Really? WTF?

Anything and everything about the game itself and our server

Moderator: Tommy

NATAN
Site Admin

Re: Really? WTF?

Unread post by NATAN »

Hi Pie, thanks for coming to the forum. I’ve read the whole letter, like I always do when someone post here on the forum. I myself am from the Neherlands, so the time difference between us isn’t that much. I think it’s one hour earlier at the moment in England, isn’t it? I also do occainsionally play on the [UT] server and I share your feelings although there will also be lots of players who will like to play there with their rules….

We consider ourself as a strict camping server which alows as little movement as possible. The NoCloseKill mod was instalated almost a year ago now to stop the close kills and assaults, but as you will understand there are always players who try to get around it.

The deemers on our server are there to use and if you don’t use them others will. I myself ain’t fund of deemers either and if it was just for me to say we would get rid of them rightaway. But having said that I admit I like the change of gameplay every now and then on those particular maps that has more than just one or two of them on a single map.
I for sure will shoot a player from closeby when he uses a deemer. I don’t consider it as a cheap shot. It’s just a risk your gonna take when using a deemer.

I think we’re quite strict on following the server rules and also ask our guests to obey them, but as we are a very crowded server, sometimes there will be people who dont know the rules or just make some mistakes by accident. I know I make some errors now and then. The thing to do is to appologise and go on.

From what I personaly read from Eskimo’s post I dont have the feeling he is disrespectfull. Thats why I have invited him to come on TS3 to chat with us while gaming. It’s great fun to get to know the person behind the player. If you think an admin or a member is breaking rules post them on the forum as he did. If it is just one complaint we wont be that much impressed, but if players will complain more about a certain admin or member it will sure get our attention. The No close killing rule not counting in secret area’s is ofcourse nonsense. If that pisses you off I can understand that. We have a lot of work keeping the server clean from anoying and rule breaking guests. Even our own members get pisssed of more than once and avoid their own server when its getting real bad. It’s no fun when you can’t play yourself on your own server because of that.

At the moment we’re policing the server a lot more then we use to do, to avoid that good players are leaving the server.
I do not regard it as a waste of time to complain even though it is our server. We have a complaint sectio non the forum and it isn’t there just for show.

I dont think of Eskimo as a noob, but maybe others will. We are a community with members who will all have their own thoughts and meanings about things. Sometimes they are very different from eachother.

Well hopefully you did read my post like I read yours. The problem with posts is that it are just letters and they can be twisted by the readers mood or thoughts. That why I prefer to make contact on TS3. It can be downloaded for free and I’ll hope to get a chat with both of you one time.
{DOU}(-:__NATAN__:-) - ( Clan DOU Recruitment Officer )

Coming Soon: http://clandou.com/cms/

"For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky"

Take a look at http://www.retro-en-design.com :)
Nuker

Unread post by Nuker »

NUKER Here,
The only thing that I can say is PLEASE come into TS3 with us. Once you see how we operate all problems will dissipate. I will comment no further on this issue.
NUKER

:minigun:
I am proud to have you judge me as a man
through the lens of my enemies’ character.
Pie

Unread post by Pie »

I appreciate the invite to the TS3 to clear things up, etc., and Eskimo might be interested, however, I'm quite the introvert, and don't always feel so comfortable talking on TS3 with people I only know through a game.

The only times I've ever really used TS2 or TS3 were when they were a requirement for joining a clan. I'm not sure of Eskimo's opinion with going on there, but this is more his battle than mine anyhow.

I did read through all the replies following my post, and I appreciate the understanding and acknowledgement. If it is encouraged, then I will post more often to complain if I see any issues. I've been a sniper for quite some time, and I prefer to have fun than to have other people piss me off by breaking rules a majority of the time.
Eskimo

Unread post by Eskimo »

NATAN wrote:I’ve played with you on our server, Eskimo, and I think you are a pretty good camper.
Very sweet of you, but I'm a miserable sniper, even my wife will say =D I do appreciate the sentiment.
NATAN wrote:Will you come to TS3 to chat with us while gaming?
I'll be honest, I'm voice shy. I always feel uncomfortable on TS.
Nuker wrote:I don't know what makes you think you know me well enough to accuse me of NOT caring about the players on the Clan DOU server.
I never meant to give the impression that I know you. I distinctly remember saying something to the effect that I haven't seen you all that much. All I know is that from what little time I have played with you, you repeatedly broke rules (I'm not saying you intended to break rules, sh*t happens...) and gave me the impression you don't give a f*ck. I don't now if you actually give a f*ck, but you absolutely didn't act like you do. I say this with certainty. When I break a rule on accident, I have an "OH CRAP!" moment in my head and even before I have a second to think about it, I start saying sorry for it, it's just instinct for me. I've found most of the people I play with are similar to me with that respect. You are not. If it were me that did this to you, would your opinion of me be any different than what mine is of you? Something tells me you'd think I was dirt.
Nuker wrote:I can only end this in one way, please know that if we play together I'll have the most EXQUISITE pleasure tracking you down with my DEEMERS & watching you blow up real good like!!!
From this I read "nothing's going to change...." Oh, and it sounds like someone's read A Clockwork Orange one too many times.
knightmare wrote:THE DOU MEMBERS GIVE UP ALOT OF KILLS, AND WE GET KILLED MORE BECAUSE WE TRY TO SHOW COURTESY TO THE NEWBEES.
He did not.
knightmare wrote:MY BEST ADVISE TO YOU, IS TO PLAY ON THE DOU SERVER AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE, THEN YOU WILL SEE THAT OUR MEMBERS AND FRIENDS PLAY FAIR. I HOPE TO SEE YOU ON OUR SERVER SOON.
I did before this and will continue to do so after this. I play this server as often as I see it populated. Unfortunately I'm in Europe at the moment, and probably play at times opposite of most of you.
Mr Underhill wrote:Eskimo: "Nuker doesn't care!" Holy Shit I'll call the newspapers. Never seen you on the server but after reading what you wrote here, I feel like cheap shotting you right now.
Why is it you and knightmare have such different opinions of this person. One says he's respectful and fair, the other isn't surprised to hear he doesn't give a shit. Perhaps you should figure out exactly who is who before you start cheap shotting.
Mr Underhill wrote:Our server bro - respect it or leave. It's real simple.
This is the kind of attitude that gives DOU a bad name. Just because you have DOU in front of your name, you're not God(des)'s and not above the law, especially your own.

In closing, I don't know any of you very well and I don't pretend to. All I know is what I saw and what I saw pissed me off and I felt the appropriate thing to do was to let DOU know what I saw. For the record, I was not flying a deemer if you got that impression. Finally, I've been playing on DOU's server for years. If you weren't aware of this and decided to talk shit, then you ought to pull your head out of your ass and open your eyes: if you have no idea who's playing on your server then you're in no position to tell me anything about anything that happens on it.

Thank you to those who kept an open mind about the situation.
.:Isabella:.

Unread post by .:Isabella:. »

Only to add some simple things:
I know you very well Eskimo and I believe you are a good player. That is my point.
I think people is stressed due excesive traffic and work. To police the server is a heavy work every day for some administrators.
It is impossible tho check every player and every play or movement..
So mistakes can be done... by administrators or for you also.
I ask you to play into the confidence we are trying to be honest.
I apologize to you if you feel offended by any form of express from a DOU member.
Anyway, these discussions help us to improve our rules or our control policies

Please, have a nice day :D

P.S. You are welcome to play in our server.
{DOU}Cygnus

Unread post by {DOU}Cygnus »

Do you happen to recall the DOU member who said it was legal to close-kill in secret areas? I don't recall that ever even being brought up for discussion let alone voted on as a rule.
Should something like that happen again please also note the time and map so chat logs may be checked.
Pie

Unread post by Pie »

{DOU}Cygnus wrote:Do you happen to recall the DOU member who said it was legal to close-kill in secret areas? I don't recall that ever even being brought up for discussion let alone voted on as a rule.
Should something like that happen again please also note the time and map so chat logs may be checked.
I honestly don't remember, and wouldn't want to guess so that the wrong person gets in trouble. This was probably close to two years ago. I just remember it happening and getting really annoyed. If it does happen, I'll screenshot it if it happens again. =-]
KingrieveBasser

Unread post by KingrieveBasser »

Hi Pie!
I'm new to the Clan,.. and as of late have had computer and work issues (retail at Christmas?? omfg..) anyway,.. that have kept me from being as active as i wish to be...
that said,.. i read this entire post as well,... and i have to say i was dumfounded to see that someone felt NUKER was uncaring and harsh with ANY player without EXTREME cause...
I assure You (for what that may be worth) that NUKER is one of the most patient players i have ever played with...(well,.. Grubby is up there too to be honest) and if i didn't feel that way,.. i wouldn't be here either,...
I too am sorry that Eskimo had a bad experience,....and i am monumentally sure that whatever happened, if offensive,.. was COMPLETELY unintentional,... or radically deserved... More often than not NUKER is FARFARFAR too patient for my taste,..but then,.. that is what makes him better choice than me for an admin.....
I do hope to be on more VERY soon, and I hope to find times when both You and Eskimo are around,... i look forward to meeting and playing with You both!!!
just my 2 cents..... (course,..sometimes i end up with a canadian one in my pocket considering where i live,...so it's worth even less.... :P )
.::/3I§ON::.

Unread post by .::/3I§ON::. »

Pie wrote:
{DOU}Cygnus wrote:Do you happen to recall the DOU member who said it was legal to close-kill in secret areas? I don't recall that ever even being brought up for discussion let alone voted on as a rule.
I honestly don't remember, and wouldn't want to guess so that the wrong person gets in trouble. This was probably close to two years ago. I just remember it happening and getting really annoyed. If it does happen, I'll screenshot it if it happens again. =-]
Dont believe we had the close kill mod 2 years ago...
{DOU}.::/3I§ON::.
"Did you hear the one about me trying to die?

Fist in the air and a finger to the sky.

Do I care if you hate me? Do you wanna know the truth?

C'est la vie... adiós... good riddance... fuck you!..."5FDP"
Wave

Unread post by Wave »

Group hug. Lets Play on!!
{DOU}Wave

Pie

Unread post by Pie »

.::/3I§ON::. wrote:
Pie wrote:
Dont believe we had the close kill mod 2 years ago...
No, you didn't, but it WAS a rule. So, even without the mod, any up-close kill should be considered against the rules.
.::/3I§ON::.

Unread post by .::/3I§ON::. »

We probably had the no assaulting rule then which is close I guess but still different then close killing. The rules probably need to be modified anyways, rules only say do not back up to get out of range. I'm sure everyone has a different version of what distance is "too close"
{DOU}.::/3I§ON::.
"Did you hear the one about me trying to die?

Fist in the air and a finger to the sky.

Do I care if you hate me? Do you wanna know the truth?

C'est la vie... adiós... good riddance... fuck you!..."5FDP"
{DOU}Cygnus

Unread post by {DOU}Cygnus »

.::/3I§ON::. wrote:We probably had the no assaulting rule then which is close I guess but still different then close killing. The rules probably need to be modified anyways, rules only say do not back up to get out of range. I'm sure everyone has a different version of what distance is "too close"
I've always went by "If you can hear the other player shooting at you then they are too close." I know that's still not far enough for some but it is the only way I can think of tell how far away someone is.

The BEST solution is to set our 'no close kill' mod to the minimum kill distance we feel is fair and call it good.
It has to be very confusing for guests figure out what is fair or not when they can frag a player outside the distance set on the mod and still be told they are close killing. Not only confusing but it doesn't make sense to have it that way.
TOMMY needs to set a distance on that mod that we can agree with and just leave it at that. It has to be such a distance that anything outside of it will be a legal killing distance. We have a problem here and we need it solved. TOMMY is, as far as I know, the only one who can adjust the mod.
Either set it where it needs to be or get rid of it. It's just fucked up the way it is now.
Grubb Industries

Unread post by Grubb Industries »

I've asked tommy to extend the range by about 10 Meters, the problem i see is if your in a small room looking out a window sniping and some guy is out hunting he will enter the room go to a corner kill you and move on. IMO that is cheap.
tommy seems to think it's at a good distance now, so if i hear somone come in behind me I have tgo run up to them until they leave my spot. usually costs me some frags. I know many players are fustrated with this.
The mod shold be set to kill the player that is trying to close kill that would end that problem.

grubb
Fighting for peace is like
Screwing for virginity
NATAN
Site Admin

Unread post by NATAN »

Grubb Industries wrote: The mod shold be set to kill the player that is trying to close kill that would end that problem.

grubb
Is that possible?
Would really make a big difference if we could set the NoCloseKill mod just like the NoSpawnkill is set up.

But every solution creates his own problems I guess....
{DOU}(-:__NATAN__:-) - ( Clan DOU Recruitment Officer )

Coming Soon: http://clandou.com/cms/

"For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky"

Take a look at http://www.retro-en-design.com :)

Return to “Clan {DOU} Unreal Tournament 99 Sniper Server”