closekill mod

Anything and everything about the game itself and our server

Moderator: Tommy

Tentonaxe

closekill mod

Unread post by Tentonaxe »

this is a sniping and camping server, i'm sure i really didn't have to say that. however, shooting someone from 20 yrds isn't sniping or camping. why is it allowed?
{DOU}Cygnus

Re: closekill mod

Unread post by {DOU}Cygnus »

We ran a poll a while back to extend the no-close kill by 50%. As far as I can tell, it hasn't happened yet.
If that doesn't have an impact we can extend it again.
Pub

Unread post by Pub »

no no no, remove the whole mod!

close contact does occasionally happen and shooting people close up is part of the game. i dont understand the argument for having it. close kill mod can ruin small maps entirely! people say that real snipers only shoot long range - but they also dont have xloc and the ability to crouch behind a box on a shelf whilst aiming at someone inside a pool table!! if you are not any good at shooting people close up then learn to a) get better or b) take spots where people wont come into close contact with you. real snipers have to learn the same thing!

if you want a realistic sniping game then you are in the wrong game! xlocs, dodging, fast shot sniper rifles and non-realistic maps are what make this game more fun that many of the others on the market and why this game is still going 10 years later whilst so many others have died out. besides, how can not being able to kill your enemy if he runs into the same room as you be realistic (or fun!?).

thats my humble opinion anyway.

oh and talking of mods, please install the hide-and-peek mod. to allow players to turn invisible at windows when the mod to stop this graphics glitch was created over 4 years ago seems strange.

i like playing old school camping so i would also ask for the no dodge mod to be removed too but i know what chance that suggestion has of being taken onboard lol :mrgreen:
Flash_Gordon

Unread post by Flash_Gordon »

Real snipers utilize both camoflage and stealth to get as close to a target as possible to ensure a kill. The close kill mod in this game is a good idea to ensure civility in close quarters...I understand why it was increased (because no matter how far you extend it someone will back up and try to get out of it's range and shoot). My personal opinion (just to offer another point of view) is that it is a good mod, but extending it too far also diminishes the game. It will be impossible to get everyone to play 'fair' so if you have clan restrictions on close kills, you need the mod. I wish everyone would realize that this is just a game, have fun with it and lighten up...getting worked up about this kind of stuff just ruins the fun for you and those you play with...get over it, chalk it up to bad manners and move on...
Flash_Gordon

Unread post by Flash_Gordon »

p.s. these guys all donate their time and effort here...aggravating them with little things will just make them not want to participate and THEN there will be no server to complain about...i respect everything they do and commend them on how well they handle all the griping i have see of late. To a lot of people this game is a passion, but passion can wain when aggravation sets in...remember that
GRouND ZeRo

Unread post by GRouND ZeRo »

Yeah, that close kill MOD should be modified for each map... Distance value for across the map of some sort.

I was just assulted many times even with this MOD in place. it's not fun when your camping and someone comes right behind you and shoots you in the back... Even hear their gun fire within earshot!

I was just on a big map and I was sitting in a shelf and there was a guy on a shelf above me and he took it upon himself to translocate to the shelf where I was and shoots me! That is not camping that is hunting. @#$%!

I even had someone else who couldn't kill me when he came up to me and I waited for him to leave and he just backed right up and killed me.

I'm sure there should be other MODs in place for camping but they tend to conflict with even trying to camp in a huge map when you spawn out in the open!
{DOU}

Abberation

Unread post by Abberation »

If its someone I know or think will just try to kill me I stay close to them until they leave. FUck them
GRouND ZeRo

Unread post by GRouND ZeRo »

Abberation wrote:If its someone I know or think will just try to kill me I stay close to them until they leave. FUck them
That's when the other person backs up enough to bypass the MOD
{DOU}

Pub

Unread post by Pub »

GRouND ZeRo wrote:it's not fun when your camping and someone comes right behind you and shoots you in the back... Even hear their gun fire within earshot!
My advice for this is simple - try turning round every now and again. you shouldn't need a mod to help you stay alive - in this case it is actually acting as a barrier to you developing your skills as you never learn how to protect yourself properly. A good sniper (hell, a good anything) is always aware of their surroundings. you should be covering all areas around you anyway. and don't forget - the good camper ALWAYS has the advantage on the hunter! you are the one already in position and so can start shooting first.

good awareness + good movement within a spot + good aim = a near unattackable player!!

I could also talk here about using dodge to make yourself a much stronger defender of your spot (dodging helps defenders much more than hunters) but as DOU have a no dodge mod (booo!) its not worth mentioning it further.
Abberation wrote:If its someone I know or think will just try to kill me I stay close to them until they leave.
actually, and perhaps I shouldn't admit this, I will DELIBERATELY camp next to people I come across when playing on servers with a no close kill mod. There are 3 reasons for this:

1) They cant then shoot me as the range limit is reached
2) I have a mini competition against them to see who is best at using the spot :mrgreen:
3) It highlights how silly it is to have a mod in a game designed for people to shoot each other that stops you shooting each other!

This mod (as with all mods) is a 1 size fits all solution for a very varied and subtle environment and more often than not will cause more problems as a result. Very few mods work evenly across all maps. The no dodge mod is one (although I disagree with it) because it doesnt drastically affect the interaction between players and the map - unlike the no run mod and the no close kill mods, which can severely impact on the ability of the player to play within a map.

Does that make any sense, I don't know if I have explained myself very well :?
{DOU}Cygnus

Unread post by {DOU}Cygnus »

I hear what you're saying Pub. But DOU's camping server means just that. The object here is that you keep yourself as concealed as you can while trying to pick off your opponents. It is not sniping when someone (intentionally or accidentally) goes into someone elses spot and a close-range, freestyle-like fight ensues.
The no-dodge mod is there to help encourage people to camp. Constantly jumping from side to side when stepping out from cover for a good look-around isn't camping.
I agree that dodging and defending yourself from someone coming into your spot are skills but those skills are for use on servers that are not considered strict camping.
Otis_Firefly
Biggest DoucheBag Award

Unread post by Otis_Firefly »

In essence - play by the rules set forth by DOU on OUR server - or don't play here at all.

We could care less about the "real sniper" can and would do BS - who is more skilled than whomever else ect ect blah blah fucking blah.

Our server our rules - we are the only ones entitled to play here however we open OUR server to the public for those who want to play on OUR server by OUR rules.

There are PLENTIFUL servers out there for those who choose not to.
Abberation

Unread post by Abberation »

Mr. Firefly said all that needs to be said in my opinion
NATAN
Site Admin

Unread post by NATAN »

Abberation wrote:Mr. Firefly said all that needs to be said in my opinion
Agreed!

Btw the instalation of the NoCloseKillMod is one of the best things that happend on our server in 2010.
{DOU}(-:__NATAN__:-) - ( Clan DOU Recruitment Officer )

Coming Soon: http://clandou.com/cms/

"For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky"

Take a look at http://www.retro-en-design.com :)
{DOU} yO mAmA

Unread post by {DOU} yO mAmA »

We know we don't represent the majority of UT 99 players out there. We are a dying breed. We don't expect everyone to agree with the way we choose to play the game. Still, we enjoy playing the game the way we enjoy playing the game. We don't force people to come to our server but if they want to play here we do insist they play by our rules. We pay for it for our own amusement so IMO we should be able to play here any way we want. We continue to take a lot of heat for that although to be honest I have a hard time understanding why. Again, we pay for it, shouldn't we have the right to decide the style of play here?

You made a very good argument Pub and those skills you mentioned would defintely benefit any player but I think there really isn't a right or wrong when it comes to what we are really talking about, It's preference. I play freestyle on other servers from time to time, it's a nice change once in a while but I'm glad I have a place to come back to where I can find a good-old-fashioned camping game.

mAmA
Pub

Unread post by Pub »

as you say, your server - your rules. i have no issue with this and will always try to play within the rules of any server I step into.

However, when other people start topics on the use of mods I will tend to take the opportunity to try to explain why I believe my point of view and opinion (which is all it is) would make for a better server/gaming experience for more players. It may fall on deaf ears or someone might listen - thats the beauty of open forums :D

My opinion is that (most) mods restrict game play. I can give examples of how, why and when for all of them. I wont because this is not a debate about the use of mod (although I really do enjoy those as its always good to get everyone's intelligent opinion on such devisive topics as this). But one of my biggest gripes is that they essentially remove the skill of existing players and hamper the development of new players. Then when these players try to take part in an interclan competition they suddenly find themselves out of their depth and reject that world because its full of "cheaters" and "runners" that don't fit within the mod filled world that they are used to. As a result, the level of competition falls, fewer teams participate in competitions and they become harder to organise, manage and participate in :cry: and with it, another piece of the community dies and more players leave the game.

And I appreciate that my perspective wont necessarily resonate with some of you. I do not expect my opinions to have any impact on how you run your server as I am sure you are all happy with it as it is (otherwise it wouldnt be that way :P ) . I guess I just hope that maybe some of you might recognise that quality that I see with mods and maybe realise that increasing them (or in the case of this topic, making the radius bigger) is not necessarily a good thing.

*rant over* :mrgreen:

Return to “Clan {DOU} Unreal Tournament 99 Sniper Server”