Got a new box today:

AMD Athalon x 2 running at 2.4ghz x 2
320 gig hard drive
POS onboard graphics equaling a Nvidia 8200
Superdrive
9 fucking USB ports
1 firewire port
Speakers
If bought with the computer (which I did), a 20" LDC for 30 dollars (nice grab).
Some card reader that accepts like 40 different types of cards

The box was only 369 dollars, so I am gonna spend the difference of my allowance and get an ATI Radeon HD 4570 for PCI-E 16. That bitch will run UT3 at all the highest settings at the highest resolution my monitor will do at 120 FPS. I will probably have to stop playing after the first 5 minutes while I finish cumming from all the excitement, lol. The box of tissues will be close at hand.

All in all, it's not bad so far. Installing windows live right now...169 megs...169 megs for a fn chat thingy, jfc.

T
{DOU} yO mAmA

Re: Got A New Bitch Today

Unread post by {DOU} yO mAmA »

why ruin a perfectly good machine with windows ? :lol:

mAmA
{DOU}The Jargonaut

Unread post by {DOU}The Jargonaut »

TOMMY! If you had waited one more day... Tonight at midnight starts tax free weekend here in NC. You could have saved even more. Return it tonight at 11:55 PM and re-buy it after 12:01!

*EDIT*
Also, you can not upgrade the graphics in a notebook... Unless you can re-solder the connections (assuming that they are even the same between Nvidia and ATi.

*SECOND EDIT*
Okay I am confused. The ATI Radeon HD 4570 is for laptops only, yet you must have purchased a desktop. Perhaps you were referring to the Radeon HD 4670? http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... 0&x=1&y=37
Tommy
I Worship His Shadow

Unread post by Tommy »

Close, I meant the 4870. It looks pretty serious.

I got the computer today for 2 reasons (instead of waiting for the weekend).

First, I am extremely impatient in these matters (computer matters) and always have been).

Second, I start my work week on Friday and have very little time to myself on my workdays. I figured there would be a good chance that best buy would be mobbed because of the event and then I would not be able to get the items anyway. I think it was a good bet as I went there on a Thursday at 10am and it still took almost an hour to get someone to pull the items for me. So there was a good chance I would have waited and got nothing anyway.

As a consolation I don't think the monitor for 30 dollars thing will extend to the weekend anyway.

The computer is performing pretty well so far. Of course with Vista everything is moved around, so not that I finally got slightly comfortable with XP I have to learn everything all over again.

T
Draco

Unread post by Draco »

I can hook you up with something other than Vista...

~Johnny Jones
Tommy
I Worship His Shadow

Unread post by Tommy »

Draco wrote:I can hook you up with something other than Vista...

~Johnny Jones
I am going to use this computer until I get a New Mac and then hook me up! Then this box will be a server. Until then I don't want to spend too much time with it in that way. It looks like I may be tapped for management at work so I am focusing my energies there right now.

T
Tommy
I Worship His Shadow

Unread post by Tommy »

So I come to know that my machines power supply won't be beffy enough for that v-card after all.

My options are to get a different card that I won't be happy with or get a new power supply.

Who here has done this, by done I mean swap out a power supply. I hear it is easy but I have never done it. What needs to be considered? Size? Price? If you are in the know, please educate me.

T
Tommy
I Worship His Shadow

Unread post by Tommy »

BTW, my computer case form factor is "small."

T
Concrete

Unread post by Concrete »

Changing it out is very easy. Certain plug ends, male and female fit together. You can not put the wrong plug in the wrong spot.
As far as buying a PSU, DO NOT BUY THE CHEAPEST. Get a good rated name brand. The cheap no name brands tend to die quickly and take other components with them, such as motherboard, cpu, ect.

Here is a link to a PSU calculator http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

And here is a link to a very good brand http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... y%2c%20Inc. But they may be more than you want to spend.

One last note, if you do swap out power supply's, try and do some cable management. The more the cables are out of the way the better the air will flow through the case, keeping it it cooler, thus longevity of the computer.
I killed a six-pack just to watch it die.
Without question the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you the wheel was also a fine invention, but a wheel does not go as well with pizza.
{DOU}The Jargonaut

Unread post by {DOU}The Jargonaut »

Asphalt wrote:
You can not put the wrong plug in the wrong spot.
Hehe, true, but sometimes I forget to put back all of the cables. :oops:

This is really easy T. I had to do it to my rig earlier this year. I had a NZXT ps go bad on me with less than a years use. I thought that they were a good brand. Oh well...
Concrete

Unread post by Concrete »

Asphalt wrote :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I killed a six-pack just to watch it die.
Without question the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you the wheel was also a fine invention, but a wheel does not go as well with pizza.
Abberation

Unread post by Abberation »

We have an extra GT8600 if you need one T :wink:
Classix

Unread post by Classix »

Congrats on the new "baby" Tommy! :)

-Classix
*DARKMATTER*

Unread post by *DARKMATTER* »

Abberation wrote:We have an extra GT8600 if you need one T :wink:
But is it low profile????
*DARKMATTER*

Unread post by *DARKMATTER* »

Tommy wrote:So I come to know that my machines power supply won't be beffy enough for that v-card after all.

My options are to get a different card that I won't be happy with or get a new power supply.

Who here has done this, by done I mean swap out a power supply. I hear it is easy but I have never done it. What needs to be considered? Size? Price? If you are in the know, please educate me.

T
Anybody want to jump in and do some corrections to this post :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Computer Chatter”