Server down again

Anything and everything about the game itself and our server
{DOU}Cygnus

Server down again

Unread post by {DOU}Cygnus »

Looks like it's been down most of the day.
.:Isabella:.

Re: Server down

Unread post by .:Isabella:. »

:P

sorry... :oops:

I do not know why I left a smile ...

probably, last night's champagne....

{DOU}Cygnus

Re: Server down again

Unread post by {DOU}Cygnus »

Just went down again during a JB map.
{DOU} yO mAmA

Unread post by {DOU} yO mAmA »

Might be time to go shopping for a new provider.

Draco was going to shut down because his server costs were becoming too much when he got a deal through C-ops Canny for about $35 a month. This included an upgrade to a quad core processor.

mAmA
Draco

Unread post by Draco »

{DOU} yO mAmA wrote:Might be time to go shopping for a new provider.

Draco was going to shut down because his server costs were becoming too much when he got a deal through C-ops Canny for about $35 a month. This included an upgrade to a quad core processor.

mAmA
Nah, Canny and I each had a dual core box. To save on costs, I terminated my server and then we upgraded his to a
quadcore with more memory and IP's and then we split the cost. Turned out to be much cheaper on a machine that
can pull our servers without issue.

The problem you guys have with your servers going down is that the restart script fails to work in Linux, whereas the
Windows box we use actually has a functioning restart script. Our servers go down a few times a day from one error or
another but the script brings the server back up in 15 seconds. Fix the startup script issue and that problem will go
away. Have a good one.

~Johnny Jones
{DOU}The Jargonaut

Unread post by {DOU}The Jargonaut »

Buy a Mac server :P
{DOU} yO mAmA

Unread post by {DOU} yO mAmA »

Draco wrote:
{DOU} yO mAmA wrote:Might be time to go shopping for a new provider.

mAmA
Nah, Canny and I each had a dual core box. To save on costs, I terminated my server and then we upgraded his to a
quadcore with more memory and IP's and then we split the cost. Turned out to be much cheaper on a machine that
can pull our servers without issue.

The problem you guys have with your servers going down is that the restart script fails to work in Linux, whereas the
Windows box we use actually has a functioning restart script. Our servers go down a few times a day from one error or
another but the script brings the server back up in 15 seconds. Fix the startup script issue and that problem will go
away. Have a good one.

~Johnny Jones
Well....., I remembered half of it right :lol:

mAmA
.::/3I§ON::.

Unread post by .::/3I§ON::. »

Your half was more than I even knew about :o
{DOU}.::/3I§ON::.
"Did you hear the one about me trying to die?

Fist in the air and a finger to the sky.

Do I care if you hate me? Do you wanna know the truth?

C'est la vie... adiós... good riddance... fuck you!..."5FDP"
Tommy
I Worship His Shadow

Unread post by Tommy »

Nope. The restart script we have works great, it's been like half a year since the sniper server has been down for more than a minute. The problem is that the script is not currently being used with the UT2k4 server. I just never got around to it and won't until after I re-vamp that server. My workload [at work] is a lot lighter now so I find that I have a bit more energy during my off-hours, thus I have begun to get things done.

Qwazywabbit re-coded for us a package originally made for Quake II so that it now works for the UT games. It calls the server every x amount of time and waits for a response. If it doesn't get a response it jumps into action and first makes sure there isn't a hanging process, if so it kills it. Then it restarts the server. It works flawlessly. It will very soon be used for all of our running processes (that need to be monitored).

Windoze blows. If there is a Mac or Linux solution go with that. There always is. :P

T
QwazyWabbit

Unread post by QwazyWabbit »

I have one each, Linux, Windows, iMac (OS X 10.4) and the stability of the operating systems are pretty much equal with a strong edge in favor of Linux because it is designed as multiuser system with a graphical "shell" for the console. My problem with Linux is that there are so many flavors there is no one "Linux". They also come out with a new patch or new major release at a higher rate than Windows so your only hope of "stability" is to stay way back from the bleeding edge. Unlike Windows, once there is a major release in Linux all development stops on the older ones so bug fixes or backlevel patches are non-existant unless you go into the sources and fix it yourself. As desktops they are equal with a slight disadvantage (IMO) in OS X due to the fact you can't grab a window border on a Mac and resize the window in one dimension at a time, you always have to grab the lower right corner, which just sucks when you are used to border drags in Windows and Linux. It would have been nice to have the option.

The one thing I like about OS X is that setting a dialog item has immediate effect, you don't have to click "apply" or OK to make it happen so you can do and undo a setting in two clicks.

As for scripting, there are scads of languages in all of them (OS X is derived from FreeBSD), so you have a wide choice no matter which platform you choose and many are portable, so for example Perl can be used on all three if you add the perl system to Windows.
Draco

Unread post by Draco »

Tommy wrote:
Windoze blows. If there is a Mac or Linux solution go with that. There always is. :P

T
Well, which would you prefer? Windows Server 2003....

or this? Linux/Mac Server...

::HYST:: ::HYST:: ::HYST:: ::HYST:: ::HYST::

~Johnny Jones
QwazyWabbit

Unread post by QwazyWabbit »

So, one should buy a $70 program on top of a $300 OS for a nice GUI interface to functionality that comes free on Linux? In Windows, RunAs, servany and SCM can be used to create, monitor and restart a service on failure just as easily, all for free.
Tommy
I Worship His Shadow

Unread post by Tommy »

...and us old school users actually prefer the console. :P

T
Draco

Unread post by Draco »

QwazyWabbit wrote:So, one should buy a $70 program on top of a $300 OS for a nice GUI interface to functionality that comes free on Linux? In Windows, RunAs, servany and SCM can be used to create, monitor and restart a service on failure just as easily, all for free.
The FireDaemon I got free through them. The box itself, we scored a huge deal on and ended up paying about $40 a month less than other providers supply so we actually came out about $15 ahead had we gone with another provider
using Linux. In the end it was a great situation without having to spend a week teaching others how to use Linux. And
it's as stable as Linux only it has to be rebooted about every ten days.

~Johnny Jones

Return to “Unreal Tournament 2004 Multi Server”