Close Revenge clarification

Anything and everything about the game itself and our server

Moderator: Tommy

{DOU}Cygnus

Close Revenge clarification

Unread post by {DOU}Cygnus »

This question periodically comes up.
How far away do you have to be for it not to be considered "close"?
The quick answer is "From accross the map"
This leaves alot of gray areas open to interpretation because of varying map sizes and where the revenged player is within the map.

I find this alot easier:
-If the player's name comes up on your screen...YOU'RE TOO CLOSE!
-If you're close enough to hear the other player's gun...YOU'RE TOO CLOSE!
Otis_Firefly
Biggest DoucheBag Award

Re: Close Revenge clarification

Unread post by Otis_Firefly »

Thats good Cyg, this needs to be addressed. - I just ran into this exact issue on the server with a player named Xanadu. I explained that if the person has to use his scope that it's all good. He replied "pfft" and quickly left. I think there may heave been a lot of accusations flying around before I joined the game. Since he asked me if it's okay for "staff" to do it, why can't guests. It was me he was talking about - and since I knew exactly what happened I was able to clarify the issue for him, although he didn't like my answer very much.

Also for what it's worth - when we constantly cry wolf on the server it inadvertently skews the rules for some players. I think if we are going to call someone out we also need to explain the right/wrong way to observe the rule in question. I know there is not always enough time for that - but when it's possible I think it may help some guests.
NATAN
Site Admin

Unread post by NATAN »

That’s a question I was asking myself also a few times. I think I can agree with Cyg’s answers on it.

I was also wondering about the next thing. When u sometimes enter accidently a spot that is already taken, according the rules you have to fight for your life. If you do it over and over again, you are assaulting.
Isn’t it more logical that you will have to leave that spot immediately when you see that it is occupied?

At this moment however you will mostly get shot before trying to leave. On the other hand, when you’re the one in that spot and someone is entering, there’s a great chance u start to shoot as a first reaction.

I think that is only natural when u enter a spot with your gun drawn. But what if u enter the spot with your translocator drawn? It’s more of a friendly approach and the person in the spot sees that you are in a certain way ‘unarmed’.

It’s only just an idea I had lately and I hope you understand what I am trying to suggest here.

Any comments on this?

Still one question: Is every ‘close kill’, automatically an assault, or not?
{DOU}(-:__NATAN__:-) - ( Clan DOU Recruitment Officer )

Coming Soon: http://clandou.com/cms/

"For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky"

Take a look at http://www.retro-en-design.com :)
{DOU} yO mAmA

Unread post by {DOU} yO mAmA »

The problem I see with that Natan is that it would imply ownership of a spot and we do not allow that either. Also I think it asks too much of most people. We would end up with a lot more arguing than we have already. People seem to have a hard enough time just allowing a spawner to pass.

If a player enters an occupied area while spawning, then the player that is spawning has the obligation to leave and find another spot.
If a player enters an occupied area and they are not spawning then they will shoot it out and whoever wins will occupy that spot.
If a player enters an occupied area and they are not spawning, they get killed, and then attempt to immediately return to challenge for that spot (again), they are revenging.
However, If a player enters an occupied area and they are not spawning, they get killed. Sometime later ( not defined)
They come back to that spot to see if it is available. I would not consider that revenge because time has passed and the player that was there may have moved on.

Regarding the close Kill question, it really depends on the circumstance. For instance sometimes 2 players are crouched walking around the same corner. Neither one is running, neither one is attempting to assault. More than likely both will be startled and fire at the other as a reaction.

mAmA
NATAN
Site Admin

Unread post by NATAN »

Thanks mAmA. You’ve made the answer very clear for me. It was just a grey spot for me and now I know how to handle with it. Also I can explain this more clearly now to other players when I get questions about it.
{DOU}(-:__NATAN__:-) - ( Clan DOU Recruitment Officer )

Coming Soon: http://clandou.com/cms/

"For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky"

Take a look at http://www.retro-en-design.com :)
{DOU} yO mAmA

Everyone breaks a rule every once in a while. We don't want to punish everyone that breaks a rule, everytime.
We typically just remind them of the rule in a friendly way and move on. The people we get upset with are those that know the rules and break them on a regular basis. The do not respect our clan, it's server, or their fellow players. These people get nit-picked by the admins because they are not even trying to follow the rules and seem to take enjoyment in spoiling other peoples fun.
Concrete

Unread post by Concrete »

I like to think everyone has UT ethics but not going to happen. When I see a player I know and they are close I let them go. I do this for someone I don't know hopping this maybe will show them an ethical way to play. If they keep coming back I shoot, try and explain what they just did or leave the game. Some people just won't listen. And it's by my perception. Also there are very small maps. If a small map is voted an you have 15 people in it, deal with it there will be a lot of movement. But if you know where that person shot you don't go there, that's revenge.
I killed a six-pack just to watch it die.
Without question the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you the wheel was also a fine invention, but a wheel does not go as well with pizza.
Draco

Unread post by Draco »

XanadU is a regular on my server. Alright guy, I guess... He has a quick temper though, and will voice his discontent if he feels wronged in some way. He's a decent runner. Don't know about his camping ability.

~Johnny Jones
Revisio

Unread post by Revisio »

Otis_Firefly wrote: I just ran into this exact issue on the server with a player named Xanadu. I explained that if the person has to use his scope that it's all good. He replied "pfft" and quickly left.
Otis probably nothing was happening with that Xanadu he has it in his mind that every {DOU} cheats or doesn't play by the rules every second. I was playing a game about a week and a half ago and a person who was wearing the {dou-r} tag who cant be a {dou-r} was teaming with =& and Wisdom. So XanadU instantly replies something along the lines of "I would expect that of a DOU" btw he probably wasn't even playing by the rules because his score was at -30 something and the next to lowest score was around a 10. Also Draco, he has accused of stuff while on ya'll's server.
Badmotor

Unread post by Badmotor »

Revisio wrote: Also Draco, he has accused of stuff while on ya'll's server.

We take any accusations on our servers seriously. Please inform us of these things.

- |FuN|Badmotor
{DOU} yO mAmA

I'm willing to bet he's one of these hot heads that thinks just because he's dying that someone has to be cheating.

You can't explain anything to those type of people, they're convinced everythings rigged.

mAmA
Badmotor

Unread post by Badmotor »

Oh yeah! Makes it even worse when you do things like that on a heavily AntiCheat server. Even after you show them exactly HOW you do it.
Otis_Firefly
Biggest DoucheBag Award

Unread post by Otis_Firefly »

Oh well Fuck-em then!

Thanks for the post though Cyg - it's good to have the rule defined.
Draco

Unread post by Draco »

Here is about the best advice I can give. Please, please make absolutely sure that members are
following the rules exactly as guests are expected too. The truth is that each time I have been to
the DOU server, I have been blatantly assaulted by members. I've also been accused of breaking rules
while some of my clanmates, while on the same team, have seen me being a good boy. Clanners
understand how hard it can be to admin a gametype with vague rules like camping so most clanners
will not speak up about these incidences and just write them off as misunderstandings. At least
that's what I do.

I very rarely camp anymore because I no longer have the attention to do it. Every once in a while
I get the urge and I'll camp. I only play on 2 servers: DOU and TNT. I enjoy your server. There for a
while, it was hairy as hell on your server but has really tamed down to look more like a camping server
in the last month or so.

I know XanadU has made accusations on my server in the past. The issues were also corrected very
quickly and fairly as all problems are.

~Johnny Jones
{DOU}Cygnus

Unread post by {DOU}Cygnus »

Draco wrote:Here is about the best advice I can give. Please, please make absolutely sure that members are
following the rules exactly as guests are expected too. The truth is that each time I have been to
the DOU server, I have been blatantly assaulted by members. I've also been accused of breaking rules
while some of my clanmates, while on the same team, have seen me being a good boy. Clanners
understand how hard it can be to admin a gametype with vague rules like camping so most clanners
will not speak up about these incidences and just write them off as misunderstandings. At least
that's what I do.

I very rarely camp anymore because I no longer have the attention to do it. Every once in a while
I get the urge and I'll camp. I only play on 2 servers: DOU and TNT. I enjoy your server. There for a
while, it was hairy as hell on your server but has really tamed down to look more like a camping server
in the last month or so.

I know XanadU has made accusations on my server in the past. The issues were also corrected very
quickly and fairly as all problems are.

~Johnny Jones
You're not the only one saying this. We're going to take a long serious look at it and I hope eliminate it.

Return to “Clan {DOU} Unreal Tournament 99 Sniper Server”