Physics Processor???

Computer Related Topics Can Be Found Here
GRouND ZeRo

Physics Processor???

Unread post by GRouND ZeRo »

OK so you got a great GPU(Video Card) and an awesome CPU... but what is missing???

Physics Processing Unit???

BFG Tech has an answer...

http://www.bfgtech.com/physx/index.htm

----------------------------------------------
Something for Turkey to drool over... \/
20 Game Titles Announced for AGEIA PhysX in 2006:

Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter
Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends
Bet on Soldier: Blood Sport
Cell Factor
>>> City of Villains
>>> Unreal Tournament 2007
Gunship Apocalypse
Sacred II
Loki
Dogtag
Fallen Earth
Crazy Machines 2
Arena Online
Diabolique
Warhammer MMORPG
Eye of the Storm
Alpha Prime
{DOU}

GRouND ZeRo

No replies??? This gadget helps get rid of the CPU usage bottleneck!
{DOU}

TheMickeyM©

Unread post by TheMickeyM© »

I can see this being a VERY hot item once games are released that will use it. But for right now this is far more useful to engineers doing dynamic studies on structures in a CAE system.
I think by the time it gets useful to gamers, it will end up a co-prosesor on a graphics card rather than a "stand alone" card. IMHO
{DOU}The Jargonaut

Unread post by {DOU}The Jargonaut »

I agree with Mickey, and even would go so far as betting that with multicore processors, the physics of a game will be handled by one of the cores already in place. There will be no need for a separate processor on a card.
QwazyWabbit

Unread post by QwazyWabbit »

Game physics is handled in the server for players and projectiles and in the client for rendering in the GPU. This is great for game stations or single player but I wonder how it will perform (or if it will help) on a multiplayer/multigame online server. The most CPU intensive stuff is now happening in the server side games like Enemy Territory and BF series games. The servers don't have the graphics burden but when it comes to keeping 64 players unlagged they fall down.
GRouND ZeRo

QwazyWabbit wrote:Game physics is handled in the server for players and projectiles and in the client for rendering in the GPU. This is great for game stations or single player but I wonder how it will perform (or if it will help) on a multiplayer/multigame online server. The most CPU intensive stuff is now happening in the server side games like Enemy Territory and BF series games. The servers don't have the graphics burden but when it comes to keeping 64 players unlagged they fall down.
That would be totally awesome to have more power for each server to render each player much faster and to have much more processing power to do it would be something else especially with particles from real world dynamics.

I wonder if BFG is considering of building a client rendering card??? Especially with the MMORPG's out there where millions can be on a server at any time... Or would that be tooo much to have more of a lifelike feel to a game???
{DOU}

Return to “Computer Chatter”