closekill mod

Anything and everything about the game itself and our server

Moderator: Tommy

Otis_Firefly
Biggest DoucheBag Award

Re: closekill mod

Unread post by Otis_Firefly »

Thanks PUB!

Intelligent views/conversation is always appreciated.

However....

As you know we have several turds that connect to OUR server that feel like they are entitled to play here and create a general mess during their stay.

Since this thread is in public view I just needed to drive home the point.

Thanks for playing and have fun at DOU!
Grubb Industries

Unread post by Grubb Industries »

PUB, My advice to you is go find a nice run and gun freestyle server!
If you don't like disco go to a rock club.
do you get the hidden message or should I just say go away.
I just checked and there are 1129 UT servers if you look you may find one that has no rules to suit your needs.

have fun.

grubb
Fighting for peace is like
Screwing for virginity
Rad

Unread post by Rad »

To put it in a nutshell, Pub, I recommend you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sniper.

For me sniper is quite different from jumping monkey even though is he monkey.
And remember that there is one and only one IP,
which you must never forget:

173.208.146.178:7777
Pub

Unread post by Pub »

Grubb Industries wrote:PUB, My advice to you is go find a nice run and gun freestyle server!
If you don't like disco go to a rock club.
do you get the hidden message or should I just say go away.
I just checked and there are 1129 UT servers if you look you may find one that has no rules to suit your needs.

have fun.

grubb
cheers Grubb for that nice kind welcome. And for your information I do tend to stay away as I do not always enjoy the combination of mods. But as I get on with a number of the members of the clan here I like to stop by every now and again to say hi. If I do come to the server though I will also adjust to them and play by the rules of the server without whining about it. If you can find anyone here who can provide examples of me breaking rules deliberately then please feel free to share here.

So thanks for making a guest feel so included and welcomed :roll:

You also seem to be equating a lack of mods as a lack of rules, which is not the case and somewhat concerning. Mods dont make something camping - the style of play does. Mods can make it harder for players to play in a certain way (eg. run and gun) but it cant stop them - if someone wants to run around they will do so regardless of the mods. At the end of the day, a player will always play the style they want to regardless of the mods. Mods can help control the style but, in my opinion, often have too many negative effects, as previously stated.

For the record, I am an "old school" camper and everyone who knows me will say the same. This does not mean freestyle but I do prefer higher scoring games (as this is a shooting game!) and fewer mods, which enables players to play with fewer restrictions (and therefore less frustrations and moaning). But I am a camper and my opposition to many mods does not make it otherwise.

Rad wrote:To put it in a nutshell, Pub, I recommend you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sniper.

For me sniper is quite different from jumping monkey even though is he monkey.
But this is not a realistic sniper game so you cant compare. Real snipers don't have xlocs or shoot each other from shelves of oversized bedrooms. This is not a realistic shooter game. This game has lasted as long as it has because it is fun to play due to some of the "unreal" elements of it. My not wanting some of these elements to be removed through the addition of mods does not make me a "freestyler" or not understand the sniping concept.

This is your server and you guys will set it up however you want. I do not argue against this point. But when the debate was started about the mods I will discuss my opinion in the hopes that someone may read my comments and have a re-think on their own position. Equally, I enjoy reading well reasoned arguments that juxtapose my position in order for me to constantly re-think and challenge my own opinions. If I wasn't allowed/encouraged to do this then this section would not be in the public part of the forum.

I hope that clarifies my position because I would not want to be seen as unwelcome and someone who should "just go away" as I do enjoy dropping by the DOU server every now and again to say hi :D
Rad

Unread post by Rad »

I didn't mean to hurt your feelings, Pub.
I was referring to behavior some players only. That picture above explains all, I think. Sniper, human or monkey never mind, should camp (no running ) and kill from distance (no assaulting, nor close killing) - and these are the rules of DOU server.
I have accepted them and still have fun in playing here.
Servers, which rules I haven't accepted, don't visit at all.
:peace_v:
Last edited by Rad on Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And remember that there is one and only one IP,
which you must never forget:

173.208.146.178:7777
{DOU} yO mAmA

Unread post by {DOU} yO mAmA »

Pub,

I keep seeing you referring to "mod's" We have only one operating on our server that I'm aware of, the "NO Close Kill" mod. It was added less than a year ago out of frustration. Many here hate mods but finally gave up waiting for guests to cooperate and agreed to try it out. I don't think it's that restrictive myself.

mAmA
.::/3I§ON::.

Unread post by .::/3I§ON::. »

{DOU} yO mAmA wrote:Pub,

I keep seeing you referring to "mod's" We have only one operating on our server that I'm aware of, the "NO Close Kill" mod. It was added less than a year ago out of frustration. Many here hate mods but finally gave up waiting for guests to cooperate and agreed to try it out. I don't think it's that restrictive myself.

mAmA
No dodge and no telfrag as well :wink:
{DOU}.::/3I§ON::.
"Did you hear the one about me trying to die?

Fist in the air and a finger to the sky.

Do I care if you hate me? Do you wanna know the truth?

C'est la vie... adiós... good riddance... fuck you!..."5FDP"
Pub

Unread post by Pub »

Rad - don't worry, you haven't hurt any feelings - I just wanted to make sure my comments hadn't been misconstrued as Grubb was talking about me now not being welcomed, which I want to make sure isn't the case.

Mama - I am referring to mods in general. Some will apply here and some will not. I'm not attacking DOU, just making general comments on mods and their use. I like the fact that DOU has not installed a no run mod unlike many others :D In fact there is actually 1 mod that I think should be on your server that is not - the "no hide n peek" mod. This stops the invisibility graphics glitch that you currently have. It became standard on virtually all servers a long time ago and is an example of a mod that improves the gameplay of a server.

The discussion was started so I wanted to add my opinion in the hope that maybe some people would re-think and possibly not allow mods to overtake the overall gameplay of the server - which has happened on other servers. I dont want to see the DOU server become just another no fun, no frag, massive lag mod server. Mods should like Victorian children - "seen but not heard" - in the background but not interfering with the game play. If you want a no close kill mod then fair enough. But dont extend it beyond that of protection against close encounters only - dont try to make it encompass all nearby spots. You do need to accept though that the idea is to shoot each other and that, particularly new guests who do not understand about mods, players will try to shoot you when they see you. Therefore "backing up" kills will always be a part of the close kill mod, they go hand in hand. Extending the range wont change that and will only further impact on the game play.
Grubb Industries

Unread post by Grubb Industries »

Pub,
Your always welcome in our server. the rules are the rules and we all have to accept them and try to play the best we can. some are there to keep the game from being total kaos and hopefully enjoyabe for all Members and Guests.

Grubb
Fighting for peace is like
Screwing for virginity
{DOU} yO mAmA

Speaking for myself I'm not offended by your observations or comments (actually I find them insightfull :wink: ) but as you can see by a lot of the responses we are used to being attacked, told we have no right to run our server the way we do, and belittled by people who come here expecting a concierge to take care of their every need :lol: . Seldom does anyone come here to offer anything constructive.
We are a small clan with barely enough admins still active to keep things running and it does get frustrating dealing with all the day to day problems we experience here.

I thank you for your interest in having a mature discussion about the merits and pitfalls of game mods. Feel free to continue.

mAmA
{DOU} yO mAmA

.::/3I§ON::. wrote:
{DOU} yO mAmA wrote:Pub,

mAmA
No dodge and no telfrag as well :wink:
Right you are Bison. Since those have been around so long I forgot about them.

mAmA
Pink_Squirrel

Unread post by Pink_Squirrel »

This mod sucks....
We are the only ones affected... :redflipoff:

Return to “Clan {DOU} Unreal Tournament 99 Sniper Server”