Windows on Macs provokes a stir

Computer Related Topics Can Be Found Here
GRouND ZeRo

Unread post by GRouND ZeRo »

The Jargonaut wrote:One final word:
Does it really surprise you that Windows is poorly coded? Think about this:

The people that coded Windows came up with this... If you want to turn your computer off, what is the first thing you do??

Hmmm?

Yep. To turn off your computer, you have to hit the Start button....
MAN I've got that LICKED!!!

ALT+F4, ENTER... wait... DONE!

Or reach behind the computer and PULL THE PLUG!!!
(!!!Use only when verry frustrated!!!)
{DOU}

GRouND ZeRo

QwazyWabbit wrote:Fedora Core is up to 5 now. I believe they have 64 bit support for it now. Check the web site.
DAM... I gotta see if a friend could burn me a few disks of it... and see what I am missing...

I've got Linux Slackware 10.1 but I don't have much room on my HD right now... I should invest in a 200Gig...
(I tried to pick up a 200gig SEAGATE and buddy tried to sell me a MAXTOR... he'll see if I deal with him again!!!)
{DOU}

{DOU}The Jargonaut

Unread post by {DOU}The Jargonaut »

You can try Knoppix. I really liked that one. It's strongest feature is that the ENTIRE OS can be booted from a CD image file. You can judge for yourself if you want to use it, and not take up any space on your HDD.
Of course, it is a 700 meg file.
http://www.knoppix.net/
QwazyWabbit

Unread post by QwazyWabbit »

The Jargonaut wrote:One final word:
Does it really surprise you that Windows is poorly coded? Think about this:

The people that coded Windows came up with this... If you want to turn your computer off, what is the first thing you do??

Hmmm?

Yep. To turn off your computer, you have to hit the Start button....
What does that have to do with the quality of the code? Besides, that only applies to Windows XP Home Edition. For all other versions of Windows it's crtl-alt-del, s , s , enter. To restart it's ctrl-alt-del, s, r, enter. To lock the workstation it's ctrl-alt-del, spacebar. Quite simple really.

BTW, when using the X interface, how do you move hundreds of files from one subdirectory to another? Could it be select the files, hit ctrl-x, place cursor in the target directory, hit ctrl-v? Where do you suppose that method came from? Could it be Windows NT? Yup.

Here's another great intuitive user interface from the master coders: How do you rename a file in Linux from the command line interface? Would it be rename? Nope, that's not it. How about ren... nope, not that either... how about rn... nope, wrong again. It's mv! Yep, now THERE's a great piece of code.... mv oldname newname, now THAT's intiutive. Even more intuitive than START/Shutdown. ;)
{DOU}The Jargonaut

Okay, now I really do not want to try Linux :wink:

As I have said before, Linux is for advanced users, Windows is for the vast majority of the population and OSX is for freaks.

Okay, cheap shot at Tommy there :lol:
QwazyWabbit

I firmly believe Windows needs the competition. Without competition from others for market share Microsoft will stop listening to critics and will become fat and lazy. (not that they are not already fat now) They are certainly not lazy now, but if they don't have someone to measure against, they will surely slow down and become entrenched.

I just am so tired of "Linux is more secure" statements when it is clearly not the case when looked at objectively. The number of published PoC viruses, exploits, CSS attacks and directory traversal attacks is far more numerous for Linux/Unix than for Windows. Windows systems have the distinction of being susceptible to really dumb, simple and often very obviously preventable vulnerabilities that make the numerous targets very tasty to those with ill will or a point to make. I look at the vulnerabilities lists and I see patch after patch and often patched patches for kernel versions and applications and often essential services in Linux/Unix systems every day.

Fedora Core is now in it's 5th major release after only 1 year in the marketplace. Yes, it's free, I love free software, I love having source code, I enjoy twiddling Linux when I don't have serious work to do and can learn from it. Just don't tell me it's more secure out of the box or that it's easier to manage or a useful system for computer novices, because it just isn't so.

I own an iMac. It's still running OS/X because that's why I bought it, to learn OS/X, not to run Windows on it because I already have 4 PC's running Windows or Linux already. I can also tell you that OS/X ain't all that secure either and isn't exactly easy to use if you go outside the domain of ready to use pre-packaged applications.

Microsoft has brought a very easy to use and very complex system to the market and they deserve credit for all that it does. They also deserve every bit of criticism when they do really dumb stuff, like the WMF bug, but the *nixes have their bugs and root kits too, so don't be too religious about your *n*x OS. Remember, the term "root kit" comes from the first root kit, developed against a *n*x target to gain "root" access, not "administrator" kit. ;)

It is also no accident that many applications are developed on Windows boxes with Windows in mind and then later ported to OS/X or Linux. The real money is to be made in selling to Windows users, not Linux users who like me, want it all for cheap. :)
{DOU}The Jargonaut

Wabbit, do you know of a place where I can find drivers for my ATi 9600 AIW Pro and for a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card?
Also, it seems that Fedora is your distro of choice. Is that correct?
QwazyWabbit

I got Fedora because as successor to free Redhat Linux before they went commercial it's the closest thing to the version of Redhat Server Enterprise that ET uses on his servers. This way I can build the LOX mod and have it work there. I was not sure a FreeBSD system would build binaries compatible with a Linux server. This is a big problem with the nixes right now. You simply MUST have source to build your tools for your OS of choice because they are not compatible. Furthermore, you have to have the right source code for your version of *n*x.

As far as your hardware drivers are concerned, I can only say "google", else scrounge around on the Linux sites for those drivers or check the supported hardware lists for your cards. If you don't find them, then you get to write your own, become a hardware Linux guru and get your drivers incorporated into the distros and forever have the gratitude of the multitude.
{DOU}The Jargonaut

If you don't find them, then you get to write your own, become a hardware Linux guru and get your drivers incorporated into the distros and forever have the gratitude of the multitude.
Pfft... F*** that. Way too lazy to actually study that kind of stuff.
Windows it is!
MatrixDog

Unread post by MatrixDog »

I have a BlackBerry phone with the intel chip Guess what it runs a version of windows for blackberry something like Palm OS Software
GRouND ZeRo

MatrixDog wrote:I have a BlackBerry phone with the intel chip Guess what it runs a version of windows for blackberry something like Palm OS Software
Windows CE anyone???
{DOU}

Return to “Computer Chatter”