Upgrade questions

Computer Related Topics Can Be Found Here
Tentonaxe

Re: Upgrade questions

Unread post by Tentonaxe »

I ran CPUID all night tonight, but i didn't do any raiding. My temps are higher than i expected:

CPU cores:

GPUs:

I might actually be seeing my CPU getting throttled at 100 when i'm frapsing during a 25 player raid. If that is the case i definitely need to get a cooler, and soon.
Concrete

Unread post by Concrete »

That is way too hot. As a rule of thumb for me I don't let it go above 80c no matter what speed I am running the CPU at.
With the cooler I have and two fans on it in a push pull I run an i7 with HT on at about 4.30 GHz just to give you an idea.
I killed a six-pack just to watch it die.
Without question the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you the wheel was also a fine invention, but a wheel does not go as well with pizza.
Tentonaxe

yeah i'm going to be ordering all three either later tonight or some time next week. i won't have time to install them till next weekend. Hell i'll order them now, maybe they'll do some magic and get it here monday like they some times do at newegg.
Concrete

Cool, post your results when you get a chance.
Without question the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you the wheel was also a fine invention, but a wheel does not go as well with pizza.
GRouND ZeRo

Unread post by GRouND ZeRo »

Tentonaxe wrote:I really think the video card is going to make the difference...

The new case is going to be nice, going with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811147094
That case seems awesome for configuration... Insane wire management and cooling options. Easy access to the HD's! Love the all black look... Seems more finished.

I have to unscrew my HD's and unscrew the case bracket for them to pop out. My old case had room for 8 HD's but everything else on the MB was in the way.
Tentonaxe wrote:Here's a video i recently took.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBWkfqkJtOA
FPS didn't drop too bad that night. you can really feel it when it drops to 10-15, but 24+ is good. The bosses we're working on now put more of a strain on the computer with additional npc's
Depending on what you want to record you could easily drop the texture quality when you are in the extended 3rd person view to gain the FPS that you want. Those spell effects do add to the complexity. Another thing you could try is to drop the shadows and see if that helps any.

Hope to see more!

P.S. When I play WoW I don't use any fancy add-ons... Never liked them myself.
{DOU}

Tentonaxe

I do turn shadows down to lowest setting, that makes ~ 10 fps difference, pretty big. Texures are also set to "Fair" rather than "Good" "High" or "Ultra", its just spell effects that i dont want to reduce past "Good" because i actually need to be able to recognize them quickly.
Tentonaxe

This case is a lot bigger than i expected, i'll have to post some pictures when i get a chance.

I haven't tested it in-game yet, however my idle temp is now 32.5C. thats down a good 20C over the stock cooler. I'll give it a good hard test tomorrow when i get to raid with it, i'll post the results.

So far i am very satisfied with all three pieces.

my cpu hasn't gone over 50C yet and my GPU hasn't been past 60C, and i've been going at it with full settings.
Concrete

Sounds like a winner! Defiantly post some picks.
Tentonaxe

gonna take it back apart this weekend to make a few small changes and connect the last fan, i'll take pics then.

The case actually came in broken, i'm going to decide to either fix it myself or sendit back and hope the new one they send isn't broken too. I'll prolly just fix it myself with some foam and velcro. the front and top pieces are anchored( well, were anchored) with plastic pieces, but they snapped off in shipping. Also, when i installed my card, the tool-less pieces that hold it in place broke, if i can just remove it and use screws i'll go that route.
GRouND ZeRo

Darn... The boxes that the computer cases come in usually do a great job in keeping the case secure. I would hate to see you having to take too much time and effort with an RMA just for the new case to come back in the same condition.

Then again you are building this yourself... Customize it to your liking!

Unless if it is a cosmetic piece some people swear by JB Weld...
2 part epoxy goop I think. Just make sure that you don't glue something else.
{DOU}

Tentonaxe

i'm going to just finish taking off the clips and install some firm foam + a little bit of velcro to hold it in place instead of trying to piece together the 20-30 little pieces of plastic sitting here on my desk.. the front seems to be fine, though i might go the same route with it to avoid having to do it later.

Temps for tonight:

Max CPU: 47C
Max GPU: 61C

pretty much went at it with full settings, streaming video, but i didn't do any video capturing to test the FPS stability with a heavy load. I'll do that tomorrow night.

I still have to take it apart this weekend to fix a few small mistakes i made and hook up the last fan(gotta run to the store to get another connector) And i should be able to disconnect a few extra wires coming from the top panel that i'm not using, store them in a box outside the case instead of inside the case. O.o.

Someone in-game mentioned that i should replace the stock thermal compound to get even better temps, is there any merit to that? Since i'll have it open and apart, that would be a key time to make that change if it's worth doing.
GRouND ZeRo

Tentonaxe wrote:20-30 little pieces
Ouch!

You are not alone in the plastic department. This was the plastic fan retainer for the Heatsink that I had replaced for a friend of mine. The plastic studs holding the heatsink retainer were replaced with screws.
Tentonaxe wrote:replace the stock thermal compound
The stock thermal grease should work fine.

Just about any silver thermal grease should allow for best thermal conductivity. I would suggest to pick some up for like $5-$10... It may be inexpensive but handy when you need it. Just be careful when removing the heatsink.
{DOU}

Tentonaxe

I threw everything i could at it and the temps didn't go above 47C and 59C, however when i frapsed i still had to downgrade my settings a good bit to keep a decent fps. might look into overclocking to see if i can improve in that area.
GRouND ZeRo

Tentonaxe wrote:might look into overclocking to see if i can improve in that area.
I wouldn't suggest overclocking but an external recording solution might just do the trick.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PC-Laptop-VGA-AV-TV ... 1e61c67152

Pair this with a PVR to do your recordings and you may not have to worry about fraps killing your FPS. Unless your video card has a Video-Out solution.

I'm sure Concrete would gladly help with the overclocking.
{DOU}

Concrete

I would gladly help you OC. It does take a little time a patience but when done right you should see a HUGE gain in performance.
Problem is I have very little time right now so we would have to schedule a time to jump on Vent so you can ask questions and get a quick response, cause you will have lots of questions.

Change the stock TIM on the heat sink can net you about five degrees(MAX) drop in Temps with some good stuff, but don't bother with it unless you do start OC'ing, cause that is where you will want all the extra room to push further.

If you do want to start OC'ing or at least asking more questions post a time we can meet on Vent and I will check back here throughout the week end and let you know if I can make it.

Here is my last OC I did http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1599909

Return to “Computer Chatter”