O.S. vs O.S.

Computer Related Topics Can Be Found Here
GRouND ZeRo

O.S. vs O.S.

Unread post by GRouND ZeRo »

OK so I picked up an OEM copy of XP PRO and I haven't had a need to insatall it yet... Which may lead to a complete re-do of my 40gig HD and a dire need to pick up a larger HD... Who needs anything larger than 40 gigs???

I'm kinda happy using windows 98 for now... the only need for XP right now is to run Quake 4 and hopefully a more stable TV application with the new Hauppauge TV card(WinTV GO-Plus) that I picked up... I miss my old ATI TV Wonder already!!! which was a pretty sweet TV card...
{DOU}

escapedturkey

Unread post by escapedturkey »

Yah, be sure to do a reinstall not just an upgrade. Upgrade leads to major issues. :o
GRouND ZeRo

Thanks for the warning...

I tried an upgrade and I'm not too happy with it but it will do for now...

I can actually use the magnifier and sidescroll on my mouse!!!
A few bits and pieces of drivers to be re-installed...(vid-printer-tvcard)

I had to dump my UT 2004 because it was using 5 gigs on a 10 gig partition which my OS was using... 40 Gigs only goes so far...

I swapped a 15" for a 17" and $30.00 for the trade and I'm much happier with the speed on which my system can handle the 1280x1024 rez in UT99...

in time I will pick up a 200+gig HD and re-install XP and see how well a full install works out...
{DOU}

GRouND ZeRo

So far no probs other than the Hauppauge TV card.... I should of picked up an ATI it would have been alot better for useability...

I mised 98 soo much that I made the Start bar look like the classic windows style...
{DOU}

escapedturkey

Unread post by escapedturkey »

Yah, what you might miss most about 98 is that old deltree fix. Deltree and re-install. Not so easy with 2K based stuff. :?
QwazyWabbit

Unread post by QwazyWabbit »

40gigs is plenty . :)
New installation of XP pro would be best. Then reinstall the applications you need. I run XP, Linux and OS/X here. Linux server doesn't get much use here so it wins the endurance contest, 76 days right now. This machine on XP has been up for: 25 days, 23 hours. The iMac has been up for 1 days 15 hours since a reboot due to iTunes update.
GRouND ZeRo

I had my WD 40gig for 4 years and it had a 1 year warranty and it hasn't crapped out on me yet... I just picked up a Seagate 200gig with a 5 year warranty and I hope that will last me a year...

Man, I went to the computer shop where I bought my computer from and asked the guy for a 512meg AGP video card and buddy said that he can't get me one but he will re-do my motherboard with dual SLI and get me set up with 2 512's but it will cost me a bit more... I am currently looking somewhere else...

The best price for a 512meg AGP in my area is $199.00 canadian and I may think about picking it up...

I just bought an ATI TV Wonder PRO($79.00CAD) and gave the Hauppauge(Good Riddance) to my mother(As a promise I made to her some time ago)...

I also got another 512meg PC3200 DDR($59.00CAD) for my system and I never seen it run so much better...

Hmmm, I also picked up a Pioneer DVD burner without lightscribe($44.00CAD) wich I hope it can replace my old YAMAHA SCSSI and retire it for good...

5.1 MegaPixel Polaroid digital camera($79.00CAD(PDC5070)) anyone??? alot better than my 2.0megagrainysomething EMage pice of...(you get the idea)

Man I better quit spending sooo much especially when I cleared half of St.Catherines(Ontario, Canada) on foot yesterday wearing a black sweatter...Shopping list...N-scale train set $44.00...Digital Polaroid camera $79.00...Palm IIIe pilot $19.99...25 pack DVD-R $6.99...ATI TV WORNER PRO $79.00... all in 4 hours!!!
{DOU}

GRouND ZeRo

Does anyone know if Windows Longhorn/Vista is gonna be worth all the trouble of picking up???

Especially with all of the compatibility issues of the previous versions of windows???
{DOU}

GRouND ZeRo

Microsoft Windows (Longhorn/VISTA)??? HEADACHE!!!

Microsoft Windows Longhorn VISTA

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/

It never ceases to amaze me with the techknoledgy that is comming out each day but Microsloth has it licked with their new operating system that is comming out early next year with their "LONGHORN" bull market software... Is it worth picking up a newer operating system that is gonna eat a hole in your pocket and leave you dry in a sense of compatibility issues for hardware components and software??? or shall we stay with XP and suffer the downfall of microsloths efforts of getting a larger pie of the market... I stay stick with what you got and deal with it... I can run my games and programs fine with XP but why do I need the supposed newer version when I am just fine where I am?

I say it is not worth the money or trouble to go Vista to give yourself more headache in the end to find the incompatibility in the hardware drivers and software programs that used to work...

Ummm.... which version is right for you???

Windows Vista Business
Regardless of the size of your organization, Windows Vista Business will help you lower your PC management costs, improve your security, enhance your productivity, and help you stay better connected.

Windows Vista Enterprise
Windows Vista Enterprise is designed to meet the needs of large global organizations with highly complex IT infrastructures. Windows Vista Enterprise can help you lower your IT costs while providing additional layers of protection for your sensitive data.

Windows Vista Home Premium
Whether you choose to use your PC to write e-mail and surf the Internet, for home entertainment, or to track your household expenses, Windows Vista Home Premium delivers a more complete and satisfying computing experience.

Windows Vista Home Basic
Windows Vista Home Basic is designed to deliver improved reliability, security, and usability to home PC users who just want to do the basics with their PCs.

Windows Vista Ultimate
If you want all of the best business features, all of the best mobility features, and all of the best home entertainment features that Windows Vista has to offer, Windows Vista Ultimate is the solution for you. With Windows Vista Ultimate you don't have to compromise.

----------------------------------------------------------------
A Windows Vista Capable PC includes at least:
A modern processor (at least 800MHz1).
512 MB of system memory.
A graphics processor that is DirectX 9 capable.
A Windows Vista Premium Ready PC includes at least:
1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor1.
1 GB of system memory.
A graphics processor that runs Windows Aero2.
128 MB of graphics memory.
40 GB of hard drive capacity with 15 GB free space.
DVD-ROM Drive3.
Audio output capability.
Internet access capability.
Windows Vista Capable and Premium Ready footnotes
Processor speed is specified as the nominal operational processor frequency for the device. Some processors have power management which allows the processor to run at lower rate to save power.
Windows Aero requires:
DirectX 9 class graphics processor that:
Supports a WDDM Driver.
Supports Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware.
Supports 32 bits per pixel.
Adequate graphics memory.
64 MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor less than 1,310,720 pixels
128 MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor at resolutions from 1,310,720 to 2,304,000 pixels
256 MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor at resolutions higher than 2,304,000 pixels
Meets graphics memory bandwidth requirements, as assessed by Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor running on Windows XP
A DVD-ROM may be external (not integral, not built into the system).
DAM the compatibility!!!!
{DOU}

Return to “Computer Chatter”