you can decide, you can tinker with some of these as well and tell me your results

alpha to coverage--true
anisotropy--8
antialiasing--16
auto fov--true
bump mapping--true
classic lighting--true
coronas--true
desc flags--0
description--(do i realy need to say it again)
detail textures--true
fps limit--100
high detail actors--true
LOD bias-- -1
parallax occlusion mapping--true
precache--false
shiny surfaces--true
vsunc--true

Alpha to coverage--Smoothens the edges of 'masked' textures such as grates and leaves. Unfortunately, this does lead to artifacts where the textures don't tile

(example). Requires at least 4x anti aliasing enabled to take effect. Valid settings: true/false. Default: false. Note: on some hardware this setting seems to result

in black backgrounds around HUD icons, etc. I suspect this is a driver issue.

Anisotropy--Anisotropic filtering, makes textures look less blurry at a distance. Valid settings: 0 to 16. Default: 8.
Console commands

Anti aliasing--Greatly improves visual quality by filtering jagged lines. Valid settings: depends on video card. 1 and lower is off. 16 is the absolute maximum. If an

unsupported setting is selected the renderer falls back on the next lowest supported one.

Auto FOV--Automatically sets the field of view depending on the window/screen size. Might want to turn this off if you want to set an extra-wide FOV for multiplayer

games. Valid settings: true/false. Default: true.

Classic lighting--With this enabled, the lighting matches that of the original renderers. Otherwise, D3D10 renderers before version 18 use a more vibrant lighting

scheme; after version 18 HDR is used (in which case reverting to classic lighting improves performance). Valid settings: true/false. Default: true.

FPS limit--Prevents the games from running too fast even with vsync disabled, by limiting the maximum frames per second drawn. The games seem to appreciably start to

speed up above ~200 FPS. Valid settings: 0 to whatever. Default: 100.

LOD bias--Setting this to a negative values makes the game use larger mipmaps (textures) than it'd normally do. Theoretically improves quality but far-off textures

tend to look too 'busy'. Valid settings: -10 to 10. Default: 0.

Parallax occlusion mapping (POM)--Gives surfaces 3D relief. Pretty GPU intensive, and you might not like the way it looks. Will use an external height map texture if

present, otherwise the detail texture is used. Valid settings: true/false. Default: false.

Simulate multi-pass texturing--Recreates how the Glide renderer (or other renderers with single-pass multitexturing disabled) draw translucent surfaces. Greatly

improves the look of various skies and alters the look of reflective surfaces and some windows. Can be turned off for the look most people will be used to. Valid

settings: true/false. Default: true.

Precache--Makes the game preload textures, which can lead to smoother gameplay. However, it does increase (un)loadtimes. Valid settings: true/false. Default: false.

VSync--Synchronizes the game's frame redraws with monitor updates, reducing visual tearing. However, some people seem to experience input lag with this enabled (in

other games as well). Valid settings: true/false. Default: true.

Bump mapping--Can be ignored unless you've got special textures installed. Attempts to fake bump mapping if textures have normal maps present. Requires a normal map to

be either present in the texture's bump map slot, or provided as an extra external texture. Valid settings: true/false. Default: false.

Unlimited view distance--Sets view distance to the maximum supported map size. By request. No reason to touch this.

now as soon as your done all these changes ut migh freeze or close don't worry all your changes you remain the same, just re-start ut and enjoy, and like i said in the

begining if there are any coments or disputes let me know i'm all ears...literally lol

extras....

Command Description

STAT FPS Show the amount of calculated frame per seconds
INI=inifilename Specify the .ini file to use for configuration. Normally UnrealTournament.ini.
PORT=num Sets the UDP port number for the Internet server.
SAY message Broadcast a message to other players in the game.
ADDBOTS x Adds more bots to the game.
KICK name of the player Kick a player
KICKBAN name of the player Kick a player and ban his/her IP. You'll need to edit your ini file or use the WWW remote admin to unban their IP
CPUSPEED=x Identify your CPU speed, useful for machines which don't autodetect their speed properly.
DEMOREC filename Record a demo to filename.
STOPDEMO Stop recording or playing back a demo.
DEMOPLAY filename Play a recorded demo.
EXIT Exit the game.
FOV x Set the field of view, for example "FOV 90" for 90 degrees.
NETSPEED x Change your desired network data rate. Use 2600 for modem, 5000 for ISDN, 20000 for Cable/ADSL/LAN
PREFERENCES Displays the Advanced Options window. (It's the only way to display it)
RECONNECT Reconnect to the current/previous server
STAT GAME Show game statistics like accuracy...
STAT NET Show network performance statistics including ping, packet loss, bytes/second
NATAN
Site Admin

Re: UT99 video rendering..etc tutorial

Unread post by NATAN »

Would be good to make this a sticky ?
{DOU}(-:__NATAN__:-) - ( Clan DOU Recruitment Officer )

Coming Soon: http://clandou.com/cms/

"For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky"

Take a look at http://www.retro-en-design.com :)
PaKDoA

Unread post by PaKDoA »

i would think, and i'll post updates as soon as direct3d 11 is fully functional
[hotskn]jasmin

Unread post by [hotskn]jasmin »

Please forgive my ignorance. What will happen if I drink this potion?
---Jas---
PaKDoA

Unread post by PaKDoA »

you will be endowed with mystical graphics, and the feel of realism.. and maybe a few more headshots
Abberation

Unread post by Abberation »

Honestly I dont speak this language :redflipoff:
Concrete

Unread post by Concrete »

Nice job Pak, but it is a bit to read all of this. I may take a look at a later time.
I killed a six-pack just to watch it die.
Without question the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you the wheel was also a fine invention, but a wheel does not go as well with pizza.
{DOU} yO mAmA

Unread post by {DOU} yO mAmA »

Yes, I too belong to the technically impaired.

You did a pretty good job of step-by-stepping but why is it we need to do this? What is the end result of all that work?

Is it a major improvement graphically?

mAmA
Rad

Unread post by Rad »

PaKDoA, you have done what we were talking about. Thanks for that. Good job.
Learning never to much. :D

Rad
:peace_v:
And remember that there is one and only one IP,
which you must never forget:

173.208.146.178:7777
Tentonaxe

Unread post by Tentonaxe »

I followed it step by step up until the settings part of it. when i launch the game i get a MSVC100.dll is missing several times, then shortly into the demo it crashes. also during the demo the textures are screwed up. reverting back to the d3d and old textures folder fixes it obviously, so its the d3d10 driver that needs the msvc100.dll that it can't find. ideas?

Edit: i had to install this: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/d ... laylang=en
Tentonaxe

Unread post by Tentonaxe »

i'm having trouble getting the brightness and contrast settings correct. changing the brightness doesn't help any, i need to modify the contrast but i dont see any settings that would affect the contrast. i'm getting halos over all of the really bright textures.

basically, any texture that is x bright gets a red glow.

Edit: fixed it by re-doing the changes to the unrealtournament.ini. they somehow got reverted. Thanks a lot for posting this. It definilty looks better, though i doubt it'l change my gamplay any.
PaKDoA

Unread post by PaKDoA »

reply to {yO mAmA}, graphicly yes it makes a huge diference, gamplay is the same.. if you died a lot b4 you will still after..lol
basicly the code for the original d3d is for direct x 5, d3d 9 yep you guessed it is for direct x 9 so on and do forth, so it you are running an older machine that only has direct x 9(a lot of xp users) you should be using d3d 9, if you have vista-win7 you should have no problems with d3d 10, and if you have a newer graphics card d3d 11(i find a little buggy and there are less options to control{apears darker on my system})..

thank you tentonaxe for your post, i didn't have that problem on my system but was nice for you to truble shoot it. and you are a good player to start with lol
===XD===

Unread post by ===XD=== »

Do you have a screen shot how it looks after these changes ??

Greetz
XD
Abberation

Unread post by Abberation »

is D3D11 a ton better than 9? I cant see certain textures with 9. Like on Danish Pirates I cant see the building on the right side of the map off the ship at all
PaKDoA

Unread post by PaKDoA »

sorry no screen shot, and i wouldn't use d3d 11 YET! i'm waiting till they come out with a second or third version, d3d 10 is best right now and i have little to no texture glitches

Return to “Computer Chatter”