Time Warner cable to meter internet usage

Computer Related Topics Can Be Found Here
{DOU}cHiCkEn

Time Warner cable to meter internet usage

Unread post by {DOU}cHiCkEn »

On Thursday, new Time Warner Cable Internet subscribers in Beaumont, Texas, will have monthly allowances for the amount of data they upload and download. Those who go over will be charged $1 per gigabyte, a Time Warner Cable executive told the Associated Press.

Metered billing is an attempt to deal fairly with Internet usage, which is very uneven among Time Warner Cable's subscribers, said Kevin Leddy, Time Warner Cable's executive vice president of advanced technology.

Just 5 percent of the company's subscribers take up half of the capacity on local cable lines, Leddy said. Other cable Internet service providers report a similar distribution.

"We think it's the fairest way to finance the needed investment in the infrastructure," Leddy said.

Link to the story:
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080602/tec_time ... .html?.v=4
{DOU}Cygnus

Re: Time Warner cable to meter internet usage

Unread post by {DOU}Cygnus »

Heard about them doing a trial market somewhere for this several months ago.
Glad I have DSL.
{DOU}The Jargonaut

Re: Time Warner cable to meter internet usage

Unread post by {DOU}The Jargonaut »

I am pretty sure that I am one of the top 5% the article is writing about. IMHO, I pay for my bandwidth. Just because 95% of the population just logs in to check email and eBay means squat to me. Also, if just 5% are power users and the other 95% are not, then I see no problem as the surfers do not need the bandwidth while I do. If this comes to pass, I may have to see what other options are available here in Bum F. Egypt.

Return to “Computer Chatter”