For Charger...

A Place To Say "Hey" To Clan DOU

Moderator: NATAN

{DOU}Cygnus

For Charger...

Unread post by {DOU}Cygnus »

Kamikaze pilots wore their headgear because (if I'm not mistaken) they still needed to communicate and that's usually where the speakers for their radio was located.

Kamikaze link:

http://www.sinclair.edu/sec/his103/diary/103d01j1.htm
Tommy
I Worship His Shadow

Unread post by Tommy »

Plus one would assume that flying in those old planes was a rocky experience, especially when anti-aicraft discharges are going off all around you. So it stands to reason that they would need to stay conscious long enough to make that last dive.

T
{DOU}Charger

Unread post by {DOU}Charger »

In 1944 when the first Kamikaze attack groups were created they didn't have that technology. I do agree with tommy that they still had to get there.

After the fall of Saipan in July, 1944, Admiral Takijiro Onishi, commander of 1st Air Fleet in the Philippines, created the Special Attack Groups of suicide dive-bombing pilots known as kamikazes. Young men were inspired to volunteer as they wished to die for their country. Pilots were trained in just over a week to fly their modified Mitsubishi A6M fighters.

The first kamikaze attack on enemy warships first took place in the struggle for the Philippines in 1944. Kamikaze pilots aimed at the central elevator on carriers and the base of the bridge on large warships. As they had to fly at low altitudes they were very vulnerable to anti-aircraft guns.

During April 1945 kamikaze pilots under Admiral Soema Toyoda launched 1,400 suicide missions as part of Operation Ten-Go. It is estimated that these suicide pilots sunk 26 ships during this campaign. More than 2,000 kamikaze missions were also flown against the US fleet at Okinawa (April-July 1945). By this time the US Navy had learnt how to deal with kamikaze attacks and few ships were hit.

Kamikaze pilots continued to be active until the dropping of the atom bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Admiral Takijiro Onishi, commander of the Special Attack Group, committed suicide when he heard that Emperor Hirohito had surrendered.

Now, on to question number 2...... :)
Fighting on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics.
Even if you win you're still retarded.
{DOU}Cygnus

Charger wrote:In 1944 when the first Kamikaze attack groups were created they didn't have that technology. I do agree with tommy that they still had to get there.

:)
Hmmnm. The oval-shaped projections on the side of their head-gear would indicate that you're mistaken.

JB
{DOU}Cygnus

Tommy wrote:Plus one would assume that flying in those old planes was a rocky experience, especially when anti-aicraft discharges are going off all around you. So it stands to reason that they would need to stay conscious long enough to make that last dive.

T
I imagine it was quite horrendous just getting to the target in most cases.
However, you need to keep in mind that that the "helmet" Charger refers to is actually headgear that is flexible, made out of leather and would offer little protection against a concussion. They're much more closely related to what was worn in WW I than what is used today.

JB
{DOU}Charger

Unread post by {DOU}Charger »

Sorry X, but the oval projections were not part of the of the helmet. They just had leather with fur lining, most likely for warmth. As for the projections, headphones. Handheld mics. were used also.[/img]
Fighting on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics.
Even if you win you're still retarded.
Moon

Unread post by Moon »

BTW, how can you put pictures in a post like you just did (and Bison and others...) :?: :roll:
-------------------o00o---°(_)°---o00o----------------------
Tommy
I Worship His Shadow

Unread post by Tommy »

Moon wrote:BTW, how can you put pictures in a post like you just did (and Bison and others...) :?: :roll:
You do it with the img tag like this:

Code: Select all

[img]http://www.moonspictures.com/picture.jpg[/img]
T
.::/3I§ON::.

Unread post by .::/3I§ON::. »

Shouldn't this be in the general forum Image
Tommy
I Worship His Shadow

Unread post by Tommy »

You just aren't in the loop :o

In Chargers application, in the questions field, he asked why Kamikaze pilots wear helmets.

T

Tommy wrote:You just aren't in the loop :o

In Chargers application, in the questions field, he asked why Kamikaze pilots wear helmets.

T
Still don't belong here :P
{DOU}Cygnus

Charger wrote:Image

Sorry X, but the oval projections were not part of the of the helmet. They just had leather with fur lining, most likely for warmth. As for the projections, headphones. Handheld mics. were used also.[/img]
I still have to disagree. The fur lining in their headgear covered most if not all of the interior.
Some of the photos I've seen of Kamikaze pilots clearly shows built-in headphones.
But all that aside, the point I was trying to make is that what they wore wasn't a helmet.

JB

)(er)(es wrote: I still have to disagree. The fur lining in their headgear covered most if not all of the interior.
Some of the photos I've seen of Kamikaze pilots clearly shows built-in headphones.
But all that aside, the point I was trying to make is that what they wore wasn't a helmet.

JB
Dont bother charger :roll: JB will disagree with what ever you say or post 8)
Tommy
I Worship His Shadow

Unread post by Tommy »

)(er)(es wrote:Some of the photos I've seen of Kamikaze pilots clearly shows built-in headphones.
Not necessarily headphones. That might be some sort of built in deal so they can still hear while wearing the helmet. I would assume that a leather helmet that was fur-lined might impede my ability to hear...just a thought.

T
Tommy
I Worship His Shadow

Unread post by Tommy »

{DOU} -=BiSoN=- wrote:
)(er)(es wrote: I still have to disagree. The fur lining in their headgear covered most if not all of the interior.

JB
Dont bother charger :roll: JB will disagree with what ever you say or post 8)
Me too!

T

Return to “Introduce Yourself...”