Opinions Solicited

Computer Related Topics Can Be Found Here
Tommy
I Worship His Shadow

Opinions Solicited

Unread post by Tommy »

Here is the deal. I now have 2 dead computers as the result of a lightning strike to my apartment. The first computer was dead right away and the other died a week or so later. Both have the same synptoms.

Both are all-in-on Mac's. The first a G4 eMac and the second an intel iMac.

Both have ethernet on the logic board.

When I turn either on, they turn on but do not start up. Not even the chime / beep. The monitors do not light up, and it does not sound like there is any HDD activity. The dvd drives don't sound like they are cycling either.

The obvious question right now is - is this more likely a power supply issue or a logic board issue?

The reason I think it may be a power supply issue is that machines just don't seem to be powering up. But on the other hand, can a power supply work but not correctly? The machines do turn on, it's just than not much happens after that.

What say all of you? Ask people you know too, I want lots of opinions on this.

I am holding out hope that it is the power supplies, because that is a much cheaper fix. But and I hoping for something that is unlikely?

Tommy
{DOU}The Jargonaut

Re: Opinions Solicited

Unread post by {DOU}The Jargonaut »

My opinion...
Would the PS stop the surge from the strike? Probably not. I have fried a motherboard with static electricity. Is the PS in an Apple proprietary? If not, get a cheap PS or get one on Ebay. It may be worth the small price just to ease your mind.
pebcak

Unread post by pebcak »

Yo Tommy,

Sorry to hear about your machines.

Cheapest first test is to replace the PSU. You would be lucky if that was the issue. You are a Mac guy so it would not hurt to have a PSU around in the future if that is not the problem. You WILL buy more Macs if these are cooked.

See if you can find a PSU that will work in both. You can not go too big with the PSU.

Next step is to take the drives to a friend that has a Mac (you do have one, right?) and test the drives.

email me at doupebcak (AT) gmail (DOT) com if you need to talk.
{DOU}pebcak

I love the sound of "GODLIKE" in the morning.
pebcak

Unread post by pebcak »

Yo Tommy!

Just found this and wasn't even looking.

http://lifehacker.com/399028/hfsexplore ... ard-drives
{DOU}pebcak

I love the sound of "GODLIKE" in the morning.

Return to “Computer Chatter”