Farewell XP -- running UT99 on Windows 10?

Computer Related Topics Can Be Found Here
frag_magnet

Farewell XP -- running UT99 on Windows 10?

Unread post by frag_magnet »

The time has come to divorce my loyal XP machine. Actually, the time probably came about five years ago. Often now I'm running into more and more things that no longer support XP. The new machine will be Windows 10.

So, more important than getting Quickbooks set up again, I want to make sure we keep UT99 running. Not really my field of expertise, so a friend handles the work. Any words of wisdom -- patches, upgrades, whatever to ensure uninterrupted service?
vioguez

Re: Farewell XP -- running UT99 on Windows 10?

Unread post by vioguez »

You know i don't have 99 on Windows10 quite yet myself.I am still running Windows7 and 99 runs like a charm on it.I know soon i will have to get Windows10 but for now I will stay with 7.

Tommy
I Worship His Shadow

Unread post by Tommy »

I've been running Win 10 since it came out.

UT99 will run without a problem. Just install it and go. UT2003, UT2004, UT3, and UT4 all run as well without any problems. Hell, even the original Unreal runs just fine.

If you have a problem just post here, but I doubt you will.

T
frag_magnet

Cool, glad to hear it. It was just a question my computer nerd raised, so thought it best to get it out of the way now.

At first we were looking at going with 7, but hell that's getting old now too. In a few more years I'd be in the same boat I'm in now. I'm looking forward to being able to surf without getting the odd popup saying, "We no longer support XP. Upgrade your machine or stay in the gutter".
[OMA]Bite_Me

Unread post by [OMA]Bite_Me »

I run UT on Win 10. It mostly runs well. It does seem to crash more often though.
NATAN
Site Admin

Unread post by NATAN »

I run UT99 on Windows 10 and never had any problems so far. :)
{DOU}(-:__NATAN__:-) - ( Clan DOU Recruitment Officer )

Coming Soon: http://clandou.com/cms/

"For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky"

Take a look at http://www.retro-en-design.com :)
Mr_head
Clan DOU Recruitment Officer

Unread post by Mr_head »

Been running windows 10 since its release and its runs most things fine, i even play red alert 2 from time to time and that was made in 95 i think?, just update your graphics renderers for your gane and everything will be smooth.

Mr head
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs,
There is also a negative side.
Mr_head

Unread post by Mr_head »

[OMA]Bite_Me wrote:I run UT on Win 10. It mostly runs well. It does seem to crash more often though.
For some reason i always get an audio failure error from ut99 when i close the game, not that it matters as it only happens when i close lol, but that only started happening since windows 10.
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs,
frag_magnet

Back from my trip and my new 10 machine is up and running. The game is installed and we did an initial run at my buddies house. Graphics were a little choppy, but we were trying it on an ancient CRT he had handy and that might have been the issue. Haven't had a chance to run it here yet. I hope to be back :snipe: after getting things settled here soon.
frag_magnet

Well, it's running but it's not silky smooth. Is that what was mentioned with updating the graphics renderers? If so, how do I go about making such an update.
Mr_head

Unread post by Mr_head »

http://www.ut-files.com/index.php?dir=Video_Renders/ this is where you will fins any renderer you will need, most people use the D3D9 renderer, but it depends on your graphics card really, download the the file and copy files your ut99 system folder directly, i use the d3d9. Some use open gl, basicly take the latest version and add it ti your game, when rhe game opens you should be able to select your graphics setup abd select the renderer you want to use. You can do this on game startup 9r in the game settings, if your stuck get onto ts and someone will happily talk you through it
frag_magnet

Thanks for the help. Still working on it. It got better using a patch and updating DirectX to where it's not laggy anymore, but still working on it. My new install is only version 432 and when I tried to install the 436 update it wants the CD, so my friend is hooking me up with that. Problem is it's dark like it's running minimized and I can't maximize it. I'll be on playing where I can see and everybody will benefit from the easy target for the time being! :snipe: Might need to change my username to Moleman.
frag_magnet

Finally got it going. Updated to 436 and running OpenGL seems to be the right combination. That's the only one where I can get the contrast up where I'm not playing in the dark. Hope it holds out. Good to have it going again.

Return to “Computer Chatter”