Having troubles gettin on the DOU sniper server

Computer Related Topics Can Be Found Here
Balony

Having troubles gettin on the DOU sniper server

Unread post by Balony »

It will load the map very fast then when it starts loading other things it loads VERY slow, occasionally i can get on right away but more times than not it is nearly impossible as it would change maps before im downloading the files i need. Like i said i have played the server several times so i dont think it is something on my end, i have no troubles other than the COPS server and that is due to not having the UTDC.dll they want. Thanks for any help.
{DOU}The Jargonaut

Unread post by {DOU}The Jargonaut »

Can you tell us what files are loading slowly?
Tommy
I Worship His Shadow

Unread post by Tommy »

I am assuming this to mean that the files you need and don't have are downloading from the server very slow.

This is indeed is most likely a problem on your end as I am not getting reports of it from anybody else. I do check the server regularly as well.

While I suppose there is the possibility of a few files on the server being missing from the redirect server, I would be surprised by this. I am very careful to make sure that anything I add to the server is first compressed and added to the redirect server. [I just looked and saw nothing indicated in the redirect error log, it would tell me if a file was requested that wasn't there.]

What I am guessing here is that your connection is timing out before connecting to the redirect at some point. When this happens you will start downloading from the game server itself. This is very slow, and purposely so (otherwise you would eat the game server bandwidth and the people who have the files already would take an enormous performance hit).

There are a few things you can do.

First, if the files start coming down slow, disconnect from the server. Then re-connect. Keep doing this until the files start moving fast again. The reason for this is that once you lose your connection to the redirect server, you won't connect to it again automatically for the next file. The game server will send all the files to you, which, again, is slow.

Second, take notice to see if you are hanging on a specific file. There can be a few different reasons for this, and as such a few different fixes. But since you do eventually connect, I doubt this to be the problem.

Also, remember to run a cache cleaner regularly. At the very least run it once a month. A better idea is once a week. Best would be anytime after a night of fragging.

Try all of this first and see what happens.

Tommy
Tommy
I Worship His Shadow

Unread post by Tommy »

P.S. The problem with losing your connection to the redirect is a common one. Anybody who finds themselves all of a sudden downloading a file very slowly should reconnect.

Tommy
Balony

Unread post by Balony »

Thanks for the speedy replies, i will do some investigating from the things you have told me.. ill let you know what i find out
Balony

Unread post by Balony »

Well im still having troubles, i have been on several time and fragged then next time it downloads slow, i did figure this much out...

When it downloads the maps it completely downloads it then starts through it a second time, that is when it is slow. Thats about all the help i can be since it is so random
Draco

Unread post by Draco »

I'm thinking a very simple, small change has happened either through corruption or accidental. Save a copy of your UnrealTournament.ini as a back-up and then delete the one out of your system folder. Don't worry, next time you start the game a new one will be generated. All of your player related stuff is stored elsewhere so none of that will be altered. Fire up the game and go to DOU server. If it was what I'm thinking then problem solved and frag on. If not, just restore your ini and move to the next item on the trouble-shooting list. Have a good one.

-Johnny Jones

--When you go to the ServerBrower section in UnrealTournament, what version of game does it say you have under the News Tab?--

Return to “Computer Chatter”