Improvements to attract users

You can talk about anything here

Moderator: .::/3I§ON::.

IsabellaSM

Improvements to attract users

Unread post by IsabellaSM »

Hi guys

Are you thinking of some improvements to the server or have you just let it die?

Best Regards

Isabella

:gib:
NATAN
Site Admin

Re: Improvements to attract users

Unread post by NATAN »

We're thinking about putting some new maps on it.

Any ideas?
{DOU}(-:__NATAN__:-) - ( Clan DOU Recruitment Officer )

Coming Soon: http://clandou.com/cms/

"For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky"

Take a look at http://www.retro-en-design.com :)
IsabellaSM

Putting new maps on the server is a good idea, but I think not enough. The most populated servers currently have new weapons and effects like nuclear bombs or sniper rifles with new features and more realistic sounds. Map voting selectors are also different, allowing different modes and weapons to be accessed with the same maps. For example on one of the servers, on some maps, when you play, all the players are invisible. That adds excitement to the game.

LeadFree, Uglytroll y others play every day in that servers. You can ask them.

Natan, I think you should see for yourself.
NATAN
Site Admin

Unread post by NATAN »

Thanks for giving us something to think about. :D

NATAN
Site Admin

Unread post by NATAN »

IsabellaSM wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:26 am Putting new maps on the server is a good idea, but I think not enough. The most populated servers currently have new weapons and effects like nuclear bombs or sniper rifles with new features and more realistic sounds. Map voting selectors are also different, allowing different modes and weapons to be accessed with the same maps. For example on one of the servers, on some maps, when you play, all the players are invisible. That adds excitement to the game.

LeadFree, Uglytroll y others play every day in that servers. You can ask them.

Natan, I think you should see for yourself.
:!:

What do you think Tommy? Sounds good to me.

Anyone else suggestions to add?

frag_magnet

Unread post by frag_magnet »

I know we often talk about thinning out the less popular maps but I'm as guilty as anyone about not sitting down and making a list.

Can the bot activity level be turned up on the maps where you have to go looking for them? There are so many solo players these days and you'll notice that the ones that know pick the maps where the bots are doing stuff. It might help keep up the interest for those who wander in and find a map that's essentially dead.
IsabellaSM

frag_magnet wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:27 pm I know we often talk about thinning out the less popular maps but I'm as guilty as anyone about not sitting down and making a list.

Can the bot activity level be turned up on the maps where you have to go looking for them? There are so many solo players these days and you'll notice that the ones that know pick the maps where the bots are doing stuff. It might help keep up the interest for those who wander in and find a map that's essentially dead.
There are two different things regarding bots, in one case, the more or less aggressiveness of the bot is handled in the server settings, which have the option of adjusting the names and characteristics of the bots. Another thing is if these move or are essentially still. That depends on the construction of the map and does the mapper. An elaborate trajectory is built to move them, but once the map is built it can no longer be modified.
Rad

Unread post by Rad »

:peace_v: Hello Belka, it's nice to see you are still around.
As for the server, I think:
1. Life has recently gained such a pace that people most often fall into the server for 2-3 fast games.
2. We often visit the server to relax and meet old good friends, challenge and competition are a secondary matter.
3. Each of the servers has its own spirit, which makes us feel better on one and worse on the other. I am referring to the server changes proposed by Isabela, such as new weapons, maps with invisibility etc.
4. I also have the impression that some cool maps have been removed from the server, and those less playable maps remain.

My conclusions:
- We need to add maps that will not be too large, but at the same time enable camping (not freestyle).
Also, what frag_magnet has noticed, bots will have greater mobility.
- Adding new weapons does not seem to me a good idea - if I want some variety, I will go to another server.
- I also feel guilty that I've never made a list of maps that I think are worth adding to the server.

For a good start, Tommy, please: :wink:
- DM-!!{dFb}-SubwaySniper!
- DM-!!SD!!-CasanovaSuite
- DM-[ARC]KitchenWars
- DM-[AAA]Daycare
- DM-(AMLP)GameroomDanemix
And remember that there is one and only one IP,
which you must never forget:

173.208.146.178:7777
frag_magnet

Rad wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:40 am
- I also feel guilty that I've never made a list of maps that I think are worth adding to the server.
You can do this from memory better than me. Can you make up a quick list of the obvious maps that make people go "Ugh" when they come up. I have to sit down with the list and think my way through it and often open them to make sure I have the right ones. I should start keeping a list when playing. At the very least I think one should be removed for every new one added, if not two removed. The list is so damn long as it is.
IsabellaSM

Rad wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:40 am My conclusions:
- Adding new weapons does not seem to me a good idea - if I want some variety, I will go to another server.
The server is empty all the time and there is no way to relax on it. On the other hand, because it is empty, the guests stop coming and even the members of this clan go to other servers. One thing leads to another and the server will eventually die.

It's not about what one or two clan members like, it's about the server being attractive to everyone and guests. Today very few players come to the server because it is boring to be alone, struggling with bots on huge maps. I think you have to re-invent yourself. It is what other clans have done and successfully.

New map voting organizers create numerous weapon options for the same maps within the server. Several of those options are sniper, but with new rifles and other weapons, better sounds, more effective telescopic sights, and new game effects as well. So it's all about new sniper weapons and not weapons like the original Unreal game.

These servers really are interesting and motivating to play. The proof is that those servers are full of players. There are a large number of former users of the Clan DOU Sniper Server, who play on those servers, including various members and former members of the DOU Clan.

I am only giving ideas as NATAN asked me and I am not creating any discussion within the clan. I started by asking a question and I think the decisions are up to the administration.

I attach a photograph of the map vote. In this, there are not only sniper weapons but also others. Clan DOU could have something similar but only with sniper rifles and weapons.

Rad

Unread post by Rad »

frag_magnet wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:48 pm
You can do this from memory better than me. Can you make up a quick list of the obvious maps that make people go "Ugh" when they come up. I have to sit down with the list and think my way through it and often open them to make sure I have the right ones. I should start keeping a list when playing. At the very least I think one should be removed for every new one added, if not two removed. The list is so damn long as it is.
I can't promise it, but I'll try 8)

Rad

Unread post by Rad »

IsabellaSM wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:13 pm
Rad wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:40 am My conclusions:
The server is empty all the time and there is no way to relax on it. On the other hand, because it is empty, the guests stop coming and even the members of this clan go to other servers. One thing leads to another and the server will eventually die.

It's not about what one or two clan members like, it's about the server being attractive to everyone and guests. Today very few players come to the server because it is boring to be alone, struggling with bots on huge maps. I think you have to re-invent yourself. It is what other clans have done and successfully.

New map voting organizers create numerous weapon options for the same maps within the server. Several of those options are sniper, but with new rifles and other weapons, better sounds, more effective telescopic sights, and new game effects as well. So it's all about new sniper weapons and not weapons like the original Unreal game.

These servers really are interesting and motivating to play. The proof is that those servers are full of players. There are a large number of former users of the Clan DOU Sniper Server, who play on those servers, including various members and former members of the DOU Clan.

I am only giving ideas as NATAN asked me and I am not creating any discussion within the clan. I started by asking a question and I think the decisions are up to the administration.

I attach a photograph of the map vote. In this, there are not only sniper weapons but also others. Clan DOU could have something similar but only with sniper rifles and weapons.

Thanks Isabela for showing me it. I like it, but I like our server more :D

frag_magnet

IsabellaSM wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:13 pm

There is a lot of wisdom in this. A lot of clubs of all types are suffering because they refuse to change. You don't sell the product you make, you make the product people want to buy. Times change and I think it's possible to maintain the spirit of having a proper sniper server while adding some of the features that others find attractive.

The whole thing about so many clan members playing elsewhere is disappointing. It has been shown time and again if you go on when it's empty that very soon others will follow, but very few want to be the first to stick their toe in the water.
IsabellaSM

Rad wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:25 pm
Thanks Isabela for showing me it. I like it, but I like our server more :D
:( :( :( :? :? :?
I'm very sorry for your comment and your way of seeing the point. I invited you to play the other server so you can see that there are other good and interesting things that you could have on your own server, and not to show you which is the best server, nor to know which one you like the most.

:smash:
Tommy
I Worship His Shadow

Unread post by Tommy »

frag_magnet wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:48 pm
Yes, this would be a good thing. But more important right now would be a list of the maps on the server that must not be removed. Since I am doing a server refresh i need to know what not to remove.

T

Return to “General Board”