Number of OS X Mac's Infected With Viruses These Days

Computer Related Topics Can Be Found Here
Tommy
I Worship His Shadow

Number of OS X Mac's Infected With Viruses These Days

Unread post by Tommy »

MacDailyNews Take: Ou's is a meaningless exercise. In the past five years and counting, zero Macs — out of tens of millions — have been infected with a virus. Clearly, Windows XP cannot match that record.
http://www.macdailynews.com/index.php/w ... ents/8727/

Tommy
Tommy
I Worship His Shadow

Unread post by Tommy »

By the way, a few companies actually have virus software for the Mac. Why (other then to con noobs into spending money) I don't know.

I do not own any virus protection software at all. In the 4 years since I have been running OS X I have never once scanned my computer for viruses and the like. With that in mind, I can say with 100% certainty that I have no viruses, worms or trojans whatsoever.

Tommy

P.S. In the same 4 years I have had to re-install the OS zero times.
{DOU}Charger

Unread post by {DOU}Charger »

:lol: :lol: April fool :lol: :lol:
Fighting on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics.
Even if you win you're still retarded.
Tommy
I Worship His Shadow

Unread post by Tommy »

{DOU}Charger wrote::lol: :lol: April fool :lol: :lol:
Lol, nope ;)

T
{DOU}cHiCkEn

Unread post by {DOU}cHiCkEn »

Well, when you take into account that the Mac has a market share of 4% against the PC, you understand there isn't much incentive for hackers to write viruses for it. I wouldn't be so quick to say the Mac OS is more secure other than no one bothers with it. It the Mac had even a 30% share of personal computers and was used as standard equipment by even some major corporations then it would likely be riddled with viruses and other hacker crap.

It's saving grace is that it's just not relevant.
Tommy
I Worship His Shadow

Unread post by Tommy »

{DOU}.:\cHiCkEn/:. wrote:Well, when you take into account that the Mac has a market share of 4% against the PC, you understand there isn't much incentive for hackers to write viruses for it. I wouldn't be so quick to say the Mac OS is more secure other than no one bothers with it. It the Mac had even a 30% share of personal computers and was used as standard equipment by even some major corporations then it would likely be riddled with viruses and other hacker crap.

It's saving grace is that it's just not relevant.
Nope...back when it was possible to write at least non-harmful viruses for the mac (there were about 13-14), people tried. Now, years later when there are millions and millions and millions of more macs out there, there is even less incentive?

As for less incentive...we mac users have been bragging about this for a long time. You would think that a PC and / or mac hacker would write one just to shut us up. Hell, the person who was the first would become a god in the hacker elite circles. The incentive is huge.

Sorry man but I would be quick to say the mac is more secure (and I am saying it) because it is. That is a fact. 100% bullet-proof, I won't go that far. More secure than windows? It's a fact :)

T
{DOU}cHiCkEn

Unread post by {DOU}cHiCkEn »

Tommy wrote:
{DOU}.:\cHiCkEn/:. wrote: More secure than windows? It's a fact :)

T
Agreed, but respectfully disagree on the reason why. :D
{DOU}The Jargonaut

Unread post by {DOU}The Jargonaut »

More secure than windows? It's a fact
Dropping the soap in a prison shower is more secure than Windows....
*DARKMATTER*

Unread post by *DARKMATTER* »

Never fear your mac virus problems have been solved Image

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060405/bs_nm/apple_dc_1 Image

D.M.
Tommy
I Worship His Shadow

Unread post by Tommy »

*DARKMATTER* wrote:Never fear your mac virus problems have been solved Image

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060405/bs_nm/apple_dc_1 Image

D.M.
Wow will that be nice, huh? Watch what happens to Apple's marketshare now :o

As for the viruses, if you get a PC virus it will not affect the Mac side of things. Once you boot back into OS X the viruses will be rendered inert. I guess when running XP I will have to keep up on all the virus stuff. But all I would use XP for would be games anyway, no web-surfing, etc. Get all the game files from reputable places. Wow, I will really have to watch for that shit though, thats a drag. Good thing I will use the OS X side of the machine for most of my work :)

T
{DOU}Charger

Unread post by {DOU}Charger »

Tommy wrote:

T
Now 9 people will have one....lol
Fighting on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics.
Even if you win you're still retarded.
.::/3I§ON::.

Unread post by .::/3I§ON::. »

The Jargonaut wrote: Dropping the soap in a prison shower is more secure than Windows....

Tommy
I Worship His Shadow

Unread post by Tommy »

{DOU}Charger wrote:
Tommy wrote:

T
Now 9 people will have one....lol
Apples stock price surged $6.04 today. Wallstreet agreed with me calling this a "game changer." Apple may have just figured out how to signifigantly increase it's marketshare.

T
{DOU}The Jargonaut

Unread post by {DOU}The Jargonaut »

As I posted on RI.com
If you think about it, this is the an INCREDIBLE move on the part of Apple.
Okay, you set up a partition with Windows. You delete Internet Explorer, and Outlook Express so you won't pickup any viruses. Then you install whatever Windows based software you want.
As MEAT said, it is the best of both worlds.

This move has really increased the appeal of a Mac for me. If it increases sales, then it is not a bad move.

Unread post by *DARKMATTER* »

Tommy wrote: As for the viruses, if you get a PC virus it will not affect the Mac side of things. Once you boot back into OS X the viruses will be rendered inert. I guess when running XP I will have to keep up on all the virus stuff. But all I would use XP for would be games anyway, no web-surfing, etc. Get all the game files from reputable places. Wow, I will really have to watch for that shit though, thats a drag. Good thing I will use the OS X side of the machine for most of my work :)

T
Hmm unless its one of those viri that likes to run around the H.D deleting partitions or wiping the whole disk for that matter ??????
never fear i can get you legal free virus and firewall if you want them.

D.M.

Return to “Computer Chatter”