Open GL -Smooth as Butter-

Computer Related Topics Can Be Found Here
Mikhail

Open GL -Smooth as Butter-

Unread post by Mikhail »

Hey guys! I thought I'd make a post on anyone thats interested or is using opengl for ut99. I've dabbled with directx3d here and there, but found that GL was a lot smoother. When I first started playing ut99, I was running a dell pII 450mhz with a "top of the line" *jk* GEFORCE FX 5200 lol.. and 128 MB of memory.. D3d worked, but had slow downs here and there- which led me to the other. However there are many tweaks needed to achieve this in the unrealtournament.ini, but its not difficult at all. A guy by the name of Chris Dohnal has a website for updated opengl and d3d for ut99 http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/ and I'm currently using: Version 3.7 or UT: utglr37.zip (87 KB). So shout out to Chris!! :herestoyou:

Now before making any changes to unrealtournament.ini make a copy, so you can revert back- just a matter of copying and pasting! If your already using opengl, make a copy of your orignal OpenGLDrv.dll. Go to the website above and download version 3.7 or click here http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/utglr37.zip. Now copy that file into \UnrealTournament\System folder and click yes to overwrite. Next open up unrealtournament.ini and press hold ctrl + f and a find prompt will open and copy/paste this OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice. This will navigate you to the portion that will be edited. Here are my settings with explanations and Ill copy the same w/ out explanations to be added to unrealtournament.ini

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
ZRangeHack=True <--- fixes flickering decals on distance w/ oldvidecards
NoAATiles=True <--Enable to disable antialiasing should eliminate HUD corruption
NumAASamples=0 <--antialiasing 2 and 4 are common values that should work on many video cards
UseAA=False <-- Enables multisample antialiasing
MaskedTextureHack=True <--can prevent rendering probs w/ mskd txtres
SmoothMaskedTextures=True <-- smooths textures
SceneNodeHack=True <-- always kept true
FrameRateLimit=200 <-- anything above 35, 200 just because 8)
SwapInterval=0 <--Controls V Sync 0 to disable and 1 to enable V Sync
UseFragmentProgram=False <--Enables fragment program mode, Requires the UseVertexProgram option to also be enabled May improve performance on newer video hardware
UseMultiDrawArrays=True <--Controls the use of multitexturing
TexDXT1ToDXT3=False <--A workaround for poor image quality on NVIDIA GeForce1 - GeForce4
DynamicTexIdRecycleLevel=100 <--Should be set to the default value of 100.
CacheStaticMaps=True <--Controls texture precaching. Texture precaching may improve performance
UseTexPool=True <--Should be set to True
UseTexIdPool=True <--Should be set to True
UseSSE2=True <--Controls the use of SSE2 instructions. Set to True to auto detect CPU
UseSSE=True <--Controls the use of SSE instructions. Set to True to auto detect CPU
BufferTileQuads=False <--Enables buffering in the DrawTile path. May improve text rendering performance
SinglePassDetail=False <--Enables single pass detail texture mode disable
SinglePassFog=False <--Enables single pass fog mode, can slow game
ColorizeDetailTextures=False <-- Debug option for detail textures. If enabled, adds a green tint to detail textures
DetailClipping=False <-- Enables the use of a somewhat experimental detail texture mode. It costs more CPU time
DetailMax=1 <-- Set to 2 to enable a second detail texture layer. Set to 0 or 1 for standard one layer detail texturing if detail textures are enabled
RefreshRate=60 <-- highest refresh rate your monitor allows, mine is 60
MaxTMUnits=0
NoFiltering=False <--Can disable filtering on all textures. Useful as a debug option.
MaxAnisotropy=0
Use16BitTextures=False
UseS3TC=False <-- Enables the use of high resolution S3TC compressed textures if they are installed.
UseAlphaPalette=True <-- A workaround for very old buggy GeForce drivers
UseTrilinear=True <-- Controls the use of trilinear texture filtering
UsePrecache=True <--Controls texture precaching and can improve performance
ShareLists=False
UsePalette=True <-- uses palette textures, default true
UseMultiTexture=True <-- Controls the use of multitexturing. Should always be enabled
UseBGRATextures=True <-- can improve texture upload performance, disable if problems
UseZTrick=False <-- default
MaxLogTextureSize=12
MinLogTextureSize=0
OneXBlending=False <-- If enabled, matches what the D3D renderer does for blending in multitexture mode
GammaCorrectScreenshots=True <-- fixes brightness in gamma bright
GammaOffsetBlue=0.000000
GammaOffsetGreen=0.000000
GammaOffsetRed=0.000000
GammaOffset=0.000000 <-- set numbers in the 10th and 100s place for example =0.110000 if you go to high 0.4 it will be to bright possible and then in single digits 1.0 higher it starts to get very dark
LODBias=-1.000000 <--Use negative values to pseudo sharpen textures. Use positive values to blur textures and potentially improve performance at the expense of blurry textures. -1 was my happy medium
DetailTextures=True
DescFlags=0 <-- default
Description= <-- graphics card name or just leave blank
HighDetailActors=True
Coronas=False <-- This is the haze of light :idea: that appears around light sources in the game
ShinySurfaces=False <-- I disabled for performance and dont care for shiny floors in maps- it doesnt change reflection in mirrors
VolumetricLighting=False <-- for better visuals (Effects such as fog & space filling)
UseVertexProgram=False
UseCVA=False
UseTNT=False
Translucency=True <-- enable translucent effects in the game, this can improve image quality

Copy/paste Below section

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
ZRangeHack=True
NoAATiles=True
NumAASamples=0
UseAA=False
MaskedTextureHack=True
SmoothMaskedTextures=True
SceneNodeHack=True
FrameRateLimit=200
SwapInterval=0
UseFragmentProgram=False
UseMultiDrawArrays=True
TexDXT1ToDXT3=False
DynamicTexIdRecycleLevel=100
CacheStaticMaps=True
UseTexPool=True
UseTexIdPool=True
UseSSE2=True
UseSSE=True
BufferTileQuads=False
SinglePassDetail=False
SinglePassFog=False
ColorizeDetailTextures=False
DetailClipping=False
DetailMax=1
RefreshRate=60
MaxTMUnits=0
NoFiltering=False
MaxAnisotropy=0
Use16BitTextures=False
UseS3TC=False
UseAlphaPalette=True
UseTrilinear=True
UsePrecache=True
ShareLists=False
UsePalette=True
UseMultiTexture=True
UseBGRATextures=True
UseZTrick=False
MaxLogTextureSize=12
MinLogTextureSize=0
OneXBlending=False
GammaCorrectScreenshots=True
GammaOffsetBlue=0.000000
GammaOffsetGreen=0.000000
GammaOffsetRed=0.000000
GammaOffset=0.000000
LODBias=-1.000000
DetailTextures=True
DescFlags=0
Description=
HighDetailActors=True
Coronas=False
ShinySurfaces=False
VolumetricLighting=False
UseVertexProgram=False
UseCVA=False
UseTNT=False
Translucency=True

also in your unrealtournament file navigate to [WinDrv.WindowsClient]
CurvedSurfaces=False <-- set to false This will improve performance
SlowVideoBuffering=True <-- you are using Software rendering. Set it to True if you are
Decals=True
ScreenFlashes=False <-- set to false, to disable red flash when falling or being shot at :snipe:

there are many tweaks that can be added, increasing field of view etc.. If anyone is interested, questions I'll be glad to help! Happy gaming!! ::happygoof::

Mikhail
Last edited by Mikhail on Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jacobite
Location: scottland west coast home of the rampant lion rrroooooaaarrr lol

Re: Open GL -Smooth as Butter-

Unread post by jacobite »

HI MY SETUP HAS BEEN RUNING OPEN GL THE PAST COUPLE OF MONTHS NOW

setup is
CROSSHAIR V FORMULA Z MOTHERBOARD MEMORY DDR3
XFX RADEON HD 68 70 BLACK EDITION 1 GB GDDR5 MEMORY
AMD THENOM 11 X6 BLACK EDITION PROCESSOR
60GB AGILITY 3 SSD
WINDOWS 8 X64 ENTERPRISE EDITION WINDOWS SCORE 7.8
MONITOR SAMSUNG P2450H 1920 X 10.80P

I RUN OPENGL NOT A PROBLEM AT 1920 X 1080P FOR THE PAST COUPLE
OF MONTHS NOW WITH NOT A PROBLEM WITH IT IM OVER THE MOON WITH IT INSTEAD OF SOFTWEAR RENDERING I TRYED DIRECT3D AS THATS WHAT UNREALTOURNAMENT 2003 RUNS ON THEN WHEN I TRIED OPENGL HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM AT ALL IM VERY HAPPY WITH IT

Return to “Computer Chatter”