Redeemers on the sniper server?

Anything and everything about the game itself and our server

Moderator: Tommy

{DOU} yO mAmA

Redeemers on the sniper server?

Unread post by {DOU} yO mAmA »

This got started in another thread about a problem player. I'm starting it here so all can participate, member and guest alike.
I think, at the least, it will be interesting to hear peoples views on the subject. That being .....

Redeemers in maps on the sniper server ?

I like them, and I don't.
They are fun for me when there are few players. I often use them to get an idea of where someone is hiding, even when I can't blow them up :lol: . The down side, from my perspective, is they are often used as a tool of revenge, something that is against our server rules. A player who gets shot ,that spawns anywhere near one is going to send that guided missle to do what they are not supposed to do in person. It's a gray area for me though, because usually it is done from a distance, just like you could do with your scope. We allow revenge from a distance, it's in our server rules.

I defintely think we should offer the FN versions of maps without deemers or anything else you would not find in an FN map. No invisibility, Keg'o health, health. This would appeal to the purists and give them something they could vote for to satisfy their particular wants.

What do the rest of you think about this topic ? Post and please be candid.

mAmA
Otis_Firefly
Biggest DoucheBag Award

Re: Redeemers on the sniper server?

Unread post by Otis_Firefly »

Ahhhh - the age old debate!

Here's my take. If you're flying a deemer - then basically you are running the map looking for peeps. If I hold to that notion - and to the notion that running the map isn't camping, then I would be running and gunning during that time. Not camping. Even though my body is in one place I'm still in essence tracking down players that I otherwise shouldn't be able to see or kill for that matter. Not camping. If I use a deemer to take out someone whom has taken me out of my coveted spot then I am in fact (like mama said) revenging that player. Not camping. What's more - is when I use a deemer to get a kill far away form my spot I get a power up that says "Great Sniping, here's a little something for you". LOL - sniping my ass.

There is absolutely no argument that I've heard to date or one that I have yet to hear that will convince me that flying deemers is in fact camping.

Should they be on a sniping server? Well, every sniping server that I've ever played on has had them, and I've used them more than a few times.
{DOU} yO mAmA

Otis,

What do you think about having "Redeemer Free" versions of FN maps. Any appeal for you ?

mAmA
Evil

Unread post by Evil »

Well some maps are quite fun with them, like shrapnel bay. But that map is also fun without them if there are enough people on. I would like to have the FN versions playable without redeemers.
Abberation

Unread post by Abberation »

I like them but there are several people that will just sit and fly them repeatedly and I do think they are used for revenge constantly. I wouldnt mind having both versions
Last edited by Abberation on Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
{DOU}Cygnus

Unread post by {DOU}Cygnus »

Redeemers have always been a part of DOU sniping. While some other sniper servers also have redeemers DOU is unique in having redeemers with a modified, higher yield warhead and I don't want to see them go.
However, having more FN style maps as an option for those who don't like them would be a fair consideration.
As for the argument that redeemers = R&G. It can be used for that purpose but it is a two-edged tool. You are deaf and blind to anyone coming up to you and fragging your ass while flying one of those things. And as an admin I will never call anyone for an assault or a revenge on someone using deemers. IMO, that's the chance you take.
I've had guests whine about the redeemers but I just tell them there are plenty of places to play that don't have them.
I'd also like to point out that there are many people who have joined DOU who were mainly redeemer players before getting into sniping. I'm one of them.
IMO if the redeemers go, it'll be alot less fun here.
{DOU} yO mAmA

PLease note ......

I didn't start this thread to get redeemers removed from all maps on the server.

I was looking to start a disscussion about the pollicies we have toward their use/abuse, and whether or not it would be worth while to have some "deemerless" maps for those camping purists that do not enjoy them.

*I have edited the topic, my bad.

mAmA
.:Isabella:.

Unread post by .:Isabella:. »

I love redeemers Image

Otis_Firefly
Biggest DoucheBag Award

Unread post by Otis_Firefly »

{DOU} yO mAmA wrote:Otis,

What do you think about having "Redeemer Free" versions of FN maps. Any appeal for you ?

mAmA

I'm open to anything mama, and I believe the server is fine the way it is. I was just giving my two cents. Deemers don't bother me - I've come to accept them. But I hold true to the belief that they are not in any way connected to camping.
Evil

Unread post by Evil »

{DOU}_Cygnus_X_1 wrote:As for the argument that redeemers = R&G. It can be used for that purpose but it is a two-edged tool. You are deaf and blind to anyone coming up to you and fragging your ass while flying one of those things. And as an admin I will never call anyone for an assault or a revenge on someone using deemers. IMO, that's the chance you take.
Exactly right. Same as people that camp secrets and then cry they get assaulted. That's the way it goes when you use those sort of things, shit happens.
LT. Z

Unread post by LT. Z »

I've come to accept them. But I hold true to the belief that they are not in any way connected to camping
Personally i agree with that.

But they are great for getting players who like to hid in secrets. 8)
{DOU}Charger

Unread post by {DOU}Charger »

I have to agree I did get use to them and on occasion had fun with them.

The only problem I ever had is that Tommy is such a deemer whore :D
Fighting on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics.
Even if you win you're still retarded.
{DOU} yO mAmA

{DOU}Charger wrote:I have to agree I did get use to them and on occasion had fun with them.

The only problem I ever had is that Tommy is such a deemer whore :D
No denying that, If there's a deemer in that map, Tommy knows where it is. :lol:

mAmA
]TKK[GIZmo

Unread post by ]TKK[GIZmo »

Its really great to see this topic finally come up MAMA! I cant count the times i have shot someone and 2 seconds later they send me a deemer! To me that IS revenge. However, i have always known you have deemers on your server ( which btw, we dont on ours lol) and i accept the inevitability of one finding me at some point in the game lol But i still keep coming to your server to play cause i really luv you guys! You wont find me using them unless i have been blown up so many times that all i see is red! :evil: I think the idea of having a list of FN maps without deemers in them would be AWESOME!!!! However, with your voting system, unless you win the map, not enough people would vote for them. All they seem to want to play are the run and gun type maps. Anyway, in this humble bunny's opinion it would be GREAT to play some maps without deemers once in awhile!!!!! :D Thanks MAMA! Hope this can happen soon! xoxoxoxox :wink:
{DOU} yO mAmA

Hey Giz :D ,

Thanks for dropping by to give us your opinion. Tell the other TKK's to stop in and give us their 10 cents, this is open to our guests for a reason.
We know about the maps people like running on. You will notice less and less of them, Tommy's been deleting them :lol: . French Village was the latest to get sent to the recycle bin

:simplesmilie: xoxo

mAmA

Return to “Clan {DOU} Unreal Tournament 99 Sniper Server”