A handy INSTALL! My Secret

Computer Related Topics Can Be Found Here
GRouND ZeRo

A handy INSTALL! My Secret

Unread post by GRouND ZeRo »

Ever have headaches installing your OS to find that one program or virus somehow decided to do something funny to your computer...

Imagine going through stacks of programs and driver disks to find yourself sitting at the computer for hours on end swapping disks...

Well the best way I've considered is not to install everything on my hard drive, well... MAIN hard drive.

I've virtually done away with my Programs, Drivers and Game CD collection almost entirely by putting them on a second hard drive. The best part is I didn't need to buy another Hard Drive to start with...

AFTER... the 7th or so install I decided to SPLIT my HD in TWO by alotting 50% being the first PARTITION and the other 50% being the second partition... I've almost never had to re-install my games yet or even LOST my DRIVERS for my computer by keeping then on the Second part of my HD, Especially useful when storing my family pictures or internet utilities like TEAMSPEAK so I don't have to re-Download it again!

But if you find yourself at no end with having to RE-install Winblws try to make 2 separate drives on your hard drive.

The best part is that you can always re-install winblows to the first part of your hard drive without disturbing all of your SAVED MEDIA(ex.family pics) or INSTALLED GAMES wich may have dedious downloads or add-ons and such... on the SECOND part of your hard drive.

YES all the benefits of having TWO hard drives in ONE!

I've had my share of problems but I still have my original install of UT99 from DAY 1!!!

After all of the trials I've had I never had any problems with RE-INSTALLING WINBLOWS, UPGRADING HARDWARE & UPGRADING WINBLOWS from 98 to XP!

I hope this helps you out more than it did me!
{DOU}

*DARKMATTER*

Unread post by *DARKMATTER* »

Hmm knowing nothing about this what happens if the boot section gets wiped out does that take out both 'drives' ????
Draco

Unread post by Draco »

*DARKMATTER* wrote:Hmm knowing nothing about this what happens if the boot section gets wiped out does that take out both 'drives' ????
If the Boot sector is wiped out, it can be repaired very easily with the OS disk. I use partition magic and it has recovery disks that allow you to get to a point where you can repair it very easily. I have used this same set-up for years and it really does make things easier in most cases. There are a few instances that are so unlikely that you really don't have to worry about them but they do happen. Have a good one.

-Johnny Jones
GRouND ZeRo

*DARKMATTER* wrote:Hmm knowing nothing about this what happens if the boot section gets wiped out does that take out both 'drives' ????
You can always re-do the first part without losing the second part...

This is only one Physical Hard Drive with two partitions.

I've must have re-done the first partition in this hard drive like 20 times, even switched OS's with it... I always left the second partition as FAT32 instead of NTFS if I had to switch back the OS's...
{DOU}

GRouND ZeRo

Draco wrote:
If the Boot sector is wiped out, it can be repaired very easily with the OS disk. I use partition magic and it has recovery disks that allow you to get to a point where you can repair it very easily. I have used this same set-up for years and it really does make things easier in most cases. There are a few instances that are so unlikely that you really don't have to worry about them but they do happen. Have a good one.

-Johnny Jones
The fun part with Partition Magic is that you can easily install about as many installed OS's as your HD can handle. but it makes it easier to switch from win98, XP and linux on boot up...

If I can find a copy of that program i will buy it as it will become verry useful.
{DOU}

Draco

Unread post by Draco »

I'll see if I have it and possibly upload for yall's pleasure. It's a great program and you can create and format multiple drives with very little worry of losing the data already on your system. I know I have it somewhere. Just the trick of finding it. Have a good one.

-Johnny Jones

Return to “Computer Chatter”