Mapping/UnrealEd

Game Content Creation
Otis_Firefly
Biggest DoucheBag Award

Re: Mapping/UnrealEd

Unread post by Otis_Firefly »

Thanks R mad - but do ya have any of the experiences that I've mentioned here?
{DOU}Pyro

Unread post by {DOU}Pyro »

Very Nice both.
Otis it looks like you are in 16 bit. Have you tried 32 bit??
I have seen similar glitches running 16 bit on many maps. They go away in 32
Otis_Firefly
Biggest DoucheBag Award

{DOU}Pyro wrote:Very Nice both.
Otis it looks like you are in 16 bit. Have you tried 32 bit??
I have seen similar glitches running 16 bit on many maps. They go away in 32

Nope 32bit - I had to play with the levels in Photoshop so that the viewer of the images could see what I was seeing in the game. Maybe that's why it looks 16bit.

Thanks though Pyro!

If enough people post their two cents we may be able to solve this and have another DOU map on the server.
Evil

Unread post by Evil »

No idea but interested in seeing how they turn out.
Otis_Firefly
Biggest DoucheBag Award

Okay - so I posted the same question at HUTP, a great source for mapping I've found so far. I had to wait a while but here is the answer I got and I am sharing it so that any other mappers that may come here know this information BEFORE they get started. It's too late for me since I am a 3rd of the way through with this map. I'm going to see what i can salvage, however I may need to start all over again (for the 4th fucking time).

Hooks Place:http://hooksutplace.freeforums.org

Answer: "I must admit - the map is looking good Otis! Razz

One thing that can screw up a map royally is if you add to a solid or subtract from a subtracted area!
You must always use intersect and/or de-intersect when shapes interlace with each other.
In other words, shapes or objects must NOT overlap with each other at all.

To really see what is going wrong here I would need to have a copy of what you have so far.
It is hard for me to tell from the pics here. Confused

Many BSP cuts (angles) coming together can cause HOMs also! (HOM = Hall Of Mirrors) Cool

FYI - "Subtracting" an area is when you are in a solid part of the world and you subtract out a hollow area - such as a room!
The world starts out ALL solid in UnrealEd - then you must First Subtract an area from this solid.
You can then add to the subtracted area(s) and also subtract more from the solid area(s).
BUT, when you overlap shapes you must either intersect or de-intersect, depending on what you are doing with the new shape.
If you are adding on to a solid (added) shape, you must intersect the new brush with the solid - IF they overlap at all.
Same goes with subtracted areas when adding more subtracted area to it.
Only with the subtraction you must de-intersect before subtracting.

You cannot have a solid shape protruding into another solid shape.
You must lop off the overlapping part of the new shape being added by intersecting the new brush with the shape you are adding on to.
You cannot have a subtracted (hollow) shape protruding into another subtracted shape.
You lop off the overlapping subtracted new shape by de-intersecting with the subtracted area you are adding on to.

GadZooks! - This is hard to write about - I wish I could show it.
I hope you understand!"

I too hope that this information will help somebody in the future. If i had known this before I may have saved my self many many hours of work an sanity.
[FuN]Fortress

Unread post by [FuN]Fortress »

This is a really old thread, but I can be a 'go to' person about mapping (Draco is good at this stuff too). The glitch your seeing (if it hasn't been covered already, I didn't read) is what's called a 'cut'. It's literally a cut in your map where a shape or brush built into your map is causing a face to not render in the game and let you see into infinity when you look into it. This can create problems in your map further on with things such as lighting, pathing, and even looking at the cut in game. Cuts can be resolved by deleting the 'instigator' brush or the shape causing the problem. A way to avoid this is to make sure that none of your shapes are too complex. This means nothing made with the 2D editor with 10000 vertices and a billion faces, nothing with an "hourglass" shape where the two shapes meet and converge at a single point, and no brushes overlapping each other. Brushes in the editor should never overlap one another, but should instead be touching through their faces. A good trick is also to make sure that you build everything on the same grid size. Don't switch from a grid 8 size to a grid 4 size and have shapes unaligned, that's bad. Another tip is for shapes such as boxes and such, if you want to avoid cuts, leave the brush one or two UU (Unreal Units) off of the ground, a player won't notice the difference at all.
Hook

Unread post by Hook »

Glad you liked my answer Otis! (2 posts above in red)
We have a lot of Mapping Info as you said.
Did you ever finish your map?
= Hook =
Forum = http://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
The PirateDeemerCMM PRO Redeemer
PRO-Redeemer | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer | SEEKER-Redeemer <-(we have it ALL at CMM!)
Server: {CMM} CROSSBONES Missile Madness
IP:
68.232.181.236:7777
{DOU}Charger

Unread post by {DOU}Charger »

There is a book out there called "Mastering Unreal Technology. The Art of Level Design" published by SAMS. It basically tells you how to do everything with UnrealEd. I have a copy it helped me greatly.
Fighting on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics.
Even if you win you're still retarded.
isudo

Unread post by isudo »

Is there an alternative to unrealed
.:Isabella:.

Unread post by .:Isabella:. »

There are alternatives:... :D
But UnrealEditor is a program only for brave people... :wink:

Return to “Game Mappers and Coders”