Symmetrical FiOS

Computer Related Topics Can Be Found Here
Tommy
I Worship His Shadow

Symmetrical FiOS

Unread post by Tommy »

Check this link out:

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Symm ... nday-89516

I'd fn cream my pants if I had a 20 meg upload speed. 20 / 20 would be fn great!

Tommy
{DOU}The Jargonaut

Unread post by {DOU}The Jargonaut »

Yeesh.. That is cheaper than I pay Time Warner... I'm being robbed.

Of course Tommy, since you live in NC, it will be at least 15 years before we get this.

With a 20 meg upload, could you not run a server for 20-24 people from home?
{DOU}plumber

Unread post by {DOU}plumber »

Atleast you have Time Warner
Lots of people in that area of the country have no high speed at all....
Draco

Unread post by Draco »

{DOU}The Jargonaut wrote:Yeesh.. That is cheaper than I pay Time Warner... I'm being robbed.

Of course Tommy, since you live in NC, it will be at least 15 years before we get this.

We rent our box from the same place DOU does only we use a Windows machine to run a certain Micro$oft game that was never released in a linux server version. Both boxes are residing in the same data-center on the same backbone. Here is what we are pulling. I couldn't imagine yall's being much different from ours as far as bandwidth goes. Also, the ISP has told me that they will be upgrading the network some time this month.

Note the incredible upload rate. I'm guessing you could run a gameserver or 3 from home on one of those new 20m connections if your internet provider hasn't written the whole 'no game server' rule. Have a good one.

-Johnny Jones
Tommy
I Worship His Shadow

Unread post by Tommy »

Draco wrote:
{DOU}The Jargonaut wrote:Yeesh.. That is cheaper than I pay Time Warner... I'm being robbed.

We rent our box from the same place DOU does only we use a Windows machine to run a certain Micro$oft game that was never released in a linux server version. Both boxes are residing in the same data-center on the same backbone. Here is what we are pulling. I couldn't imagine yall's being much different from ours as far as bandwidth goes. Also, the ISP has told me that they will be upgrading the network some time this month.

Note the incredible upload rate. I'm guessing you could run a gameserver or 3 from home on one of those new 20m connections if your internet provider hasn't written the whole 'no game server' rule. Have a good one.

-Johnny Jones
Did you opt for the 10meg nic with the greater monthly bandwidth?

T
Tommy
I Worship His Shadow

Unread post by Tommy »

Here is another article on the 20 / 20 connection.

http://newscenter.verizon.com/press-rel ... -with.html

Version is actually testing 100meg service now and also clams that their infrastructure can do 400meg bursts and 200meg sustained. Fucking serious speed there. If that was symm it would be incredible.

T
Draco

Unread post by Draco »

Tommy wrote:
Draco wrote:

-Johnny Jones
Did you opt for the 10meg nic with the greater monthly bandwidth?

T
Nope, That's just the base 1 MBPS Burstable that comes with the package. Have a good one.

-Johnny Jones
QwazyWabbit

Unread post by QwazyWabbit »

Verizon wants to kick cable a$$. Competition... ain't it great?

Pray the cable companies can survive and compete. If not, say goodby to cheap wideband. Once the telco's have a lock on the market the prices will go up as service contracts expire. QoS on cable will fall as people migrate to fibre. Cable will have less cash to fund infrastructure, lower QoS means faster exodus of customers... etc. Spiral of Doom.

Of course, this assumes Verizon won't screw with customers with their own QoS problems and bad customer support keeping everyone dissatisfied and alternating between cable, satellite, wireless and fios. :)

Friend of mine has T1 on microwave flat panel for his internet stuff. Moved to upscale neighborhood and new roads, didn't want to be first on block to have FiOS and instigate a road rip-up. They didn't do it that way here, but he's happy with his service.
BJB

Unread post by BJB »

Well, I can only hope Verizon will do this as a test out here in Briggs, Texas. We do have Verizon so, I know they will do it here first as I'm a loyal longtime customer, right?
opahcrash

Unread post by opahcrash »

:shock: just checked with verizon on this and they said that for 65$ right now I could get up to 15 meg and free modem , not the same as your talking about but close .is this any good ???????
Tommy
I Worship His Shadow

Unread post by Tommy »

opahcrash wrote::shock: just checked with verizon on this and they said that for 65$ right now I could get up to 15 meg and free modem , not the same as your talking about but close .is this any good ???????
Well, it might be the same thing. They have 20 meg service in some areas and 15 in others. If it is the Symmetrical FiOS (and you should make sure it is that before you order it), all I am saying is that a lot of people here, myself included, would give up a nut to have it.

Tommy
QwazyWabbit

Unread post by QwazyWabbit »

Their first FiOS town was in Texas near Dallas, IIRC.

The have been doing towns all over the place but their doesn't seem to be a pattern. I think the main criteria are the market against cable and how fast the city agrees to their terms and how fast they can get contractors to do the trunks through the town.

Arial work is done by Verizon's wireman.
Underground trenching or horizontal drilling is done by contractors.
All the fiber handling and splicing is done by Verizon people.

In my area they drilled and planted the orange tube then the splicers pulled the fiber and did the work on the splitters. Then they took subscriber orders and Verizon guys took a 4 days to get me fiber and ONT installed. I was first on the block to get it.

Overhead takes about 2 days.

It freaking great. I highly recommend it. I don't have TV on it but internet is 100% and I have never experienced an outage. I hear their DVR is slow to respond to the remote.
{DOU}The Jargonaut

Unread post by {DOU}The Jargonaut »

T. Since Lenoir is getting a Google datacenter, will FiOS be available in Hickory?
Draco

Unread post by Draco »

I had Time-Warner out last week working my connection problem. It seems as it gets colder throughout the evening, my upload rate gradually decreases until I'm pulling lower-than-dialup speeds. They couldn't fix it...again! I mentioned what I had read here about FiOS. Even the level 2 TW tech piped up before I could finish and said 'Hell yeah! I'm getting it!'. The way he explained it was that Cable was a great technology at the time but that it is pretty much limited in it's capabilities. They can't make it go any faster because it just isn't possible. That's just a ringing endorsement for cable, ehh?

-Johnny Jones
*DARKMATTER*

Unread post by *DARKMATTER* »

Draco wrote:I had Time-Warner out last week working my connection problem. It seems as it gets colder throughout the evening, my upload rate gradually decreases until I'm pulling lower-than-dialup speeds. They couldn't fix it...again! I mentioned what I had read here about FiOS. Even the level 2 TW tech piped up before I could finish and said 'Hell yeah! I'm getting it!'. The way he explained it was that Cable was a great technology at the time but that it is pretty much limited in it's capabilities. They can't make it go any faster because it just isn't possible. That's just a ringing endorsement for cable, ehh?

-Johnny Jones
Not sure about the symmetrical bit but how fast is "can't make it much faster" bit in that sentence because were getting 50 meg speeds supposedly by the end of feb all trials and stuff has already finished and they have tested 100meg for a possible release at the end of the year .....
The upload on these speed's is still questionable tho...

Return to “Computer Chatter”