New Sony Mylo

Computer Related Topics Can Be Found Here
{DOU}cHiCkEn

New Sony Mylo

Unread post by {DOU}cHiCkEn »

Just picked up the new Sony Mylo today. Pretty slick little device. It's charging up right now so haven't used it yet. Here is a review of the Mylo if you haven't heard about it.

http://laptopmag.com/Review/Sony-Mylo.htm

I got it mostly for when I'm travelling and living in Estonia where free WI-FI spots are all over.
{DOU}cHiCkEn

Been playing with it for a while now. Works great. My house is set up wireless so I could test it all out here. It connected instantly to my network one I put in my WEP code (which it prompted me to do). Then I chatted with friends on both Skype and Yahoo and worked just like any other computer. Surfed the web and the screen is amazingly clear. It's just like a little computer to carry around in your pocket.

An improvement would be backlit keys, but that's minor.

You can even charge the battery via USB from another computer!

{DOU}Nightwalker

Unread post by {DOU}Nightwalker »

You tryed playing unreal on it yet chicken LOL. :twisted:
{DOU}cHiCkEn

{DOU} Nightwalker wrote:You tryed playing unreal on it yet chicken LOL. :twisted:
I wish!! :P However, I'll still have to rely on a gaming laptop for that. :(
{DOU}cHiCkEn

Now that I've had it for a few days here is my rewiew.

Skype works great in both voice and chat. No lag, clear as a bell. Yahoo Messenger also works fine. Importing and playing MP3’s is simple and even the onboard speaker sounds great at high volume. Importing photos onto the Mylo is also simple. The screen is small but clear and bright as long as you are inside. In the sun it’s nearly impossible to see and difficult even in shaded areas outside. Surfing the web is easy and fast.

It has 1GB onboard flash memory but it will take a 4GB Sony memory card though that is quite expensive (~$160 USD). You can get a 1 GB card for about $30 USD however.

The WI-FI capability works fine and easily finds HotSpots.

I also like that the Mylo charges itself via the USB cable while connected to another computer. Neat feature that allows you to not need a 110/220 voltage converter when travelling.

Biggest disappointment was the video feature. The manual states that you need Sony’s Image Converter 2 (not included) in order to load videos to the Mylo. The Sony website says that the software is no longer available. I contacted a Sony representative via live chat and was told Sony no longer offers the software and I would have to find some third party software for this. I find it unacceptable that they would no longer support the video function on a newly released device. Having said that, there are alternatives and I have been able to load video and just loaded the movie A Clockwork Orange. Looks and sounds great.

Other negatives would be the keys do not light up at night. Also you can not plug headphones directly into the Mylo. Sony uses some bizarre jack that requires a Sony headphone adapter which is something extra to carry around.

Overall I'm quite pleased with it and it will serve my purposes fine.
GRouND ZeRo

Unread post by GRouND ZeRo »

Sony mylo... a neat little gadget.... it runs on linux maybe you can get a port of ut for it??? maybe... quake2???

anyways to have almost the power of a laptop in the palm of your hands is pretty cool... it almost makes me want one too...
{DOU}

{DOU}cHiCkEn

Yeah, it's great. Really great for travel. Super compact. It fits alongside my digital camera in my camera case. I'm typing this from my hotel room in Charlotte, NC. Free WI-FI at my hotel and had no trouble finding plenty of hotspots today, even in little mountain towns several hours north of here.
{DOU}The Jargonaut

Unread post by {DOU}The Jargonaut »

HOLY **** Stop by exit 59 North on I-77, Tomlin Mill Road at the Lowe's Distribution Center. Between the hours of 6 PM and 5 AM and I will give you the grand tour.
Have the guards call ext 815. Just tell them to call you Chicken :)
{DOU}cHiCkEn

The Jargonaut wrote:HOLY **** Stop by exit 59 North on I-77, Tomlin Mill Road at the Lowe's Distribution Center. Between the hours of 6 PM and 5 AM and I will give you the grand tour.
Have the guards call ext 815. Just tell them to call you Chicken :)
I'm back in Florida today. Had I known you lived there I could have stopped in for a visit. It was quick trip though for a specific purpose. Flew up Monday and back home today already. I stayed at the Quality Inn Suites over by the airport, next to the Cracker Barrel.
{DOU}The Jargonaut

Unread post by {DOU}The Jargonaut »

:( Sorry I missed ya. Did you at least get to see Tommy?
Tommy
I Worship His Shadow

Unread post by Tommy »

I had no idea he was going to be there.

T

Return to “Computer Chatter”