UT99 and Windows XP Pro

Computer Related Topics Can Be Found Here
Tommy
I Worship His Shadow

UT99 and Windows XP Pro

Unread post by Tommy »

O.K., I have Windows XP Pro installed. Also UT99 patched up nicely and running.

Here is the deal. When I am in the game it is choppy as hell. But not like map lag choppy. It feels like something is delaying something and then releasing it and then delaying again.

I don't have a driver installed for my mouse, but the rest of the computer uses the mouse ok so thats probably not it. I am gonna swap the mouse out with another in a bit and install drivers for that anyway.

The game is set to Direct X. I wonder if thats the problem, maybe my vcard wants OpenGL?

Anyway, anyone else ever experience this and find a fix for it? If so please let me know.

Thanks,

Tommy
Churchsyn

Unread post by Churchsyn »

ive been having that prob lately but it doesnt do it all the time,havnt figured out what it is yet.could it be something with the new server?it didnt start for me untill recently,but i reinstall my graphic drivers and reboot my machine sometimes it works sometimes it dont
{DOU}Charger

Unread post by {DOU}Charger »

I run xp pro and have no problems with it.
Fighting on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics.
Even if you win you're still retarded.
{DOU}cHiCkEn

Unread post by {DOU}cHiCkEn »

My XP Pro worked perfectly right out of the box.
{DOU}The Jargonaut

Unread post by {DOU}The Jargonaut »

I would suggest using this ogl driver.
http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/

The DX driver is also good if you do not want to change.
Draco

Unread post by Draco »

As it turns out, this new super machine of Tommy's is just too fast. To play UT99, he has to basically turn off one CPU to slow the machine down to a point that it will run 99 correctly. Everyone who buys a machine with the new core duo 2 technology in it will have to do this. Technology sux. :D

-Johnny Jones
{DOU}Charger

Unread post by {DOU}Charger »

Draco wrote:As it turns out, this new super machine of Tommy's is just too fast. To play UT99, he has to basically turn off one CPU to slow the machine down to a point that it will run 99 correctly. Everyone who buys a machine with the new core duo 2 technology in it will have to do this. Technology sux. :D

-Johnny Jones

Now that is funny :lol: :rollinglaugh:
Fighting on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics.
Even if you win you're still retarded.
Tommy
I Worship His Shadow

Unread post by Tommy »

It's an old game. Funny thing is that if I play it under mac OS X I don't have to do anything, just when I run Win XP Pro. I have no idea why, but big surprise that the Mac deals with it better, huh? Now if there was just a true native version of UT99 for Mac OS X I'd be set, but there isn't so I will run it under Windows.

It's a pretty small price to pay considering the machine I have now, so I am still happy. :) The machine runs Quake 4 with all the highest settings on smooth as silk.

Tommy
Draco

Unread post by Draco »

Computers are a strange and picky thing. A few years ago when CPU's broke 500 Mhz, suddenly the new Toshiba laptop with Windows 98SE I had wouldn't talk to the fire alarm panels I was working on. I tried a Compaq loaded with Windows 2000 that was actually faster and it communicated just fine. Solution was a dual-boot system on the Toshiba and it worked just fine. It almost seems that the slightest variation in anything has a huge effect in the end. That and windows actually does kinda suck, although the blue screen of death doesn't happen nearly as much as it did. With Win2k, the stability issues had finally been resolved for the most part. I think the biggest issue with windows machines is all the junk that comes preloaded when you buy them. The best fix is reformat with a base copy of the operating system and reload drivers leaving all the junk stuff out. My biggest fight with these new Dells I have is the Dell idiot-proof software. Took forever to get rid of it. Opps, sorry to ramble. This is why I shouldn't get on the computer this early in the morning. My brain is re-energized and going a million miles an hour. It hasn't yet been punished and beat down by the events of the day. Talk to all you later.

-Johnny Jones

Return to “Computer Chatter”