Hackintosh

Computer Related Topics Can Be Found Here
Concrete

Hackintosh

Unread post by Concrete »

Well we all know who is basically a spokes person for MAC's.
Recently at school I have been using one to do Video editing and Rendering.
They are great for video and sound stuff but overpriced IMO.
To use the MAC OS you need certian hardware that Mac uses, just so happens I have some :D
It's a little complicated but after about two hours I have a fully functioning Hackintosh.

If anyone is interested in making one and saving a TON of $$$, let me know and I can
walk you through the install.

Hardware I used:
Intel i7 930 @ 4.3 GHz
Gigabyte X58-UD7 motherboard
6 Gigs of 2200 7-7-7-20 DDR3
160 Gig HDD "will change to SSD soon"
8800 GTS Nvidia GPU
I killed a six-pack just to watch it die.
Without question the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you the wheel was also a fine invention, but a wheel does not go as well with pizza.
Tommy
I Worship His Shadow

Re: Hackintosh

Unread post by Tommy »

Concrete wrote:Well we all know who is basically a spokes person for MAC's.
Recently at school I have been using one to do Video editing and Rendering.
They are great for video and sound stuff but overpriced IMO.
To use the MAC OS you need certian hardware that Mac uses, just so happens I have some :D
It's a little complicated but after about two hours I have a fully functioning Hackintosh.

If anyone is interested in making one and saving a TON of $$$, let me know and I can

Hardware I used:
Intel i7 930 @ 4.3 GHz
Gigabyte X58-UD7 motherboard
6 Gigs of 2200 7-7-7-20 DDR3
160 Gig HDD "will change to SSD soon"
8800 GTS Nvidia GPU
Funny how the specs are so strong until you mention the HDD. 160 gigs is pretty weak, especially if you are going to do any video work. Drives are cheap these days too. Just under a year ago I bought a 1.5TB drive for less than 100 dollars. SSD drives are nice, wish I had one for my boot volume. Still, you will need other space. I recommend you look for a good Black Friday or Cyber Saturday deal.

As far as the price thing, you get what you pay for. I bet your hardware fails long before mine does. Long before...

Also, my machine came with a 1TB drive and a 27" best-in-class monitor. Once you start to factor these things in, your PC was no cheaper.

Last, wait until an OS upgrade comes out and you see how un-easy it is to upgrade that hackintosh. Sure, you will eventually get what you need, but not before jumping through a few hoops to get there.

With that said, how does it feel to finally be using a real OS? You have to admit that it even just looks better.

T
Concrete

Yeah this was more of a practice run for me. I have a ATI 5770 coming so I can run Final Cut pro.
I understand that the updates can be a little frustrating but some of the stuff the hackers have made make it a lot easier.
I may swap my rigs around and use my Gigabyte EP45-UD3P and a Q9650 quad instead for the Mac after my class is done.
All in all, it's a great OS and easy to use. I may just have to have both from now on. :wink:
Without question the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you the wheel was also a fine invention, but a wheel does not go as well with pizza.
Grubb Industries

Unread post by Grubb Industries »

I just installed a SSD , 64gig, not one of the fastest but it still rocks compared to SATA.

Grubb
Fighting for peace is like
Screwing for virginity
Concrete

Grubb Industries wrote:I just installed a SSD , 64gig, not one of the fastest but it still rocks compared to SATA.

Grubb
Yeah I love mine, very fast. If you google around you can find a lot of tweaks to speed it up
and stop it from making unnecessary writes to the drive.
QwazyWabbit

Unread post by QwazyWabbit »

Pricey, yes. But very stylish. :)

My company-issue Dell is 5 years old and the pot-metal hinge has failed and the display is about ready to fall off. The company isn't planning to replace the units and the repair/replacement agreement is expired so we can't even get them fixed through Dell. Our IT department is repairing them from carcasses from the junk pile.

I managed to scrape up enough coins from the water jug to buy a Macbook Pro 15 inch last month and I like it a lot. I installed Parallels 6 and Windows 7 64 and 32 bit virtual machines and 64 bit Ubuntu for development on Linux. Sucks batteries when the VM is running.

OS X is cheap. A copy of Snow Leopard is only $29 at Best Buy. If you can make a hackintosh work it's a very nice OS. Windows 7 is also very stable on my other machines and the Visual Studio IDE is still the best debugger around. Xcode is a good tool but it's still changing dramatically from version to version. If Apple were to uncouple OS X from their hardware they would give MS some serious competition. It would probably be good for Windows users if they did. MS would have actually make Windows WORK. :)

My only problem with Apple hardware is "no user serviceable parts inside". You can't fix anything. My iMac at home has a bad DVD drive and I can't mount the OS X upgrade disk but it plays videos just fine. The only way to fix it is an expensive trip to Apple and a week or two of down time.
Last edited by QwazyWabbit on Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tommy
I Worship His Shadow

Unread post by Tommy »

By Netbook Pro, he meant MacBook Pro. :)

T
QwazyWabbit

Tommy wrote:By Netbook Pro, he meant MacBook Pro. :)

T

Oops. Yes. And corrected. :)
{DOU}The Jargonaut

Unread post by {DOU}The Jargonaut »

::hijacked::
Wabbit, you mentioned Ubuntu, which is one of my favorites. How does it compare with OS X?
QwazyWabbit

My first experience with Ubuntu was Hardy Heron and it sucked, big time. Slow and incomplete. Sat there hanging for simple disk I/O on a vanilla PC. I didn't even try to diagnose it.

For my development needs I ended up using Fedora Core, can't remember which version but I now have a stable FC8 that I use for compiling the Q2 game code when I need a Linux DLL. I do that on my iMac in a VM so I can copy between Windows/OSX/Linux.

On the MacBook I have Snow Leopard running Parallels 6 so I can use Win7 in 32 or 64 bit mode and Ubuntu 10.10, Maverick Meerkat in 64 bit mode. Ubuntu and the other Linux are Windows-like in that the keys all do what you'd expect and what I learned on Windows. Ctrl-x, Ctrl-c, Ctrl-v for the editing keys, close boxes on the upper right corners, etc. I like that, except Ubuntu now has them in the upper left. I don't know how many times I have been mind-bent by the cmd-x, cmd-c, cmd-v versions in OSX. To this extent working in Ubuntu is like a cross between Windows and OSX.

Things are a lot less painful to do in OSX when it comes to networking, etc. I had occasion to do a Windows update on a box that didn't have access to the Internet (firewalled by the local IT) but it had a NIC. All I had to do to share the MacBook's wireless connection was to make a few clicks in the sharing properties and connect a patch cable between the MacBooks LAN port and the one on the PC. Instant connections. Nice.

My Ubuntu usage is still too green to talk intelligently about it. Ask me again in about 6 months. All my usage is in the VM on the MacBook but I am learning.

One thing I know for sure about the Macbook, I miss my DELETE key. The key they call "delete" is actually BACKSPACE. You have to press the fn key with delete to get delete. I'm managing to get used to it.

Another thing is updates. Between the major systems, Linux/Ubutu, OSX, Windows, they all update at about the same frequency with the same properties for the same reasons... bug fixes and patches. I updated my Ubuntu as I typed this in a remote desktop session to my Windows box from my Macbook running Microsoft's Remote Desktop for Mac. Gotta love it.

I can flip between an RDP session full screen to Ubuntu full screen to OSX in an instant. I can even run a Windows VM in Coherence mode and make the Windows apps look like Mac apps. Total mind freak.

If anyone tries to tell you updates don't require a reboot on any of them, don't believe it. They all need a reboot sooner or later, even the mighty OSX. My Windows desktop uptime: 8 days 12 hours, OSX laptop: 10 days 4 hours, iMac 8 days, 12 hours. They all seem to get an update every week or two. Even Parallels is patching their brand new v6. I will say that OSX is smooth and quick on the i7m and Windows 7 is absolutely slick on an i7.
Tommy
I Worship His Shadow

Unread post by Tommy »

So which virus protection package did you go with for OS X? :roll:

T
QwazyWabbit

Tommy wrote:So which virus protection package did you go with for OS X? :roll:

T
Hmmm... :) Do I need one? Do they exist? I haven't bothered to check. :)
Tommy
I Worship His Shadow

Unread post by Tommy »

Yeah, I was being an ass. :P

T
QwazyWabbit

Yeah, I knew it was rhetorical. I like the fact you don't need a bogged-down bloatware A-V app to protect your machine from idiots. Win7 is behaving like that now too. The main idiot now is the person who indiscriminately opens attachments from email and web. --- and Flash/Adobe vulnerabilities. :)

I still can't get over the lack of a dragable border on the OSX windows and the apparent lack of the option to always list directories first in the finder. You can do all of the above in Linux and Windows. :)
GRouND ZeRo

Unread post by GRouND ZeRo »

--- Yes I do know that this thread is almost 5 months old... ---
Concrete wrote:If anyone is interested in making one and saving a TON of $$$, let me know and I can
With my MacBook(Intel Dual Core) I was making a DVD for a friend and it literally took 5 hours for it to process the DV Video in Widescreen format. When I used my new PC(AMD 630) to do the same it took me about 30 minutes!

A friend had me install Ubunto and a Mac themepack but that doesn't make my computer a true Hackintosh.

If I am not mistaken you would need to Flash/hack the BIOS to boot the O.S. on motherboards that uses specific chipsets?

What hardware would you need to start with?

The Hackintosh Install Disc is literally hard to find on torrents. Is it just using the original Snow Leopard Install Disc?
{DOU}

Return to “Computer Chatter”