online play freezing up with new puter

Computer Related Topics Can Be Found Here
poorboy

online play freezing up with new puter

Unread post by poorboy »

a friend of mine (lonewolf) just bought a hp amd duel core, 4 gigs mem, nividia 6100 onboard graphics, running windows vista. now the problem is it runs fine till he joins a server after about 10 secs approxamatly the hole screen just freezes solid. NOTHING WORKS cept cnrtl alt del end task to close the game off. ive tryed dissabling one of the cores-reinstalling the game several times-odds and ends but i have no clue whats going on with it other than its a hp :? thx for any advise
Tommy
I Worship His Shadow

Re: online play freezing up with new puter

Unread post by Tommy »

poorboy wrote:a friend of mine (lonewolf) just bought a hp amd duel core, 4 gigs mem, nividia 6100 onboard graphics, running windows vista. now the problem is it runs fine till he joins a server after about 10 secs approxamatly the hole screen just freezes solid. NOTHING WORKS cept cnrtl alt del end task to close the game off. ive tryed dissabling one of the cores-reinstalling the game several times-odds and ends but i have no clue whats going on with it other than its a hp :? thx for any advise
What OS is he running?

It's a long shot, but I had the exact same thing happen to me, and it ended up being kernel panic. Why I was fine until I played a game is beyond my knowledge. It ended up being a bad mouse. Once replaced I was fine. [There is a funny story for another time about when this happened and I called Apple Tech Support at 6am while under the influence of Ambien. I hope the poor guy was making good money, lol.]

Just re-read your message. I don't know much about Vista, is it Unix based? I think Wabbit or pebcak might have more to say on this. It does sound like a hardware problem. Have him install a different game and see if the same thing happens. Also, did he un-install and then re-install the game itself?

What i have heard from *many* people is that Vista sucks ass for gaming, too many problems.

Tommy
poorboy

Unread post by poorboy »

yea he can play any other game he has tryed so far 2k4, call of duty4, counter strike, battlefield, america's army u know so far everything he's tryed has run fine except ut99 (online play) but he's upgrading his display card this weekend to a nividia 8500 512mb so he can get crysis to run and help some more in graphical areas but maybe the vista is whats messing wid ut99 o well least mine works hehe :lol:
Tommy
I Worship His Shadow

Unread post by Tommy »

If his Vista is 64 bit then the problem is most likely a conflict with UTDC. I don't know if this can be fixed. Maybe with an upgrade to UTDC 2.1. I will see.

Tommy
{DOU}Cygnus

Unread post by {DOU}Cygnus »

Not certain but I think I read somewhere that there is a patch or update to fix the 64 bit problem. My Vista wasn't freezing but I do remember downloading something from Vista's website that fixed the graphics problem I was having.

Return to “Computer Chatter”