UT Crashing

Computer Related Topics Can Be Found Here
<cAr>Timnator

UT Crashing

Unread post by <cAr>Timnator »

Ok, UT experts. I've been playing UT for like 4-5 years on this computer. About the only changes I've made to it was to double the RAM up to a gig, and put in a new vid card (Nvidia 7600GS). The computer is a Dell p4 2.8. 160 gig HD, with they RAM and vid card I just mentioned.

Throughout the years I've rarely had problems with the system, If it ever got buggy It was usually OK after running Spybot, Ad-Aware and the occasional opening up the case and blowing it out with canned air. I've updated drivers for the vid card from time to time.
Recently, the system is crashing playing UT, and some other games. I can do all the internet stuff i want, run Photoshop, etc etc., but while playing UT, I'm lucky if I can last 10-15 minutes on a multiplayer game over the net. I get a hard crash, the screen freezes, the sound will sometimes reverberate with the last sound that was made before the crash, sometimes not. I have to restart by holding the power button, alt-tabbing, ctrl-alt-del doesnt work. Occasionally it will crash back to desktop with a error massage. UT will run fine in singleplayer mode.

I have re-installed UT
Ran virus-scans, malware, adware etc
Uninstalled recently installed programs
Tried new vid drivers, rolled back to older ones, even used drivers from like 2 years ago.

About the only thing that has changed recently is that we added comcast voice, which gave us a new cable modem, my router is hardwired to the modem, and my computer is hardwired to the router. My computer and another in the house are wired to the router, with another computer in the house running wireless off the router.

Any ideas? It seems like its a network play issue. Is it time to do a re-install of XP?

Oh and I have RivaTuner to test the stability of my vid card, the temps were at 65, I've also run the Video Card stability test, and it did lock up during that test, so maybe i'm wrong about the network issue.

Anyways, sorry for the long-ass post, but any help woild be appreciated.

Tim
Concrete

Re: UT Crashing

Unread post by Concrete »

You could try and install UT on one of the other computers. That will rule out the net. Might be a heat issue with the CPU. Try this program, it is the only one that works for reading temps on a P4 http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php
Thermal spec for most P4's is 64.4C If it is reaching this or higher it could be locking up.

If this is the case you might have to take the heat sink off and redo the Thermal Paste. Or it may just be time to do a fresh install of the OS.
Good luck Timnator always a pleasure playing with ya.

Concrete
I killed a six-pack just to watch it die.
Without question the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you the wheel was also a fine invention, but a wheel does not go as well with pizza.
Evil

Re: UT Crashing

Unread post by Evil »

I bet you either have a heat issue on the MB/CPU or else the HD is going... I had that same problem with a HD, when it did it I would stick my hand in there and the other HDs were cool but I couldn't even touch the main one for a couple seconds without a burn. Way too hot. Not sure why either, as changing to another HD as the main drive and using that one as a backup it rarely ever got warm. Evidently it couldn't stand running all the time.

Return to “Computer Chatter”