Redeemers on the sniper server?

Anything and everything about the game itself and our server

Moderator: Tommy

E=Me2

Re: Redeemers on the sniper server?

Unread post by E=Me2 »

I love it when Tommy chases Me around with his deemer arsenal.Gives us a break sometimes from the solid camper rules.And its always somethin to laugh about on vent.Nothin better than tellin someone "here it comes",then delivering that special package. Deemer Whore he may be,but he doesn't overuse them and it kinda breaks up some of the monotony of the sniper/camper server. I think they're nice sometimes to have if you don't over-use them.

THANX
<<<<<<<<E=Me2>>>>>>>>
<<<<<<<<{DOU}E=Me2>>>>>>>>>
{DOU} yO mAmA

Unread post by {DOU} yO mAmA »

COOL!

Thanks T.

mAmA
Otis_Firefly
Biggest DoucheBag Award

Unread post by Otis_Firefly »

Sweet!
Bonk

Unread post by Bonk »

Throw em on the freestyle server!
[FuN]Fortress

Unread post by [FuN]Fortress »

Technically, when you are flying around as a redeemer, you become a whole new pawn (that's what the class is called) within the game, looking through a fixed viewport that you see as the redeemer. You are not a player when flying the redeemer, your player is simply looking through a fixed camera actor (again that's what they're called, not a literal camera) attached to the redeemer missile which could be considered a player of its own having a lifespawn of 1 health. And why would you opt to remove an item like the basic health packs??? It's bad enough that you have to sit completely still until you get your last 2 health points taken out, players should at least have the chance to find health packs because they present no immediate advantage over another player. And you all can remove the secrets in all of the maps. It's as easy as opening up your editor, finding the secrets and setting their textures to 'invisible'. What a 'secret' (or 'bullshit' as I like to call it) is, is just a sheet (a 1 unit thick square sheet in UnrealEd) with the same texture as the wall next to it applied to it. Sheets are not solid objects and are extremely small, perfect for fine details in maps such as windows and bars when the mapper needs to conserve valuable memory space in his/her map. Sheets are not solid and allow the player to pass through them, but assigning an 'invisible' property will turn their texture into, well, see through. Or you can just delete the sheet..
{DOU} yO mAmA

Interesting, that's a very "Technical" description.

Do you do graphics for a living or something similar ?

mAmA
[FuN]Fortress

{DOU} yO mAmA wrote:Interesting, that's a very "Technical" description.

mAmA
No, but I've been a mapper for [FuN] for nearly three years now. Not only for UT99, but I can build and design maps for every version of UT out there (they all use basically the exact same editor shipped with the game), most Valve games like Counter Strike, Portal and Team Fortress 2 (which is not where my name comes from, I hear that a lot lol), the Quake editor is a lot like UT ed (if not the same lol). I wish I did SOMETHING for a living at the moment lol (I need the cash to get out of the house, 18 pretty soon), but I'm trying to get into DeVry University in Seatle to get a degree in electronic arts and the like. After that I someday want to land a job at Epic Games (the people who do UT, Gears of War and a ton of other things). Did I mention I can map for Gears of War as well?? GoW and UT use the same editor and engine (Unreal Engine).
[FuN]Fortress

[FuN]Fortress wrote:
{DOU} yO mAmA wrote:Interesting, that's a very "Technical" description.

mAmA
...but I can build and design maps,,,
yeah, I build my maps THEN I design them. It's a nice process. It's like building a house from scratch then making the plans afterwards, hopefully I remember where everything is or those plans are toast! (I really need to fix the order I words put my in)
.:Isabella:.

Unread post by .:Isabella:. »

Hi Fortress
Cogratulations y thx for your posts...
I'm learning to do maps with the Unreal Editor and I would like to ask you some questions if you have the kindness.
I'l send you a PM...
[FuN]Fortress

The best advice i can give to you is to take any map that is shipped with the game, open it, and save it as a new map. Pretty much copying the map. After that, take the map and change it up. Don't even add anything at all, and don't take features out either. Just see what you can come up with by mix-and-matching. I completely remixed Deck16][ and turned it into a map twice its normal size using copies of the same hallways and platforms.

Do that and you'll end up with something like this on your hands:

And when you make your own maps once you take some examples from the best mappers around (tutorials from them at the end of the post), you end up with this:

(pictures from the maps "DM-!![FUN]The Decks" and "DM-!![FUN]Industrial" by Christian "[FuN]Fortress" Bridges)

Use this http://www.icecreamyou.com/design#I%20 guide to help you become better at mapping. This is what I base all of my maps on now, with help from tutorials from Hourences as well, using these can make you a powerful mapper.

(The Decks contains 1 redeemer-added after I was told I was off topic :D)
Last edited by [FuN]Fortress on Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
{DOU} yO mAmA

Guys, we are getting waaaaay off topic here.

If you'd like to talk about map building please start a new thread.

I'm sure there are many who would find it interesting :wink:

Thanks,

mAmA

Return to “Clan {DOU} Unreal Tournament 99 Sniper Server”