Mozilla FireFox 1.5

Computer Related Topics Can Be Found Here
{DOU}cHiCkEn

Mozilla FireFox 1.5

Unread post by {DOU}cHiCkEn »

Anyone using the new FireFox 1.5 browser? I guess it was recently updated from the original 1.0 version. It's winning lots of awards and I noticed on my trip to Estonia that official government computers were running Firefox (as was the hotel I stayed in). I asked one of my friends about it (that works for the gov't there) and she said they use it because it's more secure.

Not sure if that's because of built in security or that fact that most hackers target IE? On the downside I have read that some people find it uses alot of memory.

Any opinions on the browser from anyone using it?
{DOU}The Jargonaut

Unread post by {DOU}The Jargonaut »

I do. Love it. Tabbed browsing is the bomb. It sometimes gets a little memory leak, but it solves itself out in no time.
{DOU}cHiCkEn

Yeah, the tabbed browsing was something I was really interested in, as I often have multiple pages open.
{DOU}The Jargonaut

And the "uses a lot of memory" statement is a little misleading. If you consider 50 megs versus 30 to be a lot, then yes it does. If you have a system with 256 megs of ram, then it is a lot. But really, how many people have that little anymore.
*DARKMATTER*

Unread post by *DARKMATTER* »

I say do what we did and change (me and jarg) as you cant get rid of ie anyway its easy to go back, it loads a little slower then ie but then ie is part loaded with xp anyway, but once its up and running its generally quicker to acces sites (by load up i mean when you click on it to open a web page). Security is a little misleading it is safer as it doesnt allow some things ie does in the first place then theres the fact the viri are written more for M$ you can get add ons to do just about anything (like the smilies side barImage) and you can configure it to look almost the same as ie i did mine (becouse i was just too used to the way ie looked)

Hmm theres a few points hope it helps and as usuall just ask for more info if needed

D.M.
{DOU}The Jargonaut

Darkmatter raises a good point. You can really modify Firefox with all kinds of goodies. Skins and extensions are really neat. I love my Foxforecast. It keeps track of the weather at the bottom of the screen. and NO SPYWARE, unlike Weather Bug and others.
And the smileys that DM is refering to. Simply cool.
{DOU}cHiCkEn

Thanks for the info guys. Definitely gonna try it out.
.::/3I§ON::.

Unread post by .::/3I§ON::. »

The Jargonaut wrote:Darkmatter raises a good point. You can really modify Firefox with all kinds of goodies. Skins and extensions are really neat. I love my Foxforecast. It keeps track of the weather at the bottom of the screen. and NO SPYWARE, unlike Weather Bug and others.
And the smileys that DM is refering to. Simply cool.
Weather Bug has spyware in it? Didnt know that. Wherr can I find info on that?
Tommy
I Worship His Shadow

Unread post by Tommy »

{DOU}.:\cHiCkEn/:. wrote:Yeah, the tabbed browsing was something I was really interested in, as I often have multiple pages open.
Psssst...Apple came up with the whole tabbed browsing thing, we Mac users have been using it for years, lol!

Tommy
{DOU}plumber

Unread post by {DOU}plumber »

Weather bug will mess your stuff up.
clogs up the works something awful.
my old rig had real problems with it, had to reformat.
Its kinda lame anyway that weather bug, is log on to weather channel
or what ever. free up your cpu for more important things.
{DOU}cHiCkEn

Tommy wrote:
{DOU}.:\cHiCkEn/:. wrote:Yeah, the tabbed browsing was something I was really interested in, as I often have multiple pages open.
Psssst...Apple came up with the whole tabbed browsing thing, we Mac users have been using it for years, lol!

Tommy
Did Apple invent the internet too? :lol:
Tommy
I Worship His Shadow

Unread post by Tommy »

{DOU}.:\cHiCkEn/:. wrote:
Tommy wrote:

Tommy
Lol, you don't even know why that is funny even though you think you do.

Why it is so funny is because Al Gore now sits on Apples Board Of Directors, hahahaha.

Tommy
{DOU}cHiCkEn

Tommy wrote:
{DOU}.:\cHiCkEn/:. wrote:
Tommy wrote: Psssst...Apple came up with the whole tabbed browsing thing, we Mac users have been using it for years, lol!

Tommy
Lol, you don't even know why that is funny even though you think you do.

Why it is so funny is because Al Gore now sits on Apples Board Of Directors, hahahaha.

Tommy
Oh, that's right. HE invented the internet. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
{DOU}cHiCkEn

So, I gave up on FireFox with my old system. It was slow and sucked the life out of my Win2K with 933 proc and 512 memory.

However, with my new system with a rockin proc and huge mem, FireFox flies. And loads faster than IE.

Thing I don't like: to start a new tab in FireFox you have to select it under the file drop down menu, then after that you can double click above the webpage to create more tabs. The new IE has an extra tab ready to click on in the browser. Plus, IE has an "x" to cancel each tab as opposed to FF that has 1 "x" on the right hand end of the brower to click to close each tab. Unless I'm missing something, IE has a leg up on tabbed browsing.

Thoughts?
.::/3I§ON::.

Unread post by .::/3I§ON::. »

I've been using FF (mostley) for a little while now and I like it better than IE. Couple things I can live w/o but all in all I like it.
{DOU}.::/3I§ON::.
"Did you hear the one about me trying to die?

Fist in the air and a finger to the sky.

Do I care if you hate me? Do you wanna know the truth?

C'est la vie... adiós... good riddance... fuck you!..."5FDP"

Return to “Computer Chatter”