Help the Jarg out here. (Everyone can vote and post)

Computer Related Topics Can Be Found Here

If you had your choice, what would you do?

Buy a really nice (but not top of the line) laptop.
13%
Buy a super nice desktop. State of the art.
67%
Buy an above average Mac desktop and dual boot Windows.
20%
Buy a below average Mac I-Book and dual boot Windows.
No votes

Total votes: 15

Toons

Unread post by Toons »

AMD is lagging Intel and Intel intends for it to stay that way. The loss of market share to AMD over the last couple of years is not likely to happen again unless Intel does their complacency thing- unlikely.

I expect that the new AMD processors will do no more than achieve some kind of parity with the current Intel lineup, but Intel has new processors coming out in the second half of this year (Penryn, using the new 45 nm Hi-K metal gate process), and an entirely new processor architecture next year (Nehalem).

Penryn adds huge L2 cache, bumps clocks up to over 3 GHz, has better power management, lower idle power and more instructions per clock cycle.

Nehalem will feature (amazingly enough) an integrated memory controller (Intel finally capitulated on that one), up to 8 cores (and probably more), even more instructions per clock cycle, and a bunch of other improvements over the current architecture.

And then the 32 nm process is in the works. Unless AMD can pull out a major discovery of some kind, things are looking grim for them.
{DOU}The Jargonaut

Unread post by {DOU}The Jargonaut »

Argh! I should have waited!
That is the reason that I HATE to get new computers. Something better is ALWAYS on the horizon!
GRouND ZeRo

Unread post by GRouND ZeRo »

ANOLOG TV Tuner??? WHAT BRAND???

Let me know...

Looks like a decent setup for what you want but it's no desktop...

I'm sure a Desktop can do much better as in parts but RISC does not sound good to me... Especially in laptops...

RISC: Reduced Instruction Set CPU
{DOU}

{DOU}The Jargonaut

Unread post by {DOU}The Jargonaut »

I mostly got this for my girlfriend and her daughter. They will be getting the most enjoyment out of it.

I think that the tuner is built by ASUS as well. I am a fan of their motherboards and have not had any issues with them. I am hoping that I can let you know how the PC is soon.

Return to “Computer Chatter”