Buy a Mac???

Computer Related Topics Can Be Found Here
Draco

Buy a Mac???

Unread post by Draco »

Tommy and I have always taken cheap jabs at one another about Mac, Windows, and Linux. He always says to everyone "Buy a Mac". Well, I realized that not everyone has or wants to shell out $2000 for a Mac when they already have a perfectly good PC just choking on the mouth full of Crap Micro$oft has pumped it full of. Here is the solution for all of us PC owners that don't feel like getting raped By Apple or Microsoft for a whole new operating system or more hardware. Linux runs just as stable as Mac does and both have Windows beat like a red headed step-child. Best of all, Ubuntu Linux is totally free.

OSX/Ubuntu comparison

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0pyvi0cySw

Vista/Ubuntu comparison

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC5uEe5OzNQ

**Just a disclaimer... If you are nervous about this in any way, DO NOT DO IT!!!!**

You wanna give Linux a try with no risk? Download Ultimate Edition 2.0 and burn the iso to a DVD. Insert the DVD while you are running in Windows and allow the autorun feature to start. A window will come up asking if you wanna install Install in Windows. Select yes. The next window will ask you which hard-drive and how much space you would like to allocate. Make sure you have at least 8 gigs of hard-drive space to spare. Enter a username and a password. Click Install. It'll copy a bunch of files and just follow the directions. After a reboot and a completion of the install, at each power-on you'll have a windows dual-boot where you can select windows or ubuntu. When you're done with giving it a trial basis, Go to your "Add or Remove Software" in your Windows control panel and uninstall it just like you would any other program.

I haven't found too many driver issues like there has been with linux in the past. ATI and Nvidia drivers are both supported fairly decently. There is an Open-Source equivalent to just about every program from Photoshop to AutoCad. And, again, it's all free.

Download the ULTIMATE EDITION 2.0 Iso here

http://ultimateedition.info/ultimate-edition-20/

Have a good one and enjoy.

~Johnny Jones
Last edited by Draco on Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
{DOU}Pyro

Re: Buy a Mac???

Unread post by {DOU}Pyro »

Sounds pretty cool. Downloading it on Bitorrent now. will let you know
Otis_Firefly
Biggest DoucheBag Award

Unread post by Otis_Firefly »

I'm curious about Linux, I trust Pyro to fill me in. But in short what are the benefits opposed to running XP? All of my programs (Photoshop etc) are windows based. Aint that gonna cause a problem???
Draco

Unread post by Draco »

Linux has something called wine that is a windows emulator. It allows you to run windows programs in Linux environment. They also have vmware that allows you to install XP within linux. The biggest benefit to running linux is NO VIRUSES!!! You could actively seek out windows viruses, download them, and even execute them but they aren't going to infect you. They do suggest antivirus protection but it's so that you don't pass on something harmless to you to a windows user. LOL. You can surf the web without a care and at a faster rate. In windows, with each program you open your computer slows down. With Linux you can have 20 programs running at once and not have an issue. The multiple virtual desktops really make life easy because you can have a program open full-windowed on each and change between desktops with a single-click.

In the end, It always boils down to taste and preference in a certain product. When windows pushed XP service pack 3 down, it tore up every computer in my house. I decided to make the full switch to Linux at that point and haven't looked back. Linux is very easy to navigate in as just an everyday user. Updates in Linux are never mandatory and rarely cause any problems. You can download the DVD and run it on Boot-up and use the LiveCD. It installs nothing and runs everything in memory but is a bit slower and longer but you still get a taste of it.

~Johnny Jones
Otis_Firefly
Biggest DoucheBag Award

Unread post by Otis_Firefly »

Alright - I'll give it a look!

:peace_v:

Thanks Draco.
{DOU}Jay

Unread post by {DOU}Jay »

Sweet, im all over it. I've wanted to toss linux on my laptop since I bought it. With the option to easily install into windows i can show others how to use it first. Nice!
{DOU}Jay

Unread post by {DOU}Jay »

This shit is sweet!

It takes a minute to grab a few drivers you need, but for the most part it just runs out and grabs everything you need whilst you wait.

Im running it now. I love it! Kiss my ass vista!!! :lol:

Return to “Computer Chatter”