BURN MY PC?

Computer Related Topics Can Be Found Here
GRouND ZeRo

BURN MY PC?

Unread post by GRouND ZeRo »

I recently dusted my computer and found a majour problem...

It seems that Speed fan can see everything, but Temp2 is the true reading of my CPU temperature...

APP REF: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
A neat and FREE handy utility...

Unfortunately I'll have to replace the "SILVER PASTE" under my heatsink before I run UT99 again...

{DOU}

Tommy
I Worship His Shadow

Unread post by Tommy »

Buy a Mac?

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Tommy
GRouND ZeRo

Tommy wrote:Buy a Mac?

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Tommy
Unfortunately support for a MAC doesn't include regular dusting!!!
{DOU}

GRouND ZeRo

For those of you tuning in...

I loaded a tuning software from the CD I got with my M/B and tuned my CPU down to abouut half of the full 2GHz that it is supposed to run at. So I am running at 1GHz!!!

Wich somehow magically brought down the temperature as well!

Still have no clue on how to set the proper speeds on my fans as of yet.
{DOU}

{DOU}The Jargonaut

Unread post by {DOU}The Jargonaut »

Does your BIOS not have an auto mode that will turn the fans faster the hotter it gets?
GRouND ZeRo

{DOU}The Jargonaut wrote:Does your BIOS not have an auto mode that will turn the fans faster the hotter it gets?
I don't really know but I want the fans to run constant anyways...
{DOU}

Evil

Unread post by Evil »

Hmmm. That sucks. Usually what I get instead is the fan stops and you notice because you smell hot electronics and the computer starts freezing... :evil:
GRouND ZeRo

Evil wrote:Hmmm. That sucks. Usually what I get instead is the fan stops and you notice because you smell hot electronics and the computer starts freezing... :evil:
If the computer locks up and the fans arn't going there's a HUGE problem!

If the fans run constant then everything should be fine... I'm not too worried...
{DOU}

QwazyWabbit

Unread post by QwazyWabbit »

CPU power dissipation is directly related to clock speed. The faster you want it to go, the more power it takes and the hotter it gets. 61 C is not all that bad.

Increasing fan speed doesn't necessarily cool the CPU any better. Faster air is cooler air but it's in contact with the heatsink for a shorter time, sometimes taking off less heat. This increases the gradient across the heat sink making the outside of the heatsink cooler but not taking it off the chip any faster. Using a heat sink with more surface area will move heat from sink to air faster for the same rate of air flow. Variable speed is for sound, quieter computer when not loaded, less power consumed too, especially in laptops. Raise the fan speed only when heat is greater.

The most desirable condition is moderate air flow and quiet fans, very good thermal conductivity from chip to heatsink and a fast thermal time constant, dT/dt. The curve will rise and fall faster when you have good conductivity. The delta-T between ambient and CPU temp will be lower.

Always use the right heatsink for your CPU. Improvised designs seldom work well. Heat sink grease is usually zinc oxide or aluminum oxide in silicone, sometimes silver metal but don't be messy with that stuff or you can short stuff on the board.

Some people lap the heat sink and CPU faces to make them flatter, this seems pointless to me and electrostatically dangerous to the CPU. Heat sink grease has the same thermal conductivity as the metals used in heat sinks and fills those gaps, that's what it's for. NEVER lap a gold plated top. Gold is the best thermal and electrical conductor there is. Removing the gold makes the top plate susceptible to oxidation, copper oxides are poorer conductors than un-rustable gold. Same for Silver. Silver and silver oxide are better thermal and electrical conductors than any other metal or metal oxides.

Conductivity Rank ("pure" metals):
Silver
Copper
Gold
Aluminum
GRouND ZeRo

QwazyWabbit wrote:Conductivity Rank ("pure" metals):
Silver
Copper
Gold
Aluminum
Q. Are we talking about Electrical conductivity or Thermal conductivity...

Because Brass is sometimes used as a Heatsink as well...

If your wondering what I'm using as a Heatsink is a combination of aluminum and copper where the copper is seated on top of the CPU and the aluminum is married to the copper with a fan mounted on top blowing air in.

Q.2. When should you regularly have your computer dusted???
{DOU}

GRouND ZeRo

Ummm... hehehe...

Besides the "Heat Problems" that I've been getting I had also discovered that it wasn't the end of my dust problems either...

Namely the design of my motherboard or the of the CPU heatsink that came standard with the motherboard had pretty much soiled my AGP slot and Ram slots sitting nearby.

As I was perplexed by what was going on pulling out every card and minimizing the Add-Ons that I had installed on this PC and to find out just removing the ram and using the 2nd 512mb stick in slot 0((Zero)LoL why me?) got it up and running and leaves me wondering how much worse can my PC get???

I'm going to splurge for a new PC ASAP!
IBM X86 Compatible AMD or Intel Dual or Quad Core???
(A MAC can't handle the stuff that I work with... Sorry Tommy)

Hmm... all the choices in the world for configurations are almost endless...

I've been dreaming for a Dual-SLI setup with 2 Dual core CPU's but I can't find a M/B out there that would have it... or at least not yet...
{DOU}

Tommy
I Worship His Shadow

Unread post by Tommy »

GRouND ZeRo wrote:
(A MAC can't handle the stuff that I work with... Sorry Tommy)
Wanna back that up with something?

T
{DOU}The Jargonaut

Unread post by {DOU}The Jargonaut »

GZ wrote:
've been dreaming for a Dual-SLI setup with 2 Dual core CPU's but I can't find a M/B out there that would have it... or at least not yet...
I am surprised Tommy did not pounce on you for this one. If you can live without the dual SLI...
http://www.apple.com/macpro/technology/processor.html

Umm, how about two Quad core processors?
Tommy
I Worship His Shadow

Unread post by Tommy »

{DOU}The Jargonaut wrote:GZ wrote:
've been dreaming for a Dual-SLI setup with 2 Dual core CPU's but I can't find a M/B out there that would have it... or at least not yet...
I am surprised Tommy did not pounce on you for this one. If you can live without the dual SLI...

And if you CAN'T live without the Dual SLI, Mac's have slots for 4 v-cards now.

T
GRouND ZeRo

Tommy wrote:
{DOU}The Jargonaut wrote:GZ wrote:

And if you CAN'T live without the Dual SLI, Mac's have slots for 4 v-cards now.

T
LOL! 2 Quad Core Cpu's???

I believe I've already came across 8 Core Mac Cpu's... That was Dual Quad Core Cpu's Paired up in the Mac G5... Care to buy me one???

All that and left clueless what to do with it...

At least I'm the only one that knows what I like... A 'kit' computer built for less than $1000.00... Better check those prices...

What are you saving up for???

--------------------------------------
OK... for the Ending for this story...
--------------------------------------

What have I done???

http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=36

A neat little applet to 'Benchmark' the Pi calculation on your computer?
(>>> I dare you guys to try this!... and please post your results!!!)

Wait a minute? Why is the computer running soo cool???
- Silly me didn't 'Seat' CPU heatsink properly onto the CPU... No wonder why the mount was hard to put on!... :shootself:

What you see in the Graph is the BIOS CPU reading in the green and the Unknown reading in the red. Showing idle temps inbetween.

P.S. I still want to get myself a new Comp!
{DOU}

Return to “Computer Chatter”