UT on XP os

Computer Related Topics Can Be Found Here
HappyFnCamper

UT on XP os

Unread post by HappyFnCamper »

I helped a buddy out and installed UT on his XP. Is there anything special that has to be set for UT on XP? I loaded the game up with all the bonus pks etc and when we fired UT up, it kept crashin his system. I was usin software render to get him started It would run for 30-60 sec and crash...from what I saw it was doin great in software render to start, frame rates and detail looked good to go then splooch another crash.... I have no clue why it bugged on him. His pc rocks its all intel, all he needs is a vid card.

I thought XP is 100% bkwards compatible w/win98. Any1 can throw me a bone on this one?
Tommy
I Worship His Shadow

Re: UT on XP os

Unread post by Tommy »

HappyFnCamper wrote:I helped a buddy out and installed UT on his XP. Is there anything special that has to be set for UT on XP? I loaded the game up with all the bonus pks etc and when we fired UT up, it kept crashin his system. I was usin software render to get him started It would run for 30-60 sec and crash...from what I saw it was doin great in software render to start, frame rates and detail looked good to go then splooch another crash.... I have no clue why it bugged on him. His pc rocks its all intel, all he needs is a vid card.

I thought XP is 100% bkwards compatible w/win98. Any1 can throw me a bone on this one?
You need to patch UT to the latest version or else it will not work with the newer Windows OS's.

T
HappyFnCamper

Yea....

Unread post by HappyFnCamper »

Yepper I did that V436. Still didn't go well. Might try to do the install all over again and do the 436 b4 all the bonus pks instead.
Tommy
I Worship His Shadow

Re: Yea....

Unread post by Tommy »

HappyFnCamper wrote:Yepper I did that V436. Still didn't go well. Might try to do the install all over again and do the 436 b4 all the bonus pks instead.
Try upgrading to 4.51 first. Go to:

http://utpg.org/

and get what you need.

T
Moon

Unread post by Moon »

I thought that the 451 was only for servers ?...

Otherwise I do think that you have to upgrade to 436 bafeore getting the packs in... 8)
-------------------o00o---°(_)°---o00o----------------------
Tommy
I Worship His Shadow

Unread post by Tommy »

Nope, 4.51 is for clients too. Go to http://utpg.org/ (official site) and check it out.

T
Moon

Unread post by Moon »

Tommy wrote:Nope, 4.51 is for clients too. Go to http://utpg.org/ (official site) and check it out.

T
I was playing on CG and SilentBob told me that he had problems coming into Dou server (I suppose Dou deemer server as he is a real good deemer player)
And he told me YOU talked him aboout "another upgrade than 436" so I think it was 451.
Moon

Unread post by Moon »

TOMMY,

I downloaded 451 here (at my friends house) and the files into this patch a scaring us !!!
There is a "system" folder and a "web" folder but we don't know if the "system" will replace the actual one (this could be a real damage !!!)or if the files inside will be added without any risc...??? :roll:

Could you tell us (me) how to manage the upgrade...
Thanks guru !... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tommy
I Worship His Shadow

Unread post by Tommy »

Moon wrote:TOMMY,

I downloaded 451 here (at my friends house) and the files into this patch a scaring us !!!
There is a "system" folder and a "web" folder but we don't know if the "system" will replace the actual one (this could be a real damage !!!)or if the files inside will be added without any risc...??? :roll:

Could you tell us (me) how to manage the upgrade...
Thanks guru !... :lol: :lol: :lol:
No idea, there is no 4.51 for the mac. But I will take a look at it for you today :)

T
*DARKMATTER*

Unread post by *DARKMATTER* »

hmmm i'm running it on xp with the 436patch but i did the install this way

Install game (like thats not obvious)
Then the textures cd (if you have not got that cd goto hermskii's site he got them on there)
Patch to 436
Install any saved folders maps, textures etc (i saved the folders when i upgraded to xp saves re-downloading endless files from the servers)

then all you gotta do is set up your player and dont forget to set your connection speed in the game too.

hope that helps

Dark :wink: :wink: :twisted: :twisted:
GRouND ZeRo

Re: UT on XP os

Unread post by GRouND ZeRo »

HappyFnCamper wrote:I helped a buddy out and installed UT on his XP. Is there anything special that has to be set for UT on XP? I loaded the game up with all the bonus pks etc and when we fired UT up, it kept crashin his system. I was usin software render to get him started It would run for 30-60 sec and crash...from what I saw it was doin great in software render to start, frame rates and detail looked good to go then splooch another crash.... I have no clue why it bugged on him. His pc rocks its all intel, all he needs is a vid card.

Win XP isn't 100% backwards... it has it's own downfalls...

I ran UT(for the tournament JULY 31st) on My GF's INTEL 1Ghz Celeron with a crummy 8meg on-board video and the funny thing was it could do software video render great in 800x600 mode... but I had it running UT for like 2 days straight and not even one crash...

Make sure buddy there isn't running too much or even tell him hid vid may be causing the crash in the first place...
{DOU}

Return to “Computer Chatter”