Hi - Long-Time DOUer

A Place To Say "Hey" To Clan DOU

Moderator: NATAN

NATAN
Site Admin

Re: Hi - Long-Time DOUer

Unread post by NATAN »

It's quite easy JD.
Your IP shows simularities with someones IP who has been permanent banned and we dont like to take any chances.

You were offered to come and talk with us on teamspeak and you denied.

Other members do understand how things like this are handled. No surprises for them here.
We have a members only section where threads like this are spelled out to them all.

You have no intention of ever again frequenting the DOU servers, so why bother?

From DOU's point of view this case is closed.
{DOU}(-:__NATAN__:-) - ( Clan DOU Recruitment Officer )

Coming Soon: http://clandou.com/cms/

"For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky"

Take a look at http://www.retro-en-design.com :)
.:Isabella:.

Unread post by .:Isabella:. »

One of our concerns is to keep out of our server banned people. It´s compound for all kind of undesirable players: rulebreakers, cheaters, annoying and even racist people, among other crap...
We read the IPs all the time, and check them in our data base due undesirables uses to change nicknames and try to avoid control using varied tricks.

Unfortunaletely, or fortunately according the point of view, several IPs from you, came into the same two ranges of a banned player. Exactly in the middle.

So you could imagine that we should ban your IP. As we did.

Obviously there is the possibility of making a mistake.

Considering that you are an old hand in this game, remaining in administration as you said, and you really know how the servers work, and what we need to get clean our server, you could be more cooperative and helped us to solve this. Nuker told you how.

But you denied, preferring to play the game of the offended.

That was your option, not ours. We decided to verify your point, that was the reason Nuker told you, and I have been working checking our archive of images, from three and four years ago for evidence of your presence in our server.

But if you prefer to stay banned, we will agree.

Regards
JD__

Unread post by JD__ »

So, I was banned some 10 days ago because my IP has similarities to some undesirable, this despite the fact that at no time prior to that did I exhibit any unacceptable behaviour, nor have I ever.

You're also questioning whether or not I've played the DOU server for years, despite Nuker having already attested to that very fact, additionally noting I'm actually one of the good guys. Was his word not good enough?

That is some very weak sauce, gents. You ignored the facts on the ground and banned me on a presumption.

The whole TS affair was not my option, seeing as I - from what I just read - apparently only had the option to go on in the Internet to defend my character to a bunch of faceless strangers. You'll forgive me if I find that beyond the pale.

Yet, somehow, despite all of the above, I shouldn't be offended.

I've been UT admin for a decade. I also happen to be an admin on two of the biggest NHL blogs on the Internet, and I can tell you things can get pretty heated when it comes to sports debates.

With that said, I can't even count on the fingers of one hand the number of people I've banned over the years, other than the occasional aimbot, which I don't even encounter anymore. The simple reason for this is I'm anything but trigger-happy, able to discuss issues in an even-handed manner, and gently persuade people to behave with civility.

What, however, I think I've been subjected to here is tantamount to good ol' fashioned admin abuse; guilty until proven innocent, now come explain yourself.

It takes me a week to get someone on here to formally tell me what I've done, there's no mention of it in the Hall Of Shame - which, apparently, defies protocol - and, in the end, I'm the problem because I'm uncomfortable with the notion of having to defend myself against something which one of your admins already told you was an obvious mistake.

As ol' Willy wrote, something is rotten in the state of Denmark, guys.

I'll finish up with a kind note of caution. I'm 47 years old, the father of three amazing teenagers, and have been retired for 6 years. I was able to retire because I was, to put it vaguely, a successful finance executive who worked way too much, and I wanted to see my kids grow up.

I remain a respected member of the Canadian financial community and continue to consult from time to time, generally as a favour to the senior managers and boards of the companies who were my clients, back in the day.

What I just witnessed around here is, to put it very simply, bad business practice. The manner in which it was executed and subsequently handled, particularly in the fashion with which the onus was disingenuously placed at my feet because someone thinks I had an obligation to head to the Star Chamber.

My son never plays on the DOU server because he finds the environment stifling and overly controlling, at times. I don't really notice because, like I said, I retired young. I've been around the block many times.

All to say, you're innocently mistaken if you believe this manner of running things is how successful organizations operate, let alone conducive to growing the community over the long term.

Do as you will.

JD
NATAN
Site Admin

Unread post by NATAN »

Got a feeling this thread will go on for another 2 pages.
You have already said you are not interested in playing on the DOU servers anymore, so whats the point?

:roll:

JD__

Unread post by JD__ »

NATAN wrote:Got a feeling this thread will go on for another 2 pages.
You have already said you are not interested in playing on the DOU servers anymore, so whats the point?
What's the point?

Objectively ask yourself how we ended up here, Natan.

If you don't see any accountability issues, then I suppose I can see why you see no point. Entirely your purview.
NATAN
Site Admin

Unread post by NATAN »

Detail from your earlier post:

"To be clear, I'm not asking to be unbanned. I have no intention of ever again frequenting the DOU servers, for obvious reasons".

Thats clear enough to me.

JD__

Unread post by JD__ »

Your flippant disregard for the genesis of the issue, and continued effort to somehow paint me as the problem, is not going to compel me to be any less polite, Natan. There is virtually nothing at stake here.

I am, however, admittedly disappointed nobody else wants to step up and right the situation.

JD__ wrote:So, I was banned some 10 days ago because my IP has similarities to some undesirable, this despite the fact that at no time prior to that did I exhibit any unacceptable behaviour, nor have I ever.
Some banned players have very acceptable behaviour. There is no way of knowing anything with that...
JD__ wrote:You're also questioning whether or not I've played the DOU server for years, despite Nuker having already attested to that very fact, additionally noting I'm actually one of the good guys. Was his word not good enough?

That is some very weak sauce, gents. You ignored the facts on the ground and banned me on a presumption.
Nuker words drove us to find a way to solve this ban. You refused to cooperate. Your fault.
JD__ wrote:The whole TS affair was not my option, seeing as I - from what I just read - apparently only had the option to go on in the Internet to defend my character to a bunch of faceless strangers. You'll forgive me if I find that beyond the pale.

Yet, somehow, despite all of the above, I shouldn't be offended.
Was your option. Searching for other proofs in your favor was my way to ensure giving you an answer.
You are a faceless stranger for us also...
JD__ wrote:I've been UT admin for a decade. I also happen to be an admin on two of the biggest NHL blogs on the Internet, and I can tell you things can get pretty heated when it comes to sports debates.

With that said, I can't even count on the fingers of one hand the number of people I've banned over the years, other than the occasional aimbot, which I don't even encounter anymore. The simple reason for this is I'm anything but trigger-happy, able to discuss issues in an even-handed manner, and gently persuade people to behave with civility.
Good for you. That's not work here. People is always trying tricks.
JD__ wrote:What, however, I think I've been subjected to here is tantamount to good ol' fashioned admin abuse; guilty until proven innocent, now come explain yourself.
This is not a court, neither we have a trial. This is simple: this is our server, we pay the bill, we put the rules.
JD__ wrote:It takes me a week to get someone on here to formally tell me what I've done, there's no mention of it in the Hall Of Shame - which, apparently, defies protocol - and, in the end, I'm the problem because I'm uncomfortable with the notion of having to defend myself against something which one of your admins already told you was an obvious mistake.

As ol' Willy wrote, something is rotten in the state of Denmark, guys.
We do not work here every day at every hour. And this is not a paid service, so that you could do a claim for bad service. We are spending time in/with you. That is enough.... and "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
JD__ wrote:I'll finish up with a kind note of caution. I'm 47 years old, the father of three amazing teenagers, and have been retired for 6 years. I was able to retire because I was, to put it vaguely, a successful finance executive who worked way too much, and I wanted to see my kids grow up.

I remain a respected member of the Canadian financial community and continue to consult from time to time, generally as a favour to the senior managers and boards of the companies who were my clients, back in the day.
Congratulations. I'm 38 years old, the mother of two amazing kids. Fully working in life, an Electrical Engineer, former Officer in the Military by ten years....
JD__ wrote:What I just witnessed around here is, to put it very simply, bad business practice. The manner in which it was executed and subsequently handled, particularly in the fashion with which the onus was disingenuously placed at my feet because someone thinks I had an obligation to head to the Star Chamber.

My son never plays on the DOU server because he finds the environment stifling and overly controlling, at times. I don't really notice because, like I said, I retired young. I've been around the block many times.

All to say, you're innocently mistaken if you believe this manner of running things is how successful organizations operate, let alone conducive to growing the community over the long term.

Do as you will.

JD
If you are trying to say us there are an only way to make a good administration over an organization (your way), I will repeat: "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Good luck.
JD__

Unread post by JD__ »

{DOU}.R_Mad wrote:Your fault.
Perfect summary, Mad.

You guys obviously screwed up, obstinately refuse to own up to it, instead making demands of me - I'm the one expected to defend myself, not you - and, in the end, it's all my fault.

Wow.

Thanks for the kind wishes, but I think DOU will be better served by the good luck.
NATAN
Site Admin

Unread post by NATAN »

JD__ wrote:Your flippant disregard for the genesis of the issue, and continued effort to somehow paint me as the problem, is not going to compel me to be any less polite, Natan. There is virtually nothing at stake here.

I am, however, admittedly disappointed nobody else wants to step up and right the situation.
We dont paint you as the problem. I think you are a victim of circumstances. We were willing to solve the issue.

You didnt want to talk with us on TS. Thats fine, but the issue stays.

You dont want to play on our server even if you would be unbanned.
Looks to me like you just cant deal with the situation as it is.

For the record; NATAN (51 years, father of five kids age 3 till 16)

Bye Bye now....

JD__

Unread post by JD__ »

NATAN wrote:Looks to me like you just cant deal with the situation as it is.
The situation is not mine to deal with.

But, you already know that.

Cheers to you as well, Natan, despite that last little attempt to be dismissive. Do resist the urge. The high road is far more rewarding.

JD__ wrote:
{DOU}.R_Mad wrote:Your fault.
Perfect summary, Mad.

You guys obviously screwed up, obstinately refuse to own up to it, instead making demands of me - I'm the one expected to defend myself, not you - and, in the end, it's all my fault.

Wow.

Thanks for the kind wishes, but I think DOU will be better served by the good luck.
Do not move my words out of context JD. I wrote "your fault" when you decided not cooperate with us. Not your fault if you were banned.

On the other hand, I DID MY EFFORT. I tried to find evidence to let me know that you were not the same banned player. So I spent my free time with my kids to work in a solution.
The problem is your arrogance. No big deal to go to TS to talk the guys. The problem would have gone, and we would not have this discussion.

Anyway we are good administrators. Do not worry.
NATAN
Site Admin

Unread post by NATAN »

Have we reached page 3 yet?

JD__

Unread post by JD__ »

NATAN wrote:Have we reached page 3 yet?
Depends, first it was the TS thing, then my desire not to frequent the server, and now, from what I just gathered, the problem is my arrogance.

Want to further explore that one or are we good?
NATAN
Site Admin

Unread post by NATAN »

Yup, just what I thought.

This will go on and on and on....

End of discussion for me.

Have a nice day!

Return to “Introduce Yourself...”