SSD pric$e over SIZE or -speed-???

Computer Related Topics Can Be Found Here
GRouND ZeRo

SSD pric$e over SIZE or -speed-???

Unread post by GRouND ZeRo »

I have been looking over the reviews on SSD's lately and wondering how can people complain about ->solid state<-...

Well I'm sure that there are a ton of issues with cheaper drives... Thank god you cannot find a Maxtor easily!

Talking about brands.... Intel seems to be more solid than everything else. OCZ was well known for great line of RAM and so has Kingston and Corsair but what has this got to do with SSD's? There are many brands out there and I had some research/digging around to find out what will work well. I do not want to pay an arm and a leg for the Intel Brand and I do not want to suffer any sacrifice for speed by getting ADATA.

The OCZ brand was suggested to me as a good brand to buy but it seems their newer nanometer technology seems to be their downfall of their product line.

DOA's and dead drives after a month or so were found amongst the brand names and one brand actually has a support forum but only it is flooded with RMA requests!

My first trial with an 8 Gig SSD worked well but it wasn't as fast as I had hoped.

Using a generic 8GB CF card and I picked up the IDE adapter off of E-Bay for $5!

After I picked up an expen$ive 8GB Sandisk ExtremeIII CF to find out that a primary partition on it was somehow locked! I reluctantly sold it for 50% of what I paid for it. Blah! The new owner is very happy with it in his DSLR.

After some time that I read reviews and compared failure rates which were pretty bad for most brands it seems Intel was a darn solid 98% Good, some others seemed 75% Good and the one that I decided on was above 90% good.

I finally traveled to the computer shop(cheaper than eggy?) and was going for a Kingston V100 64Gig SSD but they went on sale for $10 cheaper and they sold out!(Nooooooo!!!!) but they had a Corsair F60 sitting there and there was a Discount on the item? So I asked if the discount applied before or after taxes??? Before!... SOLD! After taxes I paid $141.00!

Finally the Unboxing!!! >EyeCandy!<

YaY! I got One!
With 3.5" mounting bracket and screws!
Now all I need to do is take this weekend to swap everything inside my computer to accommodate this little puppy!

Corsair F60 for my Primary OS
WD 1TB Green for programs and other working stuff
2 x WD 500GB Blue for backup
2.06tb of space?

Thanks to http://imageshack.us/ for Headache Free Image Hosting.
{DOU}

Concrete

Re: SSD pric$e over SIZE or -speed-???

Unread post by Concrete »

Make sure you update the firmware and depending on what board you put it on instal the Intel Rapid drivers.
Wish I had talked with you before buying, for a few bucks more you could have got a Corisar C300, very fast.
Test is with this and I can before and after you do the updates to make sure you are getting the max speed out of it http://www.alex-is.de/PHP/fusion/downloads.php?cat_id=4

Also disable page indexing and NEVER defrag the drive. If you do a little more searching and depending on what OS you are using there are a lot of tweaks that will make it faster and last longer.
I killed a six-pack just to watch it die.
Without question the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you the wheel was also a fine invention, but a wheel does not go as well with pizza.
GRouND ZeRo

Concrete wrote:Also disable page indexing and NEVER defrag the drive. If you do a little more searching and depending on what OS you are using there are a lot of tweaks that will make it faster and last longer.
I had my heart set on a Kingston for about $89.00! but the place was sold out of them... $141.00(Cheaper then Eggy!) in total after tax I grabbed the Corsair F60!. Interestingly enough the pile of newly boxed OCZ's were just sitting there collecting dust! -Don't touch!-

I had turned off Windows indexing and I'm not too sure what else that I could do with it to maximize the life out of it. -Quick Format-. Page File location. I'm running Windows XP SP3 32 Bit and I have the SATA in BIOS in IDE mode. I'm not going to play with RAIDing just yet. AHCI Mode was recommended only for Vista and 7. Keep at the most 80% used space on it for the best performance(48Gigs/60).

Yes I will not Defrag this thing or Low Level Format it either(It has a better and safer 0 Write Utility).

Ok, now the good stuff... BENCHMARKS!

Using my WD 1TB SATA Green for my O.S.(What was I thinking?) I've got 3x 500GB WD PATA Blue Drives... 74GB 10,000 RPM WD Raptor?

If you were wondering here is my WD 500GB Blue PATA
The Read and Write speeds seem to be more stable.

And now the Corsair F60!

- I have not Benchmarked either the Raptor or the 8GB CF Card yet -

Yes I know that I'm not getting the fastest speed rated for the drive but I'm sure that it may be because I'm not using AHCI Mode or Flashed a new update(in AHCI Mode only).

I should be happy with this but I'm gonna try for a better Hard Drive other than the WD Green for my running Programs and Games and maybe the swap/page file too.

Any other stuff to mention...

AMD 630 CPU
Gigabyte GA-770-USB3 Motherboard(6x SATA II's)
GSkill 4GB PC10666 CL9 RAM (3.2GB usable only in 32Bit of course)
{DOU}

Concrete

You can change it to ACHI in the registry and then go back into the BIOS and change it to ACHI. You will see a HUGE gain in performance. Just do a little googling.

I will give you a few links that can help out a bit.

http://www.overclock.net/ssd/664738-how ... ndary.html

This one is for W7 but a lot of the same principles apply. http://www.overclock.net/ssd/700470-tut ... 7-ssd.html

Let me know if you want W7 64 bit Ultimate, I have it with unlimited keys and I can add it to my drop box for anyone who wants it.
Without question the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you the wheel was also a fine invention, but a wheel does not go as well with pizza.
GRouND ZeRo

Concrete wrote:Let me know if you want W7 64 bit Ultimate, I have it with unlimited keys and I can add it to my drop box for anyone who wants it.
Seriously?

I wanted an OEM Disk for myself though... Is there a good price for that?
{DOU}

jacobite
Location: scottland west coast home of the rampant lion rrroooooaaarrr lol

Unread post by jacobite »

GRouND ZeRo wrote:I have been looking over the reviews on SSD's lately and wondering how can people complain about ->solid state<-...

Well I'm sure that there are a ton of issues with cheaper drives... Thank god you cannot find a Maxtor easily!

Talking about brands.... Intel seems to be more solid than everything else. OCZ was well known for great line of RAM and so has Kingston and Corsair but what has this got to do with SSD's? There are many brands out there and I had some research/digging around to find out what will work well. I do not want to pay an arm and a leg for the Intel Brand and I do not want to suffer any sacrifice for speed by getting ADATA.

The OCZ brand was suggested to me as a good brand to buy but it seems their newer nanometer technology seems to be their downfall of their product line.

DOA's and dead drives after a month or so were found amongst the brand names and one brand actually has a support forum but only it is flooded with RMA requests!

My first trial with an 8 Gig SSD worked well but it wasn't as fast as I had hoped.

Using a generic 8GB CF card and I picked up the IDE adapter off of E-Bay for $5!

After I picked up an expen$ive 8GB Sandisk ExtremeIII CF to find out that a primary partition on it was somehow locked! I reluctantly sold it for 50% of what I paid for it. Blah! The new owner is very happy with it in his DSLR.

After some time that I read reviews and compared failure rates which were pretty bad for most brands it seems Intel was a darn solid 98% Good, some others seemed 75% Good and the one that I decided on was above 90% good.

I finally traveled to the computer shop(cheaper than eggy?) and was going for a Kingston V100 64Gig SSD but they went on sale for $10 cheaper and they sold out!(Nooooooo!!!!) but they had a Corsair F60 sitting there and there was a Discount on the item? So I asked if the discount applied before or after taxes??? Before!... SOLD! After taxes I paid $141.00!

Finally the Unboxing!!! >EyeCandy!<

YaY! I got One!
With 3.5" mounting bracket and screws!
Now all I need to do is take this weekend to swap everything inside my computer to accommodate this little puppy!

Corsair F60 for my Primary OS
WD 1TB Green for programs and other working stuff
2 x WD 500GB Blue for backup
2.06tb of space?

Thanks to http://imageshack.us/ for Headache Free Image Hosting.
Grasshopper

Unread post by Grasshopper »

Nice :lol:

Grasshopper :lol:
Concrete

GRouND ZeRo wrote:
Concrete wrote:Let me know if you want W7 64 bit Ultimate, I have it with unlimited keys and I can add it to my drop box for anyone who wants it.
Seriously?

I can't see quotes for some reason but I assume that it was about the W7.
I can get OEM disks too, being in IT and doing all the orders, every PC comes in with Windows loaded on it but we erase and load our own image on each machine.

But why an OEM disk? The one I have you just burn it as an ISO and boom, your done.

Well just PM me your Email if anyone wants it and I will put it in a share folder if I have enough room for it. Might have to use Grubs file server.

Edit: I don't have enough room, I will ask grub if we can use his file server if you want it.
GRouND ZeRo

Concrete wrote:
GRouND ZeRo wrote:
Seriously?

I can't see quotes for some reason but I assume that it was about the W7.
I can get OEM disks too, being in IT and doing all the orders, every PC comes in with Windows loaded on it but we erase and load our own image on each machine.

But why an OEM disk? The one I have you just burn it as an ISO and boom, your done.

Well just PM me your Email if anyone wants it and I will put it in a share folder if I have enough room for it. Might have to use Grubs file server.

Edit: I don't have enough room, I will ask grub if we can use his file server if you want it.
I usually like to have it on a solid medium...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6832116997

The price seems fair for it here.

You can download -something- from Microsoft!
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/A2ZPage.aspx
(I think...)

I may look into it for later if I really want it. I may just buy the Original Disk.
{DOU}

jacobite

hi ive had about 7 ssd drives all crosair performance edition and one revo drive two ssd drives in a raid o to eliminate sata bottle necks and is bootable in the pc i slot my revo rive didnt work driver issues set it back to ebuyer.com and went missing in the post no sign n never will probabily £200 down the drain might be coverd with the credit card i did a raid o with 4 of them 2 sets of 2 with ebuyer support on the fone never lasted long and crashed sent back driver issues yes update firmware and drivers i use driver guines just watch as they dont give drivers ment for just your version of windows pc get vista and xp too so i check its cost me alot of money but i wouldnt raid o them just leave them single less hassel and pc more responcive ive read many times not to defragment them as they have it built in when you instal windows into any hard drive you get the sata ahci driver acepted plus you get a 100mb instalation beside your partision beside your partision that you are going to instal windows onto thats windows on tools that go in there and all its programs to use..and page file i put it to o and zero again to set it. then do %temp% and up pops all your cookies and other stuff clear it all and it leaves just one folder then what a difference in speed u can do that with sata and ssd dont know about ide prob can cany mind that way your pc has to get it from the internet its self and not all the pages and cookies that is stored in your pc and web pages. and trim support thats an issue with alot of windows users if the trim support is real or not and if it is even there at all in the first place im interested in the ocz vertex 3 sata 3..6 gigabyte and the hsdl and another revo drive from ocz instal revodrive in the first slot in your motherboard yes take out the graphics card some people have instaled them in 2nd 3rd drive mines never worked till yahoo and found an artical about it thats not to well known yet then windows went straight in for me and do your ssd revodrive and my sata harddrive i instalthem all in ahci and select 6gig speed and you can instale them as ide and change them over and with any upgrade to a pc went it comes to drivers instalations and upgrades they can all fail and crash the system and if you dont put in the right driver in the first place it will be a corrupt instalation also ssds are down to 60/80 quid so quite cheap and pc is instant and internet is stutter free and gaming is lag free with a good gaming modem/router to do the jump you.l never regret it thankyou for taking the time to read this and god bless :D :D
Grubb Industries

Unread post by Grubb Industries »

I'm running OCZ Agility 2, 60 mb.
Not the fastest but it still beats the crap out of a standard HD.
Also less chance of corrupt files in OS.

cost aprox $170.00

Max Read: up to 285MB/s**
Max Write: up to 275MB/s**
Sustained Write: up to 250MB/s**
MTBF: 2 million hours
Lets see a new made in china seagate run for 2 million hours.

grubb
Fighting for peace is like
Screwing for virginity
jacobite

aye bought 2 western digital sata hard drives 640 gig at £60 each they are great real fast just keep wishing aye hadnt been angry at ssd drives at the time and had bot 1 ssd drive. you can say what you like but you canny wack it your hole pc is instant 0.01 ms seek time like your saying 2 million hrs running time and more if you look after them right and do follow instructions older ssd drives or new at the end of the day they are lightning fast and thats been the attraction with gamers and buisnesess alike to get things done and they do what they say if you buy one you,ll never go back...it was nasa that designed them for use in and out of space cause there light and the shear speed at what they do and handle and process and write it all to disk without any errors and are no weight the crystals inside them make no mistakes they are that good and dont heat up no moving parts old pc or new its better than the day you bought it with one of these without a doudt the best upgrade you can do to your pc so make the jump you,ll never regret it and you can download at unbelievable speed especialy with a clean instal and do not let any program or yourself adjust internet xplorer for best speed leave it will come up with 4 threads aye use speedupmypc to cut out all the other stuff on your internet connection like quality of serveice and that dont be fooled with increaseing internet xplorer to a thousand leave it at 4 threads and leave it there at that dont reduce it to 1 thread or your skrewed. and alot of other stuff you dont need running thankyou grub was nice to here your thots god bless all :D :D
Concrete

Don't forget that most boards have two drive controllers, usually Marvel and Intel.
It's a good idea to test which one is best for your system but from what I have seen, Intel controllers are typically better.
GRouND ZeRo

Concrete wrote:Don't forget that most boards have two drive controllers, usually Marvel and Intel.
It's a good idea to test which one is best for your system but from what I have seen, Intel controllers are typically better.
I'm already cussing the SATA controllers since I upgraded from one PC to another and the Data from a Backup Drive was completely corrupt... Good thing most of my Backup is on 2 500GB HD's!

- GZ
{DOU}

jacobite

Hi all i went and bought this ssd its been posted early yesterday with royal mail so could even get it in the morning usualy 2nd day post here tho. the
OCZ 60GB Agility 3 SSD - SATA-III - Read 525MB/s Write 475MB/s 50,000 IOPS
2.5" SSD / SATA-III / MLC / Midrange Performance / 60GB

OCZ Agility 3 SATA III Solid State Drives are designed and built to provide an exceptional balance of performance and value. The Agility 3 Series implements the cutting-edge SATA 6GB/s interface to deliver excellent sequential and random data transfer rates, significantly improving your computing experience over hard drives.

In addition to enhanced performance, an Agility 3 upgrade promotes cooler, quieter, and more energy efficient conditions compared to traditional mechanical hard drives. With no moving parts, SSDs provide peace of mind with their superior durability and reliability. Unique and innovative, Agility 3 SSDs deliver a one-of-a-kind storage solution

Your thots on this would be excellent how best to run and instal it will be ahci.
My mother board is the CROSSHAIR IV EXTREME MOTHERBOARD DESIGNED FOR OVER CLOCKING REPUBLIC OF GAMERS
also got an email saying this is the worlds fastest ssd drive
think its only for windows 7 tho for the trim support
look forward to hearing from you all tc and god bless :D

Return to “Computer Chatter”