Ubuntu

Computer Related Topics Can Be Found Here
{DOU}The Jargonaut

Ubuntu

Unread post by {DOU}The Jargonaut »

No, I did not sneeze. Ubuntu is a Linux distro. I installed it on a friends computer. WOW! Linux has come a long way! I may have to dig up an old machine and install it. I was really impressed.

http://www.ubuntu.com/
Draco

Re: Ubuntu

Unread post by Draco »

Very true. It would seem that the world has finally had it with the way things are and have actually begun to show interest. The developers working on some of the distros are now being funded with corporate money so things are moving along much quicker. Have a good one.

~Johnny Jones
{DOU}The Jargonaut

The thing that got me was the very professional looking GUI and the ease of use. Easily rivaled (if not beat hands down) Micro$oft's Vista. To top it off, it is vastly more secure. The only thing that worries me are the drivers. I may install it to my laptop, and dual boot it to check it out.

Oh, if anyone knows of some good sites that have good Linux programs (other than Sourceforge), please share them with me :D

It is funny, but a lot of the programs that I use most often now are Open Source.

FIrefox
Thunderbird
VLC
Azureus
Gimp

Should not be too difficult to wean myself from the Micro$oft teet.
{DOU} yO mAmA

Unread post by {DOU} yO mAmA »

{DOU}The Jargonaut wrote:
:lol:

mAmA
.::/3I§ON::.

Unread post by .::/3I§ON::. »

{DOU} yO mAmA wrote:
{DOU}The Jargonaut wrote:
:lol:

mAmA
As long as he still has Tommy's he will be just fine :puke:
{DOU}.::/3I§ON::.
"Did you hear the one about me trying to die?

Fist in the air and a finger to the sky.

Do I care if you hate me? Do you wanna know the truth?

C'est la vie... adiós... good riddance... fuck you!..."5FDP"
GRouND ZeRo

Unread post by GRouND ZeRo »

OK... another old thread... I just stumbled across this... I've tried a few Distros and alot of them don't support my Vid-Card :(
Distro-Watch has no help in that matter... :(

But finding Fedora Core to find out I need a credit card to use it was stupid enough...

I tried the Project Lookingglass demo for XP and it was sort of alright... I wish the Linux version had worked!(Vid-Card issue)

Having trouble trying to install the drivers for my video card in Linux was too much to bother for me.

But the verry best Distro for everyone to use is the one called "Parted Magic"!!! It's the Linux version of Partition Magic! I Like it!
{DOU}

QwazyWabbit

Unread post by QwazyWabbit »

I don't know where you got your version of Fedora Core but I downloaded FC10 from ftp.uci.edu/mirrors/fedora/linux/releases/10/ for free and run it on my iMac under Parallels Desktop 4.0 and OS/X with no problems and no credit card. I prefer FC8 over 10 actually, it serves my needs better. I skipped FC9 completely. The FC10 DVD ISO is 3.41GB.
GRouND ZeRo

Unread post by GRouND ZeRo »

I think it was FC8-64 DVD... to install some codecs I needed a credit card or something... gonna try this 10(4Gig DVD) now!...300-400KB D/L... 2 Hours to go!
{DOU}

{DOU}The Jargonaut

I am trying out the alpha version of Ubuntu now (v. 10.04). I tell you, if you usually use your PC for mostly Internet browsing, this is the way to go instead of Windows. It is faster, more reliable, and safer than Windows, and infinity cheaper (free).
I am trying to get UT to work on it. If I do, then this will be my UT OS as well. I hope ACE is compatible.
Dash RipRock

Unread post by Dash RipRock »

I've been using Ubuntu for a couple of years and its great. I even run UT natively in Linux! No problems with ACE. :)
MinkyMoMo

Unread post by MinkyMoMo »

I like most LinuxMint, run a little faster than Ubuntu, by default includes support for flash and other things, a distribution is ideal for those who do not want to complicate life.

http://www.linuxmint.com/
{DOU}The Jargonaut

Mint looks very nice, Minky. I use Ubuntu mostly because it seems to be the most user friendly Linux out there. I tried openSUSE on a laptop and hated it from the start.
Dash, if I can get UT to run, then it will be golden. Linux is soooooooo much faster than Windows, mostly because you do not have to have all of the virus and malware protection running all of the time.
pebcak

Unread post by pebcak »

Good choice on Mint. It is based on Ubuntu and uses the same software repositories. Less of a need to "play" with it out of the box. A lot of thinks that you have to add to an Ubuntu basic install is there already in Mint. Flash, Java, DVD codecs, Audio codecs, etc. It just works out of the box and works pretty darn well. My kids prefer their Mint to XP almost every day.
{DOU}pebcak

I love the sound of "GODLIKE" in the morning.
jacobite
Location: scottland west coast home of the rampant lion rrroooooaaarrr lol

Unread post by jacobite »

Hi all i should be geting my new agility 3 in the morning post service
i will be puting ubuntu 11.4 in i have it instaled in my 640 gig sata hd loads in about 15 min and thats with instaling all the updates
no hassle it instals all you want no messing about with it and find it very secure and its so easy to use and it goes like stink and get the same speed in w7 and linux 854kbs so im well impressed with it
and it should run a hell of alot faster than and more responcive than windows 7
i will be puting in 11.4 the latest version plus might put in mint i think its faster also but linux 11.4 x64 bit its far behind it either way with my agility 6 sata 111 i instal linux in ahci no problems at all
and linux u just put in the dvd and you dont have to make any sata driver or ahci drivers then all the software and updates it just goes straight in so canny wait to get it instaled on my ssd and just see what it does in unreal tournament ty and god bless :D

Return to “Computer Chatter”